Search for content in message boards

African-American families with surname Scott

African-American families with surname Scott

Posted: 6 Jun 2003 9:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 May 2009 10:14PM GMT
Surnames: Scott
I am having a very, very challenging time tracing back my family history due to us having an extremely common last name. In an attempt to narrow the search down a bit, is there anyone out there that is African-American with a last name or maiden name of Scott? If so, I would love to correspond with you to share information. I have been doing this research for approximately 10 years now and have hit a very hard brick wall not being able to get beyond the mid-1800's. Anyone out there, please respond.

Re: African-American families with surname Scott

Posted: 6 Jun 2003 5:02PM GMT
Dear Rhonda,

I have a Sadie Scott b.1868 in Linn County Iowa. Her father was a former slave from Kentucky George W. Scott who had an alias George W. Phillips. George W. Scott was himself mullatto and listed that way on several census records. He married my ggggaunt, a white woman, Emily L. Allard in Iowa. Though Sadie was 1/4 African American she is listed on later census as white. She also married and white man and had a number of children who are all listed as white. I have records for George W. Scott if you are interested in these let me know.

Teresa

Rhonda Mosley (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jun 2003 1:05AM GMT
This is starting to sound closer than I have reached anyway. I do know that my gr-grandfather was a freed slave, but I don't know from where or how to find out. Apparently, nobody in our family kept track of this stuff back then and it is so hard to find. His name was James Scott. I believe that he was part of the freed slaves that traveled to Kansas with some sort of free slave movement. I don't recall what it was called, but I believe he was with that group.

I'll keep note of the names you have provided. Do you think that you can trace anyone in your tree to an African-American James Scott? If so, would you mind sharing this information? I have information to share as well, but this is during the mid-1800's and my information is spotty at best, but willing to share all the same.

Thanks.

Rhonda Mosley (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jun 2003 1:08AM GMT
Yes, I am interested in the records you have for George Scott. Was Scott his slave master's last name? You mention that he also goes by Philips. Have you found out why? Do you know where he originally came from? How old was he when he married Sadie? How did he meet her? Was he a free slave when he married?

Posted: 7 Jun 2003 3:30AM GMT
Rhonda,

George W. Scott aka known as George W. Phillips. From what records I have George used the name Phillips (His mother's family name) during the Civil War. His records show the name Scott with an alias Phillips. George's marriage record from Linn Co. IA lists his place of birth is Lexington, Kentucky and his parent's names as Benjamin Scott and Amanda Phillips. Any help?

Teresa

Posted: 7 Jun 2003 6:23AM GMT
Yes, but I have no idea. When was he born? Where is he buried? Maybe if I can match his birth date and/or year to the top of my line, I can start from there. Was he a free man or a slave? If a slave, do you know who his owner was and any information on him? If not, was he born a free man or was he freed? If freed, do you have any sibling information. Does he have a brother or child named James?

Posted: 11 Jun 2003 5:27AM GMT
Edited: 16 May 2004 6:24AM GMT
My maiden name is Scott. My Scotts are from Noxubee and Lowndes Counties in the state of Mississippi. My great-great grandfather name was Henry Scott who was married to a Lucinda (I don't know her maiden name). He had several children: Zack, John, Joseph (my great grandfather), Henry, Sallie, Henry and Jim. Do any of these names sound familiar?

Posted: 25 Jun 2003 11:15AM GMT
Edited: 20 May 2009 10:15PM GMT
I have a Henry Scott that is buried in the Cemetery at Parell Parkway - 9th Street. I do not know the city or state. He is believed to be my great-grandfather's brother. Do you know when your Henry was born, where buried? The names you mention sound familiar but I don't have the documentation to prove the link. Let's try to compare notes to see if we can get a match.

My maiden name is Scott also. Thanks for your response.

Posted: 26 Jun 2003 3:40AM GMT
Edited: 16 May 2004 6:24AM GMT
My Henry Scott was born about 1841 in South Carolina. His wife Lucinda was from Tennessee and I believe he died in Mississippi after 1920. In the 1920 census, he was living with his son, John Scot and his wife Bell. I really don't know any of my father's people. I have piece together what I know from doing the census. I know in 1880 that he was living in Noxubee County and in 1920 he was living in Clay County. I will share what I have.

Posted: 26 Jun 2003 9:29AM GMT
Surnames: Thomas, Edwards, King, Davis, Johnson, Farris, Dickson, Jackson, Hines, Brown, Taylor, Woodfall, Adams, Vanross, McPhan, Young, Mosley
I do not have a birth or death date of my Henry Scott. I am told that there are 2 or 3 different generations of Henry Scott in my family. I had actually completed the research on this a few years ago, however I didn't back up my data and my hard drive crashed, so I am now trying to revisit this old tree. I do remember I had my Henry Scott, brother of my great-grandfather James Scott. The Henry Scott I am researching married Anna Morris Frazier. I have absolutely no information on her other than her name. They had children, Ruth, Ada and Patsy Scott. Their first child, Ruth, was born in Fredonia, Kansas on December 14, 1896.

I'll be happy to share more. Let's see if we can get anything with this. Please feel free to contact me directly on my email. Click on the link above to send it to me if there is any info you don't care to post publicly, especially as it comes further down the trees towards the early to mid 1900s.

Thanks so much for your help. I can't help but believe that if we all get together here and do some searching that we will find a connection because I have been researching this line since 1995 and have not been able to get much further than where I am now. There is somebody out there that has a match and I am very determined to find it. There are way too many African American Scott families out there for us to not be able to make a link.

For anyone reading this, I do know that we have more than quite a few mixed marriages both from the men carrying the Scott name as well as the women keeping the Scott name and adding the married name. That seemed to be a trend in the early 1900s. For example, Corretta Scott King. I have a Lena Scott King in my line. She married John King, Sr. Lena was born and died in Neosho, MO. Somebody please dig into your trees and see if you can find anyone anywhere in your line that even remotely mentions Neosho, MO or any town nearby including Joplin on the MO side and many cities in Kansas.

All info shared is much appreciated. I have more. Basically, I am at the top of my tree as far as info is concerned. The top is James Scott, Sr. and his brother Henry Scott. I do not know their parents or if there are other siblings. I do have information on both tree branches if you would like to compare. It is very colorful and has interested surnames Henry Scott branch includes Jackson, Johnson, Frazier, Callahan, Green, Leake and Wallace. There are a lot of empty blanks. I don't have too much but I do have some info.

For the James Scott branch, surnames include: Thomas, Edwards (This name shows up in various generations throughout this branch.), King, Davis, Johnson, Farris (who is from Lebanon, MO), Dickson, Jackson, Hines, Brown, Edwards again, Taylor, Woodfall, Adams, Vanross, McPhan, Young, Mosley, Johnson again, and much more.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic