Search for content in message boards

Native American connection in NH or Mass

Native American connection in NH or Mass

Ruth Cheney (View posts)
Posted: 4 May 2004 3:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm trying to chase down a family story that there's Indian blood somewhere up our Cheney line. The line is -

Daniel Cheney and Hannah Duston
John Cheney and JoAnna Pike
Daniel Cheney and Elizabeth Davis
Moses Cheney and Sarah Sawyer
Edward Cheney and Sarah (Webster?) Dearborn
Nathaniel Cheney and Mary Elizabeth Hoit
Edward L. Cheney and Nancy Strout (2nd wife)

An older relative who knew those in Edward L.'s generation swears one of Edward's sisters had Indian features. The family came from Newbury/Newburyport, Mass to Kingston, NH in the first Edward's generation (he was b. 1788).

I'd be very grateful if anyone can confirm or dispel this family story.

Re: Native American connection in NH or Mass

Elden Cheney (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jul 2004 12:24AM GMT
Hi. this is Elden.I've been told of a native america blood.But I dont think it was our branch of the family. The connection was Mohawk Indian. They lived in Herkimer and Utica. AS Always Your nephew Elden Cheney

Posted: 14 Feb 2007 1:42AM GMT
Surnames: Cheney
Eldon, I can absolutely guarantee you that I'm not your aunt! That being said, our lines are not identical, which leaves me especially curious about whatever you have heard about a Mohawk connection to a Cheney line. It may well be exactly what I've been looking for.

Posted: 14 Feb 2007 3:57AM GMT
Hello, I"m sorry I mistook you for my aunt as I have an aunt with the same name. I read in one of the Cheney line history about a Cheney male marrying a mohawk indian women. But I can't remember which line it was.I'll try to remember and let you know. Thanks

Posted: 15 Mar 2008 11:19PM GMT
Hello Ruth and all Cheney researchers,
I have also heard that there is Native American blood in my line of Cheney's. My Great Great Great Grandfather was Cornelius Cheney, born in Chilson HIll, Ticonderoga, NY. He married Olive Burns...according to my Great grandmother (Cornelius' granddaughter) Olive was a full blooded Native American, however i can not find any documentation of this. If anyone knows anything please pass it on to me? Thanks

Posted: 12 May 2009 11:11PM GMT
Hello, my name is shayne hamilton, im from plaistow nh.
My grandmothers maiden name is cheney, and I am a decendent of hannah duston. I can put you in contact with my aunt who follows up very closely with the family name if interested.

Posted: 13 Aug 2011 9:40PM GMT
My father Robert Lee Cheney was born in Ticonderoga NY in 1929, son of Antwine and Laura Cheney. He had a brother, Antoine (Antwine?) and two sisters Lelia and Hilda. I believe his maternal grandmothers name was Susie Ropeter. I know he had an Uncle and Aunt, Jonas and Myrtle Ropeter who lived in Herkimer NY. Are we related? I appreciate any help that you can offer! Thanks!

Posted: 13 Aug 2011 10:29PM GMT
Hello, I live 20 miles East of Herkimer,Ny . My kids were in school with some Ropeter's . Also a Ropeter did live a mile from me for awhile.I can get their names from my oldest son and let you know if you want their names and maybe some contact information. Let me know. Elden Cheney

Posted: 13 Aug 2011 10:49PM GMT
Edited: 13 Aug 2011 10:51PM GMT
Thank you Elden, I appreciate your help. I do know that Jonas and Myrtle had a son, Don, but that is really all that I remember. I know we often visited there when I was a small child, but the memories are limited. Are you related to any of the Ticonderoga Cheneys? My dad was born there in 1929, his name was Robert.His fathers name was Antwine and his mothers name was Laura. (Jonas's sister) I appreciate your response and look forward to hearing back from you.

Posted: 13 Aug 2011 11:08PM GMT
The Cheney's I'm from did live near there at one time,but I'm not sure if I'm related. My great Grandfather was named Merton Cheney,my grandfather and mother were William Perry Cheney and Ruth Hubell Cheney. They had 11 kids Merton ,Perry,Merritt(my father),Harold,Dave Art,Ruth, Maryann ,Linda ,Sara ,and Trudy. They live in Northfield ,Vermont And New Haven,VT. Also Near Ticonderoga. I'll let you know more when I talk to my son tomarrow.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic