Search for content in message boards

SHUMAN Family of Waldoboro

SHUMAN Family of Waldoboro

Bill Conary (View posts)
Posted: 10 Sep 2003 4:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SHUMAN, TEAGUE, HEYER, FEYLER
Need info on John SHUMAN and Mary HEYER (Or is it Jane FEYLER) family. A son Joel was b. abt 1820. Were there other child? Specifically, was there a MARY ANN SHUMAN, b. Dec. 1821 who m. Hiram TEAGUE? What happened to Hiram?

Re: SHUMAN Family of Waldoboro

Edward Kelley (View posts)
Posted: 29 Nov 2003 1:40AM GMT
Surnames: PRACHT, PROCHT, PROCK, PRAUGHT, WAGNER
In the book "Broad Bay Pioneers" there are many references to Schumans, Heyers, and Feylers but very little about John Shuman and Jane Feyler.

John Schuman was the son of John Schuman and he was in the War of 1812. He married Jane A. Feyler born 1795 in Waldoboro and died 20 July 1867. She is buried in the Comery Cemetery in Waldoboro. They married in Nov 1814 in Waldoboro. There is no mention of any children.

Bill Conary (View posts)
Posted: 29 Nov 2003 2:24AM GMT
Surnames: SHUMAN, FEYLER
Thank you Ed for your response. We believe the circumstantial evidence so far suggests that John and Jane A. (Feyler) Shuman of Waldoboro were the parents of at least two children, Joel Shuman b 1818 and Mary Ann Shuman b 1823.

Mike Daigle (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jan 2004 6:29PM GMT
Surnames: Feyler, Schumann, Schuman
Can you do a lookup for me in that Broad Bay Pioneers book? I have a Catherine Schumann or Schuman in my line, born 1763, and died 22march 1853 in Waldoboro, Maine. I need data regarding where she was born, her parents names and info, and her husband, John Filer, born 1754 and his parents. Could you help?

Thanks
Mike Daigle

Edward Kelley (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jan 2004 12:14AM GMT
Johann Ernst Schumann was from Idstein, Germany. His son, Johann Nicolaus Schumann bp 16 Jan 1701 Idstein, Hessen-Nassau, Germany brought his family to Broad Bay on the ship "Elisabeth" in 1753. Wife's name is not mentioned. Many of his 7 children were baptized in Brake, Lippe, Northern Germany so it is implied that the family may have moved back to Idstein before coming to America. One of his son's, Johann Berendt, married Jane (?) abt 1754 and had 7 children. They were Charles abt 1754, Adam 1756, Anna Mary 18 Jun 1757, Catherine 1762, Philip abt 1766, John 1768 and Christine Jane 1769.

Catherine married John Feiler, son of Godfrey Feiler and Regina Fahs, abt 1783. They had 10 children, all listed in the book.

There are too many references to the Feiler family to list here. You should try to get your local library to borrow the book for you. It's called Broad Bay Pioneers by WW Whitaker and GT Horlacher and was published by Picton Press, Rockport, ME in April 1998, ISBN 0-89725-210-1.

A word of caution. I have found the book to contain numerous errors so you should be certain to cross-check all data.

Mike Daigle (View posts)
Posted: 7 Mar 2004 8:36AM GMT
Surnames: Schumann, Feyler, Feiler
thanks Edward for your information. I will follow your advice.

Mike Daigle

Posted: 6 May 2005 7:17PM GMT
I am descended from John and Jane (Feyler) Shuman and have some family documents and photos including a photo of Jane.

Bill Conary (View posts)
Posted: 7 May 2005 3:28PM GMT
Surnames: SHUMAN, TEAGUE, FEYLER, SIDELINGER
Since my original posting, I have established that Mary Ann Shuman a daughter of John and Jane A. (Feyler) Shuman m. 1st Hiram Teague, m. 2nd Isaac Sidelinger. I would be interested in any birth and death information for Mary Ann Shuman, should anyone have that.

Posted: 17 Jul 2005 4:05PM GMT
Surnames: Shuman
I have been reviewing my papers on the Shuman family and came across a family sheet of John and Jane (Feyler) Shuman's family that was written by their granddaughter Nancy (Shuman) Schwartz (unfortunately not dated). She lists 13 children for John and Jane but there is not a Mary Ann nor a Joel. This certainly isn't definitive evidence that they weren't children of John and Jane but it does introduce a seed of doubt. This John died in 1853 but there was another John Shuman who died insolvent in 1850. I am still trying to sort out their relationship because Broad Bay Pioneers has John (d. 1850) as the father of John (d. 1853) but my research has led me to believe that the he was instead an uncle. I would be very interested in sharing the research that we have each done because two heads are much better than one!

Bill Conary (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jul 2005 9:20PM GMT
Surnames: SHUMAN
I would be happy to share and compare notes with you. Contact me at conarywmrb@comcast.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions