Search for content in message boards

Floyd Landis & Tour de France?

Floyd Landis & Tour de France?

Posted: 23 Jul 2006 12:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Landes/Landis>Thomas>Porter>Richey>Messer>Griggs>Whaley
Floyd Landis is poised to win the Tour de France today (7/23/06)! Does anyone know which branch of the Lancaster, PA Landis tree he comes
from?

Re: Floyd Landis & Tour de France?

Posted: 10 Aug 2006 2:54AM GMT
Surnames: Landis, Landes
I live a short distance from Floyd's parents and I was able to get the information on his immediate generation of Landis ancestors from them. First of all, Floyd's father, Paul Kulp Landis, was born and raised in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania and so Floyd's close Landis cousins are from that area of Pennsylvania. He is not closely related to any of the ancestral lines that came to Lancaster County, Pennsylvania in the year 1717. I have a Lancaster County Landis line and I figure that I am 9th cousins once removed from Floyd Landis, the Tour de France participant. A similar relationship would be true for most Landis line descendants in Lancaster County. The following chart contains Floyd's ancestral line.

(1st known Generation) Johannes (Hans) Landis, married to Katharina Schinz. Lived in Hirzel, Switzerland
(2nd known Generation) Rudolf Landis, married Anna Bruppacher. Lived in Hirzel, Switzerland.
(3rd Known Generation) Oswald Landis, married Margareth Schneebeli, Anna Schäppi, Catharina Bruppacher. Lived at Moosacher, Hirzel, Switzerland
(4th Known Generation) Hans Heinrich Landis, married Magdalena Bollier. Lived at Moosacher, Hirzel, Switzerland. Died in Rohrbach, Germany.
(5th Known Generation) Hans Heinrich Landis, born in Hirzel, Switzerland, died near Rohrsbach, Germany.
(6th Known Generation) Hans Rudolph Landis. Name of wife unknown. Born at Moosacher, Hirzel, Switzerland, died in Steinfurt, Germany.
(7th Known Generation) Jacob Landis (Immigrant to Montgomery County, Pennsylvania around 1726). He was born in Rohrbach, near Sinsheim, Germany and died in Franconia Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania.
(8th Known Generation) Jacob Landis, born in Steinfurt, Germany and died in Franconia Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. He married Mary Cassel.
(9th Known Generation) Isaac Cassel Landis, b. 1753 in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, died in Franconia Township, Montgomery Couinty, Pennsylvania.
(10th Known Generation) Henry Landis, b. Franconia Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, d. Franconia Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. Wife was Catherine Oberholtzer.
(11th Known Generation) Henry Kolb Landis, born in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, died in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania.
(12th Known Generation) Benjamin Young Landes, b. Montgomery County, Pennsylvania., died in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. Married Sarah Musselman Nace
(13th Known Generation) Wilmer Nace Landis, b. Upper Salford Twp., Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, died in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania.. Married Katie Souder Moyer.
(14th Known Generation) Raymond Moyer Landis, b. Franconia Twp, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania., d. Franconia Twp., Montgomery County, Pennsylvanai. Married Katie Blank Kulp.
(15th Known Generation) Paul Kulp Landis, born in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. Married Arlene Sensenig who was born and raised in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. The family lives in Farmersville, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.
(16th Known Generation) Floyd Andrew Landis, born in Farmersville, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Currently living in San Diego, California. Married. Tour de France champion.

Note: The closest common ancestor for the Lancaster County and Montgomery County lines goes back to the (5th Known Generation Ancestor) Hans Heinrich Landis who was born in Hirzel, Switzerland and died in Rohrbach, Germany.

carolyn Whaley Vosburg (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 2006 3:22AM GMT
Surnames: Whaley/Higgerson/Carter/Haynie/Lander/Nichols/Fitchen/Landes/Griggs
WOW! You were certainly able to find out a lot about Floyd and his ancestors in a short period of time. I'm impressed! : ) Wish I could
document my Landes/Landis line as quickly. My earliest ancestor was Henry Landis or Landes, a native of Germany, being born and reared in the province of Baden, near the city of Strasburg. He came to PA in about 1770 and later removed to Rockingham Co, VA. According to family history, he married 4 times and had 23 children! I'm descended from his son, Frederick, and wife Mary Thomas.

James Loges (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 2006 3:49PM GMT
Here are some more ancestors:
Johannes "Hans" Landis was born 1520 in Hirzel,Switzerland to: Hans Landos, b 1480 in Horgen, Zurich Canton, Switzerland, wife's name unknown;
Hans Landos was born to:
Landis, b1455, Zug Switzerland; wife unknown.

My wife --Joan Carole Landis b 1935, Rockford, IL-- is an 11th great grandaughter of Johannes (Hans) Landis and Katharine Schinz. She is not quite as excited about
Floyd Landis as she was a few weeks ago.

Posted: 27 Jun 2009 2:55PM GMT
My great great great grandfather was Felix Landes who married Lethia (Leathe) Armstrong. They lived in Butler County, Iowa after 1850's, but were in Carroll County, Indiana before that. Leathia Armstrong was from Knoxville, Tennessee. I think he may be descended from Frederick Landes and Mary Thomas. Do you know who would have that history or do you? There is some conflicting information. I have sought this for years.

Posted: 28 Jun 2009 3:01AM GMT
Surnames: Landes, Landis, Landiss
You might contact Jan Hall

Halltall@aol.com

She has Frederick's and Mary Thomas's line, although she has Fred's son Felix married to Eleanor Quinn. Fred was my G4 Grandfather.

Ernie Landes
Phoenix, AZ

Posted: 28 Jun 2009 12:27PM GMT
I have e-mailed an inquiry to the person you suggested. Is there anyone else who may have some info. on the following?

My Great Great Great grandfather was Felix Landes in Butler County Iowa and his wife was Lethia (Leathe) Armstrong (birth 1816 from Knoxville, Tennessee). They came from Carroll County, Indiana in the 1850's to Iowa. Felix was reportedly born in 1808 in Ohio. Felix and Lethia had 5 children - John A. (Birth 1837); Joseph M. (birth 1838); Emaline (Cirene or Serene) born 1840 MY LINE - she married Leonard Lockwood; Rudolph Landes (birth 1843) and Martha Landes (Birth 1851). All children were born in Carroll, Indiana.

The Felix Landes in Carroll, Indiana is listed as married to Eleanor Quinn. Were there two Felix Landes in Carroll, Indiana at that time. My Felix belonged to the Dunkard Church. One record says that my Felix Landes was the son of Frederick Landes and Mary Thomas, but I am wondering if that is wrong. Another possibility is the Nancy Plum/Rudolph Landes.

Do you know any history of the ancestors of Felix Landes who married Lethia Armstrong? I have been looking for years. I would appreciate any info. or leads that you have. Lethia Armstrong was part of the Robert Armstrong line and is listed in the Notable Southern Families book.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions