Search for content in message boards

Putman, Kinnan, Martin

Putman, Kinnan, Martin

Posted: 11 Nov 2009 5:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Putman, Kinnan, Martin
I've been working on my Putman -- Kinnan line with possibly some good results.

Victor Pottman, or Putman, the father of Peter Pottman, or Putman, married Margaret Wies. [I wonder it she might not have been a Kwik and sister to Thomas Quick].

About 1760, David Putman it appears moved from the Upper Mount Bethel, PA, area to near Hackettstown, Warren Co., NJ, which is across the Musconectcong River from Schooley's Mountain, Morris Co., NJ. It was near Hackettstown, it seems, that David Putman became indebted to Mathias Barber, who died about 1764 in "Old" Hardwick, NJ, which included Hackettstown, NJ.

Also, Mathias Barber and James Martin were surities for a liquor license about this time [1764].

Across the river from Hackettstown at Schooley's Mountain lived John Kinnan who later had a son named Jonathan Kinnan who married Anne Salmon. The Kinnan's married into the Caskey family.

Just south of Hackettstown lived James Martin near Beattystown, NJ. It appears his descendants also married into the Caskey family. James Martin's son Stewart Martin owned a tavern at Beattystown during the Revolutionary War.

It seems that in this time frame, 1764, that the Putman's, Kinnan's, and possibly even Martin's met. John Kinnan seems to have removed to Wantage, NJ, where Victor Putman's son Peter married a daughter of John Kinnan [and Mary Sutton] named Sarah Kinnan.

So, Sarah Kinnan Putman's linage would be John Kinnan and Mary Sutton of Schooley's Mountain, Morris Co., NJ, and then Thomas Kinnan and Mary Bedell of Long Hill, Morris Co., NJ.

Peter and Sarah Kinnan Putman's son John Putman married Sarah Martin, reportedly. I am trying to determine if Sarah Marin might be related to James Martin of Beattystown, NJ.

James Martin may have married Anne Drummund. John Kinnan's brother Joseph Kinnan it seems married a Ruth Drummond.

I find it interesting that a James Martin and Christopher Vought were witnesses in the Will of Peter Clover about 1755 in Lebanon, NJ. Christopher Vought was a brother-in-law of Victor Putman. Christopher married Cornelia Putman, Portman, the daugher of David Pottman, Potman, or Putman.

Mark R. Putnam

Re: Putman, Kinnan, Martin

Posted: 11 Nov 2009 5:32AM GMT
I made a mistake:

The following is correct:

About 1760, VICTOR Putman it appears moved from the Upper Mount Bethel, PA, area to near Hackettstown, Warren Co., NJ, which is across the Musconectcong River from Schooley's Mountain, Morris Co., NJ. It was near Hackettstown, it seems, that VICTOR Putman became indebted to Mathias Barber, who died about 1764 in "Old" Hardwick, NJ, which included Hackettstown, NJ.

Posted: 11 Nov 2009 4:02PM GMT
I found your posting interesting since I am married to a Putman and my mother was a Vaught....not the same line as your people, as we are the Arkansas Putman's and Vaught's but it caught my eye. Thanks to all of you who do such detailed work. Very interesting.

Posted: 11 Nov 2009 7:16PM GMT
Do you have your wife's line back? I can probably help if they have been in Arkansas a while. Need to go back to 1930.

Posted: 12 Nov 2009 1:49AM GMT
I'm actually hunting down my husbands people. I have current to his great grandparents, Joseph Henry Putman m Missouri Eden, she was the daughter of Austin Eden and Martha Jane Hunt. The had several children. I've seen Joseph with a couple named Lackey, but I don't know the connection. I think they were from the Scott County Arkansas area. I've been looking at this on & off for a couple of years but I run in to lots of dead ends it seems. Thanks for replying.

Posted: 12 Nov 2009 2:23AM GMT
Surnames: Putman, Eden
Bill Putman who responded above has this at his website:

I assume this is the Joseph Henry Putman for who you are looking:

JOSEPH H. PUTMAN Rover, Yell County

He is still around and now married. He is now 30, Missouri Edens, his wife is 29 AR, Frank Montgomery 8 (born August 22, 1891) and John Vilette born November 9, 1899. He married Missouri Edens September 14, 1890.

BILL does a great job of record keeping.

Mark

Posted: 12 Nov 2009 2:34AM GMT
Surnames: Putman, Eden
To follow up, look at what Bill Putman has at his site for 1880:

http://billputman.com/Arkansas%20Census%201830-1930.htm

The best thing to do here is to have your husband take a Y-DNA test to determine what is his lineage.

Mark.

Posted: 12 Nov 2009 11:14AM GMT
This is my comment on the 1880 Arkansas Census:

JOSEPH PUTMAN Lower LaFave, Yell County
Joseph Henry Putman is 11 AR AR AR and listed as a son of John and Sarah (Braton) Lackey of Lower Lefarve Township. I have no idea to whom he is related, but I think it is to William J. Putman, son of Daniel Thomas Putman. A relative states that Joseph was illegitimate and while his father was a Putman, his mother was a Brown. Now to further confuse you. I have spoken with a Peggy Lackey in Arkansas, and she says her husband is a stepson of Emma Putman (a daughter of Daniel Thomas Putman) who married John Gallagher in Washington County in 1877. Must be a connection here. See 1900 for his family.

Here is what I have on my Arkansas Page for the Yell County families:

Then in 1880 we find Joseph and William Putman. Joseph is 11 AR AR AR and living as an adopted child of John and Sarah (Braton) Lackey of Lower Lefarve township. William is 10 AR TN AR and living with his aunt and uncle, William and Rebecca 'Susie' Ray in Waveland. William is most probably a son of William J. Putman and Malinda Harrison and born right here. I listed him and his family earlier under William James Putman (Sr.), a son of William Putman and Alla Bridges of Washington County, Arkansas. They might or might not be brothers and connected to William James Putman of Washington County. I do not know the exact connection, but they are only young teenagers, obviously orphaned and living with relatives. In 1900 they are both still in the county and married.

I have run across a descendant of Joseph H. Putman, but while she can bring me forward, cannot help in the other direction. Based on census reports and the info from her, I can kinda piece out the line of Joseph Putman. Here is also a photo of Joseph, Missouri and some kids. Based on the ages in the census reports, this photo was taken in 1909 or 1910.

Go to my website www.BillPutman.com There is a photo of them and more info on the kids.

It's http://www.billputman.com/ARother.pdf

Anything you can add will be appreciated.

Posted: 12 Nov 2009 1:58PM GMT
Hi Mark, thanks for the 'pat on the back'

Posted: 13 Nov 2009 4:22AM GMT
Thanks for the info, I will be looking at your site.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions