Search for content in message boards

City Police Constable Records

City Police Constable Records

Posted: 11 Jul 2005 9:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ship, West
Would someone please tell me where I could look up info for a city police constable for London. I found my ggrandfather David Ship age 44, born: Brundish,Suffolk. Occupation: City Police Officer. Dwelling 3 Queen St Place London ,Middlesex, London on the 1881 census. I would like to see if there are records kept and if I could find out anymore information about him. Any help would be appreciated.
Regards, Fiona

Re: City Police Constable Records

Joan (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jul 2005 8:18AM GMT
Hello, Fiona,

As your grandpa.was stated to be a City Police Officer, I take it that he was a member of the City of London Police & not of the Metropolitan Police.

The City of London Police Records are to be found at the Corporation of London Record Office, PO Box 270, Guildhall, London EC2P 2EJ. This is not the Guildhall Library but just round the corner from them by Basinghall St.at the rear of the Guildhall itself.

Not many of the Metro Police records have survived.

Hope this helps,

Joan

Linda Roche (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jul 2005 11:35PM GMT
Hi Fiona
Saw your message I sent off for my G Grandfathers Police records in April of this year he was in the City of London Police in 1881 based at Seething lane.
You need to get in touch with London Metropolitan Archives 40 Northampton Road London EC1 OHB as corps being refurbished at the moment.Check on Met archives Website as well.
I was in touch with Bridget Howlett Senior Archivist.
She was very helpful its quite expensive but well worth it . gives description of them and lots of other info

Hope this helps

Fiona (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 2005 6:54PM GMT
Edited: 30 Nov 2008 6:57AM GMT
Thankyou Joan, I will write them,
regards, Fiona

Fiona (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 2005 6:57PM GMT
Edited: 30 Nov 2008 6:58AM GMT
Linda, thankyou for the information, I will write them to see what I can find out,
regards, Fiona
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions