Search for content in message boards

Family Tree Maker 2011 will not open--new install

Family Tree Maker 2011 will not open--new install

Posted: 6 Mar 2011 9:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Newbie here. Just attempted to install FTM 2011 on my desktop. It looks like the installation completed perfectly, but program doesn't open. Windows 7, 32 bit. Tried repair install, uninstall, reinstall, turn off anti-virus, repeat everything. One (and only one) time, when I double clicked desktop shortcut, a window popped up saying there was an update to FTM. I okayed the update and nothing else ever happened. When I open Task Manager, FTM is not a running program, but FTM.exe is active in processes. If I close the process and attempt to open program, it still won't open.

This is a Sunday afternoon, no tech support until tomorrow. Can anyone offer any insight into the problem, please?

Thank you in advance.

Re: Family Tree Maker 2011 will not open--new install

Posted: 7 Mar 2011 9:52AM GMT
Open FTM in Administrator mode then install the update and then restart FTM

I suspect all will then be well.

John D

Posted: 8 Mar 2011 1:51PM GMT
John D. Thank you for your response. Actually, I was administrator. I continued just flailing around with it, gave up and when I returned, it worked. Go figure. I do appreciate your kind reply.

Posted: 16 Mar 2011 12:07PM GMT
Thanks for this! It worked fine for a long time, then this morning would NOT run.

I "repaired" it, with no effect. I removed and reinstalled it, with no effect. I tried starting it several times over, and found I had about six copies running under "Processes" - but still no front screen.

Then I Googled, found this thread, and all is well.

Why couldn't they set it so that it doesn't need that "hidden" fix? Poor show, Ancestry.

Posted: 16 Mar 2011 10:02PM GMT
ancestryfree,

Since this is your first post on this thread, you might want to provide some more details about what is happening to you.

But, before you do, please restart your computer then start Family Tree Maker. Does it open? If so, please Register the Program. You must do that when you install or reinstall the program.

If is doesn't start, please provide details of what happens including any Error Messages.

Russ

Posted: 21 Mar 2011 1:43AM GMT
If anyone can help me too....I actually have versions 2008 and 2009 which will not open on my desktop running XP. 2008 worked up to about a year ago then when I try to open it I get and immediate "Family Tree Maker 2008 (and the 2009 version I installed does the same thing) has encountered a problem and needs to close" message. It works fine on my laptop and when I called (again about a year ago) I was on the phone with the tech for over 2 hours with no solution. She finally gave up because it works on the laptop....

Posted: 21 Mar 2011 11:44AM GMT
sbookie,

First, I would un-install Version 2008 completely. Then, verify if the problem still exists with Version 2009.

Russ
per page

Find a board about a specific topic