Search for content in message boards

Emmett Putnam, PA and NY

Emmett Putnam, PA and NY

Posted: 2 Jun 2004 2:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for Emmett, brother of Ned. Son of George Putnam and Rebecca Rider. Ned is my husband grandfather. Emmett was living in NY with his uncle in Chautauqua, NY in the 1880 census.

Re: Emmett Putnam, PA and NY

Posted: 2 Jun 2004 11:18AM GMT
Edited: 15 Jan 2005 12:27PM GMT
Emmett was in Chemung County, NY in 1900:

EMMET PUTMAN Elmira, Chemung County
He is 45 NY MAR 1855 and is enumerated with Albert Krug as a roomer. Actually he was born in McKean County, Pennsylvania. He is a son of George and Rebecca Rider from there. His dad died in the 1860s and he eventually moved back to Jamestown, Chautauqua County and lived with his uncle Jackson Putnam. Both his dad George and Jackson were sons of George Putnam (1182) of Vermont and then Essex County, NY.

Ned was also listed in McKean County PA in 1880:

N. B. PUTNAN Otto, McKean County
He is 22 PA NY ME and a laborer who is boarding. He should be Ned Putnam, son of George and Rebecca Rider. They were here in 1860, and next door in Warren County in 1870. He was home in both cases.

I don't find Ned in 1900. Any idea where he was? Also don't find either guy after 1900.

Posted: 2 Jun 2004 1:16PM GMT
Edited: 2 Aug 2005 3:04PM GMT
Would you believe I am wearing an engagement ring with a diamond won in a gambling match by Ned, my husband's grandfather.
This is what I have on him.
Retail liquor business, which later means he owned a saloon. Put's Bar. In his younger days he was a lumberjack, always a gambler. In the 1860"s and 70"s he was a cab driver. At first cabs were powered by horses and then autos. He learned to drive a car in his seventies. He married Frances Callie Frost (born in VA- Jan 24, 1881)in Minneapolis. Actually born April 7,1859 and died Feburary 1 1938. They are both buried in St. Mary's cemetery in Minneapolis, Minnesota. They had two child. The boy died as an infant and the daughter is Harriet Putnam ( Sept. 14, 1904, died Branford, Ct. 1990) who married Frederick Hartgen (October 14, 1899, PA- died April 1966 in New Haven, Ct). Both are buried in Branford, Ct.

I have all the children of George and Rebecca Rider and some pictures. What happen to Tom? On the 1860 census there is a Fred that is two months and the 1870 census is a Tom that is 10.

George died in a sawmill accident when he lost his arm. How so I get to the linage that you have by numbers?

Thanks for the information....so quick

Judy

Posted: 2 Jun 2004 1:57PM GMT
Thanks, I had him in the MN 1900 and 1920, just forgot. Also thanks for both Rebecca and Callie's last names. Didn't have those. I fixed up all the PA and MN census stuff on my website and reposted.

The numbers I use are from Eben Putnam's 1908 book. Has the line. You can get a copy from

www.higginsonbooks.com

My website is www.BillPutman.com

Any clues on Emmett after 1900?

Bill

Posted: 2 Jun 2004 8:14PM GMT
Edited: 2 Aug 2005 3:04PM GMT
No information on Emmett but I am hoping that a relative has something on Tom
I have on my file an Abigal Putnam, aunt of Ned. Ned full name is Edward Bishop Putnam. Family oral history says that he was always hoping to inherit money because he had the Bishop name. Abigal married Edward Livington Bishop.

So are Jackson, George and Abigal children of George? I have the name of a wife for George but there is so much bum information out there that I tend not to repeat it.

I am learning to put the verification on information in the scrapbook part of my program.

Judy

Posted: 2 Jun 2004 9:07PM GMT
Abigail and Jackson and George are all kids of George Putnam and Salina Thayer. Here they are in New York in 1850.

SALINA PUTNAM Jay, Essex County
Indexed as Salim Putnam. She is Salina Thayer, widow of George Putnam (1182, a son of John Putnam (467) and Catherine Case of Montpelier, Vermont). She is 44 VT, Salina her daughter 24 VT, Sarah Frances 18 VT, Abby 16 VT, Jackson 13 VT, and Prentis 11 VT. The other son George is off in Pennsylvania now.

Your George is George Junior.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions