Search for content in message boards

Minor Plantation?

Minor Plantation?

Timothy Minor (View posts)
Posted: 25 Aug 2002 10:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Minor
Ive been told that there is a plantation in Louisiana that is named the Minor Plantation and that it is still there. Im also trying to find my ancestory from there and to the state of Oklahoma. My imediate family is in Claremor Oklahoma and Im trying to find any information of my ancestory and of the plantation(where it is and the history or website).

Thank You
Timothy Minor

Re: Minor Plantation?

Posted: 26 Aug 2002 6:25PM GMT
Edited: 15 Nov 2006 7:47PM GMT
Timothy: The Minor Plantation in Louisiana you asked about probably is Southdown Plantation in Houma, LA. It was owned by William John Minor and is now a museum operated by the Terrebone Historical Society. I have considerable data on ancestors and descendants of William John and will be glad to check my records for your family if you think he is your ancestor. Bill

Posted: 26 Aug 2002 6:30PM GMT
Edited: 15 Nov 2006 7:47PM GMT
timothy: If you will search the web for "Southdown Plantation" you will find a lot of material with information on the plantation. Bill

Posted: 13 Nov 2008 8:48AM GMT
Hello Bill,

I have no idea if my Minor ancestors could be related to William John Minor. The farthest back I can get is my paternal gg grandfather James Bernard "Cappy" Minor (Parents both unknown but born in France according to his death certificate)b Feb 1839, d 20 Jan 1920 Codington County South Dakota. Oral family history says he left Nova Scotia Canada at age 11 and sailed to the US on his own. In 2 US census he lists his birth place as Canada and in 2 other US census it is listed as Wisconsin. He was married to Phoebe Churches. His children were John J, William Jesse (my ggrandfather) and Julius Earl-all born in WI. If you might have information regarding this family please reply to my e-mail at rjelroy@aol.com. I am related to George Alfred de Sepsos Trenholm who was from Charleston, SC (during the Civil War-he is the live person Rhett Butler was fashioned after) so I thought the Minor's might have been related in the South also. Purportedly we are related to Gen Robt E Lee also through my gg Grandmother Ruth B. Lee b 24 Aug 1840 d 06 May 1911 but I have not been able to connect this thread.

Thank you
Rhonda (Minor) Vieth
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions