Search for content in message boards

family of David Lockwood Clark and Patience Pomeroy

family of David Lockwood Clark and Patience Pomeroy

Posted: 10 Feb 2006 8:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: POMEROY CLARK SILLS MORTON SWETMAN SCHRYVER
I am looking for information about 2 sons of David Lockwood Clark (1816-1868) and Patience Pomeroy(1827-1909). David was the son of Samuel Clark (1794-1866) and Abigail Lockwood of Camden. Is there anyone researching this line?

Patience relocated to Tweed, Hastings after her husband David died. According to Patience's obituaryfrom 1909, her sons John and Samuel survived her. The last data I have for John (b Jul 1850) was the 1861 census and the last information I have for Samuel (b abt 1855) was the 1871 census. I am stumped as to where they went. Can anyone help me?

The other children married into the MORTON, SILLS, SWETMAN and SCHRYVER families.

Re: family of David Lockwood Clark and Patience Pomeroy

Diane Shaw (View posts)
Posted: 15 Feb 2006 10:53PM GMT
1901 census Hungerford, Hastings, Ontario

CLARK,
Patience, head, widow, Dec 28 1828, 72
Sweetman, Patience, dau, widow, Aug 11 1863, 37
Sweetman, Elizabeth C, dau, Apr 15 1898, 3

1881 census, Hungerford, Hastings East, Ontario
CLARK
Patience, 51, b Ontario, Milliner, Methodist
Hannah, 19, b Ont, milliner

No Patience Sweetman/Clark on 1881 Canada or US census.

On the 1901 census there are 2 Samuel Clarks in Middlesex and one Samuel Clarke in Cobourg. All born 1854-1857.
There are several John Clarks (no John Clarke) on the census 1850 +- 2 yrs. None in Hastings.
1901/1911 census on www.automatedgenealogy.com

THe only marriage I could find on the Ontario marriage site on line was for a Rachel Clark married Shriver, mother Patience Clark, no father named.

Posted: 16 Feb 2006 12:11AM GMT
Edited: 1 Nov 2006 1:48AM GMT
Surnames: Clark, Swetman, Morton, Pomeroy, Sills, Schryver
Diane and Joanna~

I have eight children for David Lockwood Clark and Patience Pomeroy- were there others?

The 3 that I have NO info for are John born July 1850, Samuel born 1853 and Hannah (Susannah?) born 1860.

Elizabeth Jane Clark born March 14, 1849 married Simeon Wilson Sills.

Rachel Abigail Clark born July 19, 1852 married William Schryver.

Peter Perry Clark born March 12, 1856 married Mary E. Morton.

George Luther Clark born July 1 1858 married Francis M. not sure last name and I have not worked on this family in ages to find it.

Patience Euphrasia Clark born August 11, 1863 married Henry Swetman or Sweetman.

Here is an extract of some of my notes which shows where some of these Clark kids were in 1881:

1901 census Canada @ Belleville in Hastings County West, Ont.-

9 242 Schryver W. William M Head M Feb 18 1845 56
10 242 Schryver A. Rachel F Wife M Jul 19 1852 48
11 242 Swetman Lillian F Niece S Dec 20 1893 7
12 242 Swetman J.N. Rachel F Niece S Aug 10 1895 5

Did William and Rachel not have children of their own?

Here is Rachel with siblings George Luther and Patience Euphrasia in 1881 and note that Patience (Euphrasia) was mistakenly recorded as being "Male":

Household:

Name Marital Status Gender Ethnic Origin Age Birthplace Occupation Religion

WILLIAM SCRYVER M Male German 35 Ontario Blacksmith C. Methodist
RACHEL SCRYVER M Female Scottish 29 Ontario C. Methodist
LUTHER CLARK Male Scottish 22 Ontario C. Methodist
EUPHR...IER CLARK Male Scottish 16 Ontario C. Methodist

Source Information:
Census Place Huntingdon, Hastings North, Ontario
Family History Library Film 1375874
NA Film Number C-13238
District 122
Sub-district A
Division 1
Page Number 56
Household Number 268

Will take a look for more info when I can, and post here.

Nora

Joanna Waugh (View posts)
Posted: 16 Feb 2006 1:03AM GMT
Thank you Diane and Nora. Clark is such a common name I am finding it hard to sort through all the John and Samuel Clarks.

I have all the census from 1851 -1911, marriage records, names of children, and deaths for the 5 of the 8 children . I am missing John, Samuel and Hannah. I believe Hannah died between 1881 and 1891 but I saw no death registration and the Tweed cemetery does not have good records.

TWEED NEWS
"The Late Mrs. D.L. Clark
She Died at Her Home in Tweed
On July 28th, the spirit of one of the oldest members of this community took its flight, from the land of sunlight & shadow to the realms of endless day, in the person of Patience Pomeroy, relict of the late David L. Clark. Deceased was born at Newburgh Dec 26th, 1827. She was the daughter of the late John Pomeroy. In Dec 1847 she married Daivd L. Clark. Unto them were born eight children, of whom six survive, John, Samuel, Luther and Peter, Mrs. W.W. Schryver, Belleville, and Mrs. Swetman, of this village. Peter P. Clark is a prominent business man of St.Ola. One brother, Rev. J.C. Pomeroy, Kincardine, & one sister Mrs. Sturm, of this place are also living.
The deceased came to this section about 50 years ago & with her own family & those of her father's household were among the earlier pioneers of this section. She was a consistent member of the Methodist church. Three of her brothers were members of the Methodist ministry.
On Thursday afternoon the funeral services were conducted at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Swetman, and the remains were interred to Victoria cemetery."

I have exhausted all the resources available for this family that the Tweed Heritage centre has.

I have tried to go through the 1871 & 1881 census and find corresponding registrations for the John and Samuel found there to see who the parents were, but no luck. Any suggestions what I could do next????
Joanna

Diane (View posts)
Posted: 16 Feb 2006 2:14AM GMT
Surnames: Clark, Peters
I also have a John Clark born May 10, 1870 whom I cannot find parents of. I got his birth date from the 1901 census (below).
If anyone has any info on this family I would be truly grateful.
Diane

7 6 59 Clark John M Head M May 10 1870 30
7 7 59 Clark Emma F Wife M Feb 5 1878 22
7 8 59 Clark Myrtle F Daughter S Jan 21 1901 2 months
Source Information: 1901 Census of Canada
Subdistrict: Cardiff, PETERBOROUGH (East/Est), ONTARIO
District Number: 106
Subdistrict Number: f-1
Archives Microfilm: T-6491

John Clark of Cardiff

Posted: 16 Feb 2006 3:40PM GMT
This JOhn Clark of Cardiff is the son of RObert Clark and Jane Stephenson of Belmont.. He died Nov 10, 1929 in an accidental shooting. The parents are named in the reg. The informant on the death reg was Thomas Covert , husband of Annie Lewis, daughter of George and Evelina Lewis of Cardiff. There are birth reg for children of John and Emma which give her maiden name of Lewis.
I don't see a marriage reg for John and Emma/emily online yet. They moved into Herschel for 1911. If you don't have this death reg I will send it unless you think this is the wrong one?
Joanna

Re: John Clark of Cardiff

Posted: 16 Feb 2006 5:09PM GMT
Edited: 1 Nov 2006 1:48AM GMT
Surnames: Clark, Lewis
How confusing....I looked for same John and Emma in 1911- 1901 census has Cardiff as part of Peterborough County East, but at one time, was Cardiff a part of Haliburton County? Maybe there were boundary changes?

The John and Emma nee Lewis are in Hastings West in 1911 as you say Joanna, but with six children, 2 of whom were older than their daughter Myrtle, and the birthdate for that Myrtle is June 23, 1905 not Jan. 1901. ???

If same parents, wonder why such a huge discrepancy in dob for Myrtle?

Nora

Joanna Waugh (View posts)
Posted: 16 Feb 2006 7:33PM GMT
That is strange. I think though without a doubt that it is the same family. I can't get the 2nd page of the birth reg. for Mina Jane b Jan 8 1901 up on Ancestry for some reason to see who the informant was. Maybe there a was a disagreement between John and Emma as to what the name should be - John wanted to name her after his mother and it was Emma who talked to the census enumerator? SHe was only 2 months old. Maybe not baptised and Emma got her wishes with the next girl?
Joanna

Diane (View posts)
Posted: 16 Feb 2006 7:53PM GMT
Surnames: Clark Lewis
I have the birth record of Nina Jane Clark.

Births at Cardiff Official record # 016648
Clark Nina Jane sex F. date 8th January 1901 father Clark John mother Lewis Emma residence Lot 32 Con 23 Cardiff Farmer Signature of Registrar John Clark when registered 9 Feb. 1901
I am trying to find info on the John Clark family. Sorry just saw your query. I would be happy to exchange info on the info I have.
Diane Brown

Rae Bezborotko (View posts)
Posted: 8 Aug 2006 7:34PM GMT
I am related to John Clark through his brother James. I have info on the Robert Clark family and am willing to exchange genealogy.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions