Search for content in message boards

FTM 2011 crash generating charts

FTM 2011 crash generating charts

Posted: 6 Mar 2011 9:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Everytime I try to generate an ancestor or descendant chart from the Publish menu the program shuts down. Generating, saving and printing any of the other reports from the Publish menu works fine.

I am using Windows 7 Pro 32bit. I already tried reinstalling FTM, all windows components are up to date, I've tried turning off security. I have emailed tech support twice with this concern and have not received a reply.

Thanks

Re: FTM 2011 crash generating charts

Posted: 7 Mar 2011 7:24AM GMT
Have you installed the current patch for FTM 2011?

Your version number should read 20.00.376

Also can you make a new test file with a few names and see if it crashes on a new file. I am trying to figure out if it is FTM or the file.

On your existing problem file have you run a Tools>compact?

John D

Posted: 7 Mar 2011 11:45AM GMT
Version number is 20.0.0.379 I have already tried a small test file and it did the same thing. I also have aready tried to compact my main file also with no changes.

Posted: 7 Mar 2011 8:55PM GMT
I think then you need to talk with the Ancestry/FTM help people

John D

Posted: 7 Mar 2011 9:35PM GMT
dlanter,

Are you running Family Tree Maker As Administrator?

Please go to this website:

http://pastftm.custhelp.com/

Enter 5158 into the Search box and follow those instructions. Please look at all of the solutions on that page.

Thank you,

Russ

Posted: 8 Mar 2011 12:16AM GMT
Edited: 8 Mar 2011 12:17AM GMT
John, Thanks for trying to help. I wish the FTM / Ancestory.com people would respond to my emails.

Russ, Yes, I'm running as administrator. I have tried every fix that is suggested on the page you mentioned even though I'm not having the same problems that it mentioned. None of their suggestions have helped.

Posted: 8 Mar 2011 12:30AM GMT
The word I used was "talk" ring them

John D

Posted: 8 Mar 2011 4:15AM GMT
Out of curiosity, how many people are in your file, and how many would be included in these reports, if they could run?

When you say that you haven't run into this trouble with other reports, did you include the Kinship Report, the Enhanced Family Chart, or the custom report - for the same people? These three reports, in particular, have seemed to me to be sensitive to "blowing" up.

Posted: 8 Mar 2011 11:27AM GMT
Edited: 8 Mar 2011 11:28AM GMT
There are about 2500 people in my file, but only about 200 that I am trying include in the charts. The other reports that you mentioned works fine.

In the Publish menu, on the left side of the screen under Publication Types the only ones that are giving me trouble are in the Charts section.

I just have to give tech support a call I guess.

Posted: 8 Mar 2011 11:55PM GMT
In case anyone else is having similar problems, I thought I would post an update.

I called Ancestry.com software tech support today. They had me do a manual uninstall of FTM and reinstall but that didn't fix the problem. All the other suggestions that they had was what I had already tried myself so they wasn't able to help further.

The tech support rep sent a report of the problem along with my contact information to the software development team and now I have to wait for them to find the problem and develop a solution for it. If or when I hear from them and get it fixed I will post the results here.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions