Search for content in message boards

Phantom spouse

Phantom spouse

Posted: 8 Mar 2011 5:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have been importing and merging people from GEDCOM files.
I now have a number of people who are being shown as having qty 2 spouses (when they actually had one).
The second spouse appears in People/Family lower pane as [no spouse entered].
I also have a line for shared facts with [unknown] in People/Person window.
I cannot rid myself of this phantom data. I have tried adding another spouse, unlinking him, deleting him and I am still left with the phantom.
There are no sources or media for the phantom spouse.
I have tried compacting the file.
Anyone have any ideas?

Re: Phantom spouse

Posted: 8 Mar 2011 7:47PM GMT
Select the "real" spouse.

In People Space, go to Menu > Persons > Attach/Detach > Detach. You will see the real person's families that he is involved with. One of those families will show the "Phantom Spouse". Select to detach the "real" person from that relationship.

Click ok.

You're done.

Good luck - and welcome to the world of merging.

Posted: 8 Mar 2011 10:58PM GMT
silverfox, thank you.
Merging is complex - I have used FTM to source the standard post registration index entries. I am using Legacy to discover the relevant IGI sources for pre registration citations. It is those that I am merging with FTM.
Get it wrong and you end up with duplicates!

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 4:00AM GMT
Thank you for that. Worked like a charm.

Posted: 14 Jul 2014 3:42AM GMT
You're a lifesaver! Been tearing my hair out with these phantom spouses... thank you!

Posted: 14 Jul 2014 4:48AM GMT
Also use the FTM knowledge Base

It often has a good solution and screen shots

http://ftm.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5164/kw/unkn...

John D

Posted: 14 Jul 2014 12:01PM GMT
Edited: 14 Jul 2014 12:02PM GMT
Many times when there is a phantom spouse it is caused by children being attached to the phantom. The solution is to bring up the People Family view, high lite each attach child, then click the menu item person, and then click "detach selected person". Once all of the children are detached from the phantom the phantom will disappear. Make sure when the pop up comes up you make the right selection for the person you want to detach.

I just dry ran the procedure and realized I have two valid people of the same name in two different generations.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic