Search for content in message boards

john r jones

john r jones

Posted: 16 Mar 2002 11:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Jul 2002 7:36PM GMT
I'm looking for John R Jones(b.1844NY), his wife Joanna(nee Squiers NY) and daughters Edna P (b.1869), Esther E (b. 1874)
They were in 1880 census at Burlington, Racine. John R ran a drugstore in Burlington.
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Cathrin

Re: john r jones

Posted: 18 Mar 2002 7:35PM GMT
Cathrin ~

I notice, in a couple of online databases, the following pieces of information regarding John R. Jones of Racine County. Are these your man?

From Civil War Service Index:

Jones John R., Co. F, 22nd Wisconsin Infantry. Resident of RACINE Co., WI. Service Record: Enlisted as a Private on 9 August 1862. Mustered out on 12 June 1865 in Washington, DC.
Source: Roster of Wisconsin Volunteers: War of the Rebellion. (WI Roster) Published in 1886
----
JONES, JOHN R.
WI 1890 Veterans Schedule
State: WI
County: Racine County
Township: E.D. 133 Racine
Page 003
------
The following entries are from the Racine, Wisconsin City Directories, 1890 and 1892:

John R. Jones -- paints, oils and wall paper; 317 6th. St.; 730 Park Ave., Racine, WI.
John R. Jones, JR., clerk, 730 Park Ave., Racine, WI.
John R. Jones, moulder, boards 1336 College Ave., Racine, WI.

Since your John R. Jones owned a store, you said, Cathrin, he'd probably be the one above with "paints, oils & wallpaper" (and the son, John Jr.). It'd be strange to own a store at one point and then become a moulder. And stores back then sold lots of things (e.g, a drugstore may carry paint and wallpaper).

The following entry in the pre-1907 WI Death Records Index may or may not be your John, since it lacks the middle initial:

Name: John Jones
Death Date: 20 Dec 1902
County: Racine

Hope something here helps, Cathrin :)

Best ~
Kathe C.

Posted: 19 Mar 2002 4:43PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jul 2002 7:36PM GMT
kathe- thanks very much for your help. Unfortunately John R Jones was in the 41st Wisconsin - I've found him there - but I'm sure the information you have given me regarding the drugstore is correct. Having an address to go on has helped. Thanks again. Cathrin

Posted: 28 Feb 2012 12:23AM GMT
I noted the reply from Kathe C to Cathrin, regarding John R Jones.

Kathe C. post of 18 March 2002 seems to fit the details of John R Jones, born in Machynlleth, Wales, on October 6, 1840. He was the son of William Jones, (born at Dolyfonddu Farm, Llanwrin) and Anne Lewis, (daughter of the White Lion Inn, Machynlleth Parish).

In 1851, the family had moved to Tynrhos Farm, Cemmaes Parish and, it was from here they emigrated to Racine County, in July 1856. We have found their shipping record.

The US 1860 Census reveals them living in the Third Ward, City of Racine. William Jones is described as a 'Day Labourer' and John Jones, as a Painter. The details of his Civil War involvement corresponds to the information given by Kathe C.

Following his Civil War Career, John R Jones returned for 9 years to his old trade/profession. In Nov 1876, he was elected Borough Treasurer of Racine County and, again in 1878.

The 1880 US Census shows him married to Ellen Jones, living in Brooklyn Green, Wisconsin, with the position of Treasurer. John R Jones (aged 39), Ellen Jones (35), John R Jones (son 10) and daughter Anna Jones (5).

By 1900 US Census, Racine 2 John R Jones (59), Ellen (ife but age not clear), Anna L Jones (daughter 25), John R Junior Jones (30 and married) to Catherine (d in law of head of household 25). A J Rowland Jones is described as nephew aged 4. Could he be a grandson not nephew?)

By 1910 Census, in Racine 3, John R Jones (aged 69 and living within own means) with his wife, C Cannor Jones (aged 65. Confused somewhat here by the name). Here, I would deviate from Kathe C. possible death record for John R Jones. His death must have come after the Census of 1910 and possibly before the Census of 1920.

Meanwhile, in 1910, his son John R Jones (aged 40), Catherine (his wife (33), John R Jones (son 14) and William (son 1)are living in Racine 3.

In the 1920 US Census, John R Jones (son of Civil War Veteran) is a Manager of a Coal Yard aged 49, Marion (wife 43), John Rowland Jones (son 23, Secretary in Coal Yard) and William (11).

In the 1930 US Census, John R Jones (aged 60 is Secretary Coal with William Jones (son aged 21 living with him).

In 1882, David Jones, the uncle of John R Jones Civil War Vet, died in Llanwrin Parish, Wales and left £650.00 Stirling for each of his surviving six nephews and neices. Most of his Estate was left to the Methodist Chapel,in Cemmaes Parish, Wales. John R Jones was a beneficiary of this Estate as was my Gt Gt Grandmother, Jane Jones, Maesgarthbeibio Farm, Garthbeibio Parish, Wales.

To any descendants of John R Jones, reading this, his grandfather, William Jones (1770-1837) was among the first eight individuals to be ordained by the Calvanist Methodists at Bala, North Wales, in 1811. Should any descendants wish to make contact, a warm welcome awaits you from your extended 'Family'.

Posted: 21 Mar 2013 10:58PM GMT
I believe this is them in 1940 residing at 1225 Main St Racine
John R Jones 70
William F Jones 31 son
Marilyn Jones 24 dau in law
Ethel M Groves 68

Posted: 21 Mar 2013 10:58PM GMT
I believe this is them in 1940 residing at 1225 Main St Racine
John R Jones 70
William F Jones 31 son
Marilyn Jones 24 dau in law
Ethel M Groves 68
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions