Search for content in message boards

Cassidy's Hotel in New Orleans

Cassidy's Hotel in New Orleans

Audrey (View posts)
Posted: 22 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cassidy, Gilmore
Does anyone know anything about the Cassidy family who operated Cassidy"s Hotel & Restaurant in New Orleans in the 1800's? I believe Hugh Cassidy was the proprietor and he had a sister, Catherine (married to Hugh Gilmore) living in the city.

Re: Cassidy's Hotel in New Orleans

Debra Donald (View posts)
Posted: 2 Aug 2001 2:46PM GMT
Classification: Birth
Surnames: William David
Dear Audrey,

I am in Search of information Regarding an African American
Family in New Orleans. The Father and Grand Father Names
Were William David Cassidy. I am trying very hard to locate
any one that know any thing about this family to help my ex-husband and daughter who are Cassidy's from New Orleans.
Knowing that African Americans back in the 1800's probably
did not own this hotel, it may be the your family may have owned William David Cassidy Mother and father as slaves. If you have more information on your grandparents I would love to keep researching it because my ex husband knows of no living African American Cassidy's or anu information on the Cassidy name

Audrey (View posts)
Posted: 27 Aug 2001 9:36PM GMT
Sorry I am so tardy getting back to you. I am also sorry to say I know very little about my Cassidy line other than names. I am unaware that Hugh Cassidy owned any slaves. I do know there were several Cassidy families in New Orleans around the same time though. If I come accross your Cassidy name I will let you know. Good luck in your research.

Debra Donald (View posts)
Posted: 28 Aug 2001 2:03PM GMT
Dear Audrey,

Thank you so much for your reply. However I would like to know if you ever thought about ordering the census records of the Cassidy Family in New orleans. It is very strange that after
searching this site backward and forward, your family seems to be the only family from New Orleans. All the other Cassidys
are from other places within the u.s. Although my husband is African American, I still feel that your grandfather may have owned my husbands greart great grand parents. Even when i look in the New orleans telephone today it is only 2 Cassidy familes in the whole book. I am going to search for a way to get that census record, that record should reveal a lot of information. If I am successful I will share it with you. Thanks

Debra Donald( I am a donald because I am no longer married to William Cassidy, however my daughter Mahogany is still a Cassidy and we may be the only African American family that holds this Irish Name God Bless

Audrey (View posts)
Posted: 28 Aug 2001 4:55PM GMT
After a little further research I have found the following:

There is no recorded birth certificate or death record in the online Orleans parish database for a William David Cassidy. There is a David Cassidy who died at 38 yrs on December 31, 1870 - located in Volume 51, Page 94. ??

In the 1851 New Orleans directory there are the following Cassidys: Henry, James, J.P., John, John, Patrick, Thomas, Mrs. M, and there is a William "Cassiday" listed as a stabling and living at 53 Gajennie.

In the 1859 New Orleans directory, there are three John's, James, H., and Hugh.

These are the only directories I have presently available. I don't know if any of this helps but it's all I could find.

Good luck. I will keep you posted if I come across anything else.

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 10:39PM GMT
Edited: 30 Nov 2012 10:41PM GMT
Surnames: Cassidy
I am responding to this post that I just seen today. I just made the same statement you made about African Americans with the last name Cassidy. My last name is Cassidy and I am African American.In fact my Name is David William Michael Cassidy, my father was David William, and his father was William Earl Cassidy. As far as the hotel in New Orleans, this is the first I have heard of it. I just met another African American whose name is Michael David Cassidy and his father is named Michael David Cassidy. he is the only other Cassidy of African American heritage outside of m family that I know. I would love for you to look at are family tree and see what you can find. You may contact me at n4davesart@verizon.net. I would love to hear from you or the other African American Cassidys you are connected to.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions