Search for content in message boards

A Promise from Ancestry.com

A Promise from Ancestry.com

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 1:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
From the LegalGenealogist blog for today, 1/13/12:

Kenneth Freestone, Product Manager for AncestryDNA, . . . shared some other thoughts about the future, and they can all be fairly summed up as a promise to listen to customer concerns … and then to deliver better, more meaningful results:

• “You suggest that a filter for “has a note” would be welcomed. This is on our list.”

• “Raw data is still on track for early 2013. We’re actively working on it and are excited to add this.”

And a big new one:

• “You mention several other features you’d love to see (search matches for surnames and segment comparison). We absolutely recognize the value in these and they are high on our to-do list for 2013.”

Hope this really happens!

Jim

Re: A Promise from Ancestry.com

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 11:01AM GMT
Thanks for posting this, Jim.

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 1:32PM GMT
Edited: 14 Jan 2013 1:34PM GMT
I'll keep my fingers crossed but I won't hold my breath.

I hope the "Has a Note" filter isn't going to cause Ancestry to expend too much energy. I don't know about everyone else but the first thing I do when I open a match is add a note with the number of people in the tree and any surnames that we share. Scanning the notes in the list view is the closest we have to a search method right now so none of the matches get closed without something noted.

The above written from an Autosomal point of view.

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 7:08PM GMT
Edited: 14 Jan 2013 7:10PM GMT
Same here. I do not need a sort-by "has a note" tool for the same reason. I realized the other day that if I open a page of matches (let's say, the first page of "starred" ones) then "select all", "copy", and "paste special" as "unformatted text" into a Word document, all the notes on that page appear in the document. Very handy.

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 7:41PM GMT
Thanks Jim.

From the changes I have already seen, Ancestry DNA is genuinely still in Beta. From what I have heard of the customer interfaces of both 23andMe and FTDNA, I really think Ancestry is trying hard to provide a quality product. And for that I am very grateful.

If they provide a surname search tool - especially if it includes the locked trees!!!! - and the raw data, I will be a very happy camper.

MJ

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 1:55PM GMT
Thank you for that hint. I tried it on my Mac by choosing "select all" and copying the page into the Pages application. There is no "unformatted text" option, but by pasting it as "paste & match style," a link appears with the Ancestry.com cousin's name and another to "Review Match." Very helpful.
Kathy Cronin

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 2:44PM GMT
Edited: 15 Jan 2013 2:53PM GMT
Kathy, did you do this with a whole page of matches or just a single match? I did not get the embedded hyperlinks showing up but will try different options.
EDIT: Oh my! I tried the same thing as I did before, but this time did not "paste special" (just "pasted"). It worked! This is great. If we do it the first way, we get all the notes (and more) for 50 matches into a document in a few seconds. If we do it the other way, we get all the hyperlinks to 50 matches into a document in a few seconds!

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 8:39PM GMT
I'm not getting the notes. It shows me when there is a hint but no notes.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 9:43PM GMT
Edited: 15 Jan 2013 9:56PM GMT
I don't know what the equivalent of selecting "paste special" and then selecting "unformatted text" on a Mac is, but there has to be one. You might try pasting into a text editor (is that what they're called?) such as WordPad. In any case, I don't know what I did differently from the first time I tried it, but I just copied my first four pages of starred matches and pasted them into a Word document (just using "paste"). All the notes AND all the hyperlinks are there. (Actually all the notes appear TWICE) :) I wonder if Ancestry is getting ready to give us the ability to download our data to a file. It seems to be moving that way.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 11:12PM GMT
I tried it out and did get the full text of my notes/comments and certain information on the match (name, 95% confidence kind of stuff). Didn't see any hyperlinks, but might be blocked by my software.

The problem is it copies everything on page and so there are lots of formating problems. I suspect, however, you are correct that they are working towards giving us something that will down load with the comments and match information. Normally, you would not get the full text of the comments/notes revealed like this when you haven't expanded the comments/notes.

In the meantime, I suspect someone might be able to play around with it to deal with webpage formating problems and the picking up of extraneous stuff off the webpage. But as we have seen, ancestry.com has steadily made this better and better for searches so might be worth waiting a bit to see how this translates into something that will allow us to easily save this information.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions