Search for content in message boards

How to branch a new tree from the old one

How to branch a new tree from the old one

Posted: 22 Feb 2010 1:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
IN one enormous tree, I completely filled out all info that I know, PLUS some, then decided that I should have started separate trees that had different surnames. Now they are all combined. Is there a way to 'import' or 'copy' this info into a new tree without manually doing the entire thing over??

Re: How to branch a new tree from the old one

Posted: 22 Feb 2010 2:53AM GMT
There is- but why bother?

IF any of the people would appear in more than one tree is is best to leave them all in one tree- otherwise, when yous start putting them in different trees you have duplicates, etc.

If they are all in one tree people can still find them using a search.

I find it *very* irritating to find the same person in multiple trees that have all been posted by the same person when doing a search.

I've never understood the logic. Maintain all your people and all your connections in one tree and simplify your life and the lives of all those searching for people in your tree.

Posted: 22 Feb 2010 3:53AM GMT
OK. I can see why that makes sense. Thank you!

Posted: 8 Mar 2010 7:58PM GMT
My reason would be that I want to give a many-times removed cousin his branch of the tree so that he and his family can do their work that would contain their relatives which wouldn't be in any way related to me and, therefore, not a part of my tree.

Regards -

Posted: 18 May 2010 4:49PM GMT
That is one reason keeping everything in one file is good- you can always split off a branch for someone else who needs it without trying to keep more than one tree.

What I was advising against was one person trying to maintain multiple trees on their separate lines.

Posted: 18 May 2010 11:54PM GMT
Gotcha. Thanks!

Posted: 18 Aug 2012 1:19PM GMT
You say that you can always split a branch off for someone who needs it. This is exactly what I need to do. My nephew (who is on my tree), wanted to research his father's side of the family (no relation to me, thus not on my tree). Over the weekend, we added some of his relatives, now I want to take his ancestors and make a separate tree just for him so that his other side of the family is not on my tree. I can 'view his tree' under my tree, but I can't find a way to copy or export just that tree. I'm sure it can be done, anyone know how??

Posted: 18 Aug 2012 3:35PM GMT
Just select File then Export. Then you can select Partial and select just the ancestors of the desired person.

Posted: 13 Sep 2012 11:00PM GMT
This is something I want to do also, but where is there a "File, Export" in an Ancestry (.com) Family Tree?

Posted: 13 Sep 2012 11:55PM GMT
File is the leftmost menu item (at the top of the window).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions