Search for content in message boards

1805 John Hunter of Mass.

1805 John Hunter of Mass.

Posted: 11 Apr 2012 7:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Feb 2013 10:12PM GMT
Surnames: Hunter
How can I find birth date & location for John Hunter who our family has a document where he was "appointed captain of a company in the Fift Regiment of the Second Brigade Eighth Division of Militia of this Commonwealth" by Gov Caleb Strong Mass, dated 15 Apr 1805 Also know was appointed Justice of the Peace for Somerset Co Mass 19 Feb 1810 by Gov Christopher Gore as signed by William Tudor, secretary commonwealth. John Hunter had a daughter Nancy Jane born 25 Jul 1809 in Bangor Maine. Do not know wife/mother.

Re: 1805 John Hunter of Mass.

Posted: 24 Apr 2012 1:58AM GMT
Karen, I have been researching my family in Maine. Are you related to a Hunter?
Charlotte

Posted: 24 Apr 2012 5:06PM GMT
Yes, I have D.A.R. records documenting my great great grandparents were Diah Pratt(B 12 Mar 1808 Kennebec Maine) and Nancy Hunter(B 25 Jul Bangor, Maine) who were married in Hallowell Kennebec Maine on Jan 1 1833(per DAR and substantiated by her 1850 and 1870 census responses in IN). The 1850 census indicates she was living in IN with her husband and her sisters Mary and Ann Hunter. The old Pratt family history notes "He married Nancy Hunter of Bangor Maine...Nancy Hunter, daughter of John Hunter, was with her husband at the time of his death..." And there is family document re John Hunter being in Mass military in 1805 and being appointed Justice of Peace in Somerset MAss in Feb 1810, even though his daughter Nancy was born in Maine in Jul 1809 and sister Ann there in 1811. Perhaps John Hunter had a summer home in Maine? as well as one in Mass??
I would appreciate any help tracing this part of the Hunter line and in particular who Nancy Hunters parents were. THANK YOU, Karen

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 7:51PM GMT
Surnames: Hunter Pratt Hanley
I have quite a bit of information about your John Hunter, father of Nancy Jane Hunter. John was born in what is now Maine, 13 Nov 1770, married Elizabeth Hanley, and had 9 known children, including the Nancy who married Diah Pratt. He always lived the the area we call Maine today - his only connection to Massachusetts was that Maine was part of Massachusetts until 1820. I'd be glad to share this with you if you email me. Am also interested in your line from Diah Pratt.

chuckieblaney@alumnae.mtholyoke.edu

Posted: 4 Mar 2013 3:31AM GMT
Surnames: Hunter
Hi, I am interested in John Hunter. His Son is my ggggrandfather Philip born June 4, 1800 and he had a sister named Nancy born in 1809. I have Elizabeth as John's wife. I would appreicate any information you may have on John Hunter or the Hunter family.

Charlotte Heisler
lottie.heisler@gmail.com

Posted: 16 Mar 2013 6:02AM GMT
Edited: 16 Mar 2013 7:34AM GMT
I too and trying to narrow down information on John Hunter. There are several points that time John to George. I have found references to Captain George Hunter and similar references to John G Hunter. Eliza Jane is my Great Grandmother and I have posted a picture of her on my tree. Eliza Jane was a daughter of "John" Hunter. I found George Hunter and the Sisk familys all on the same census and correct dates. It is worth digging deeper into the name.

I am open to sharing whatever we find to determine the lineage.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions