Search for content in message boards

Gassaway, Tennessee photos

Gassaway, Tennessee photos

Kristi Moffitt (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jun 2004 2:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: GRIZZLE, SADDLER, MELTON, STONE, SMITHSON, BASS, ESTES, WOMACK, CATHCART, MCGHEE, TASSEY, POWELL, HOLLANDSWORTH, YEARGAN
Okay,
Here is the deal. I have some very old pictures of Gassaway and people who lived there. I have deep roots in Cannon County, Tennessee and I have tried countless times to share these photos with the site coordinators for both of the Cannon Co. webpages...hoping they would post them on those websites. I have many old pictures of people that are labeled who to my knowledge aren't even related to me. One example is Dr. Henry McGhee who was a doctor from Gassaway. I would love to find people who might be interested in copies of these pictures. I am an avid genealogist and I understand the value of these pictures. It is my sole intent to SHARE these photos, NOT sell them. Some of the surnames on these photos are, GRIZZLE, SADDLER, MELTON, STONE, SMITHSON, BASS, ESTES, WOMACK, CATHCART, MCGHEE, TASSEY, POWELL, HOLLANDSWORTH, YEARGAN. My personal family history can be viewed at www.kristimoffitt.com and a few pictures are posted on my other website which is www.gensearch.org
Please email me at kkcem@blomand.net if you are interested in any of these photos. I can email a scanned version or snail mail a hard copy.

Re: Gassaway, Tennessee photos

Posted: 10 Jun 2004 3:32PM GMT
Surnames: Henderson, Gassaway, Gasaway, Cole, Whalen, Whelan, Beeman, Kirk, Jones
Hello Kristi - I don't have any of the names you mentioned in my line, but I was wondering if you might have any information on the origins of Gassaway, Tennesee. My gg grandmother, Lucretia Leonard Barnett was married to a Gassaway/Gasaway. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Jennifer :)

Posted: 27 Oct 2008 1:35AM GMT
I am interested in the orgin of Gassaway, Tennessee. This is my family name. None of the names you mentioned seem to fit any in my chart but I am still interested in the history of the town. You can reach me at renite4u@sbcglobal.net Waiting to hear from you
Thank You
Bev.

Posted: 27 Oct 2008 9:03AM GMT
In The History of Cannon County:

WHEN GASSAWAY WAS YOUNG
Those settling along the valley in and around the present site of Gassaway were: Benjamin Gassaway, for whom the village was named. He was the father of James R. Gassaway, a Mexican War soldier and father of Hiram Gassaway, a progressive farmer of that neighborhood and for many years a member of the County Court. Benjamin was also the father of Charley Gassaway, the first merchant of the village of Gassaway. George Washington Grizzle, Daniel Grizzle, Ira Hollandsworth, Bill Powell, Clavin Smithson, a Mexican solder, John Jetton, grandfather of Bill Jetton and great grandfather of Sheelah Jetton, Madison Wilcher, Jesse McGee, Fountain Owen, Hugh Morris, Hiram Hale, John Melton, father of Luke and Joe; Arch Markum, Sam George, Henry Campbell, Newton Powell, Sutton Tassey, Ben Bullard (who lived to be 106 years old), Thomas POwell, Alexander Higgan, Sr., Jasper Bogle, (first Constable of that district), James Dodd, (the first Juror).

I am directly descended from Daniel Grizzle who supposedly settled in that area at the same time as Benjamin Gassaway. My understanding is that they came from North Carolina by way of Kentucky. I believe they were from the Nash County, NC area.

Posted: 19 Feb 2011 9:43AM GMT
Surnames: Henderson, Gassaway, Barnett, Cole, Whalen
My GG Grandmother Lucretia Leonard Barnett b. 1830 Ohio was married to Charles Gassaway b. 1815 (possibly the Charlie Gassaway you mentioned). If anyone out there has any information on these two people, I would dearly love to hear from you. They have one of my many illusive ancestors.

My public tree can be viewed on this website: under the name "Jones-Kirk-Cuttle-Whalen Family Project"

Thanks ~ Jennifer Kirk Jones

Posted: 21 Jun 2011 4:50AM GMT
my great grandfather was sutton polk tassey-his daughter addie tassey is my grandmother, she died in 1925 at the age of 41. he died in 1918, he was survived by his 3rd wife susan ledbetter tassey. i would like to know who was the mother of addie tassey. addie was born in 1884 and three sisters were born before her. sutt married josephine higdon in 1885-she was not the mother of his 4 daughters. there is no record of children by this union. he had three children with susan ledbetter. who was my great grandmother?

Posted: 19 Jul 2012 4:54AM GMT
Surnames: Higdon, Tassey
I have not been able to determine who the mother is of the four girls. My Great Grandmother Laura P Tassey always referred to Josie as her Mom and the other 3 girls as her sisters. The 1880 census shows Elizabeth Higdon age 54 living in Cannon, Co, Poor House with 6 grandchildren. I did find out that Amanda Melvina, Josie's sister had 4 illegitimate sons. I am beginning to wonder if Josie brought the children of one of her siblings to the marriage or vice versa Sutt brought children. Other scenario is that Sutt was the father but did not marry Josie until after they were born....I'll keep digging...

Posted: 12 Sep 2012 12:42AM GMT
sutton tassey was my grandfather. his last wife was my grandmother. ther children were jenny, my mother grcey and houston my email add,is jimmyferrell@comcast.net

Posted: 6 Feb 2014 6:03AM GMT
Kristi, I would be very interested in a copy of these photos. I have family that was from the community (i.e. Hollandsworth & Melton) and would also like to share them on my photos page. Excited to see who I can find. Thanks so much. beckyrlsm@yahoo.com I'm not sure of your location, but I live in Woodbury and either form of receiving the photos would be great. Thanks!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic