Search for content in message boards

How to import 23&Me data into Ancestry?

How to import 23&Me data into Ancestry?

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 7:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
I bought the 23&Me kit before Ancestry started offering a kit. I downloaded the raw data, but does anyone know how to import or add the data from 23&me to my Ancestry account?

Re: How to import 23&Me data into Ancestry?

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 10:41PM GMT
Unfortunately there is no way to import 23&Me autosomal data into Ancestry. If you have your Y-STR values or MtDNA data you can enter them manually, but you can't upload any autosomal data.

Jim

Posted: 11 Jan 2013 1:09AM GMT
Jim, thats what i suspected. To bad this is not supported.
Thanks for the conformation!
-d

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 7:16PM GMT
Well, you *can* import the mtDNA and Y-DNA (if you're male or know your paternal line) to your Ancestry account. Not import as such but you can enter it by hand. Sorry I don't have the links handy. I did my mtDNA and it was rather a pain to get the SNPs right (not only did I have to know where mine differed from CRS but then I had to remove the ones it didn't want). 23andme has a page giving you the correct SNPs to use, though you may need to edit them down.

Also, get to know gedmatch.com. An awesome free site that lets you upload your raw data (in a private way) and then you can do all sorts of ancestry and relative match searches. If Ancestry.com ever gives people raw data, Gedmatch will probably accept it. Right now it's 23andme, FTDNA, and I'm not sure about Geno 2.0. Autosomal (including X) only.

If you're interested in health aspects, you can go to SNPedia.com and use their fab health program.

Cyndi

Posted: 31 Jul 2013 2:08PM GMT
You would think that Ancestry would like to have 23andMe's business. I also purchased 23andMe before coming to Ancestry. I'm just starting out in both programs and its all Greek to me. I don't understand the Raw material at all. I guess I'm going to have to find a good DNA for Dummies. So, please forgive my stupidity but why couldn't they do women also?

Posted: 31 Jul 2013 11:36PM GMT
fastazzu - Women don't have a Y-chromosome - I think that is what was being referenced in the post before yours.

Posted: 1 Aug 2013 5:37AM GMT
@ Donna,
I would suggest you should use gedmatch.com. The site should be accepting new uploads from Ancestry very soon, and it is an awesome site. I uploaded my 23andme data last year so as to have a broader base of matches. Not only can you see who you match on all your chromosomes in a list, you can select certain matches that look closer than 5-8th cousin range and look at just that one or triangulate 3 -4 at a time,much like the 23andme Ancestry tool which ANcestry DNA does not have.
The learning curve to efficiently using your genetic data can be a slow one, but very rewarding!

Posted: 5 Aug 2013 7:07PM GMT
You can also upload 23andMe and AncestryDNA results to FTDNA for a fee. There is a link on the lower left of their home page. However, given their new test price, it may not be worth the savings. It is a good idea to be in all three databases to maximize matches.

Posted: 11 Aug 2013 4:00PM GMT
Thank you Lincoln Lowery.

I'm just getting into the research and I don't understand most of it.

Have a great day!

Posted: 11 Aug 2013 4:32PM GMT
You are very welcome. Good day to you, too.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions