Search for content in message boards

Abraham (Abe) Martin of Amherst Co.,Va.

Abraham (Abe) Martin of Amherst Co.,Va.

Kathy MAYS Phillips (View posts)
Posted: 22 Nov 1999 8:02PM GMT
Looking for any info Martins of this line.he was born 1840;married a Labura/Lucinda b.1851 .one known son Bluford Lovin Martin b.1869,d.10/24/1947.Please e-mail at kmp2@lynchburg.net Thanks

Abram (bluford) Martin

Rebecca Tomlin Eubank (View posts)
Posted: 5 Nov 2000 7:44PM GMT
Kathy, His other children's names are Calvin,Marshall, Lindsey,Powhantan, Lucin,Ester, Lottie, lou,Temp Sadie.The info. that i have say's that Abram was born 1840, and he and his wife are buried at a place called wallerin or wallowin hole.on the mountain above franklin creek in Amherst,va near panther mountain. By the way I am trying to research my tomlin side. and from what i have gathered so far i Ambrose Tomlinson was my grt, grt,grt,grt,grt,Grandfather. Maybe you could help me. My email is suzyscocker@yahoo.com. Thanks Rebecca Tomlin Eubank

Martin/Clements 1800s connection

Gayle (View posts)
Posted: 26 Nov 2000 4:35PM GMT
I tried your e-mail but it came back. Do you know of a connection between Abraham Martin and James Powell Clements. Mary "Polly" Martin, daughter of Abraham and Jane m. Jesse Clements. Many speculate that he is a part of their famly. Frances Clements signed the marriage certificate of James Powell Clements to Victoria Henson in 1859 in Amherst County. Thanks!

martin/clements connections

Posted: 30 Apr 2001 5:16PM GMT
Edited: 13 Sep 2001 2:08AM GMT
I am Alice Lawhorne Lilley, daughter of Allie Reed and Gracie Lelia Lawhorne of Amherst County. My father's mother was Nora Jane ("Jennie" Cash. Her mother was Frances Clements who was married to John "Jack " Cash. My records show the parents of Frances Clements to be Jesses Clements and Mary Martin who was the daughter of Abraham Martin and Jane Trible. Jennie Cash is buried on Franklin's Creek in a gravae marked only by a fieldstone (I have a photo of my dad with that stone). In that same graveyard are Abraham Martin and Jane and their daughter Mary who was married to Jesses Clements. The information I have indicates that Jesses Clements died in Missouri. I don't see a James P. Clements listed amongst the children. Do you have more information?

martin/clements connections

Posted: 30 Apr 2001 5:19PM GMT
I am Alice Lawhorne Lilley, daughter of Allie Reed and Gracie Lelia Lawhorne of Amherst County. My father's mother was Nora Jane ("Jennie" Cash. Her mother was Frances Clements who was married to John "Jack " Cash. My records show the parents of Frances Clements to be Jesses Clements and Mary Martin who was the daughter of Abraham Martin and Jane Trible. Jennie Cash is buried on Franklin's Creek in a gravae marked only by a fieldstone (I have a photo of my dad with that stone). In that same graveyard are Abraham Martin and Jane and their daughter Mary who was married to Jesses Clements. The information I have indicates that Jesses Clements died in Missouri. I don't see a James P. Clements listed amongst the children. Do you have more information?

Martins/Clements connections

Posted: 30 Apr 2001 5:37PM GMT
I find James P. Clements as the son of Jonathan Clements and Tabitha McCloud and the BROTHER of my father's grandmother Nancy Clements. Could this be the one? If so we're probably distant cousins of some kind, right? I didn't see your e-mail address. Please contact me directly if you'd like to share further information. I'm trying to locate ancestors of my mother's grandmother, Rebecca Martin. Any help on that?

Abe Martin - Amherst

Posted: 30 Apr 2001 5:52PM GMT
I am Alice Lawhorne Lilley,daughter of Allie Reed and Gracie Lelia Lawhorne of Amherst Co.
The Abe Martin in my family was born in l840 but he was married to Jane Trible and was the father of my father's grandmother, Mary Martin. Mary, Abraham and Jane are buried on Franklin's creek. There are a number of unmarked stones there indicating other members of that family. I don't see Mary listed with the children of Abram Bluford Martin and I do not believe they are the same. There is an AB Martin born l826 buried in the Martin cemetary at Forks of Buffalo. The only other marked stone there is a Harrison who died as a child. There are many other graves marked only by fieldstones.
This is getting curiouser and curiouser!

Bluford Martin

Posted: 30 Apr 2001 6:37PM GMT
Another interesting tidbit - The cemetary I mentioned on Franklin's Creek containing the burial sites for Abraham Martin amd Jane Trible and Mary Martin and her daughter Jennie Cash is located near the "Bluford Martin property"! I have some information indicating that Abraham and Jane had sons Abram and Thomas. Could that Abram be Bluford? This is getting strange. I have Abraham b. l774,dl840 est. as the one buried there and the one married to Jane Trible who is also there. Bluford has to have some connection. I have a cousin who is desperately searching for the ancestors of her great-grandfather - Kinkle Martin. Any info on that name?

Martin/Clements connection

Posted: 1 May 2001 11:51AM GMT
Edited: 3 Jan 2002 11:29AM GMT
Thank you so much for getting back to me. This has been such a brick wall for us. James Powell Clements married Victoria Malinda Henson in 1859. His birth certificate indicates he was 21. It is signed by parent: Frances (but it is smudged.) He enlisted in the 58th Virginia Infantry at Milner's store in 1861 with Abraham, John, and Jesse Clements all sons of Mary "Polly" Martin and Jesse Clements, Sr. There are only two Frances (Francis) Clements that I can find in Amherst. One bought property in 1811 and sold it in 1812 never to be heard of again. He was married to Phany Page. We assumed brother to Jonathan (John) Clements who married Tabitha McCloud. the other Frances was daughter of Mary "Polly" and Jesse. She was born in 1820. James Powell would have been born about 1838-39. He is not listed on the 1850 census (I don't think). In Abraham Martin's will he leaves his bed to his granddaughter, Frances. However he also leaves his "little boy James Powell to his daughter Mary "Polly" to grow up with her twins. I surmise was that perhaps he was the illegitimate son of Frances and lived with his grandparents while they were moving to Missouri. I had found James Powell and Victoria living with a Polly Clements and Susan Everett on the 1860 (I think) census. I'm at work and away from my notes. Nearby is Frances and Jack Cash. I had noted from somewhere that Frances had married Jack Cash but the only marriage I could find in the courthouse for Jack Cash was to Frances Carter. Therefore I thought my info was wrong. I'll be home later this afternoon. Let me know what you think. I'll pull my notes out.

Re: Bluford Martin

Posted: 9 Apr 2012 3:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am Kinkle Martin's great granddaughter. My grandfather was William Thomas Martin (Kinkle's son). I know that Kinkle and Bluford were cousins. Bluford's homestead is in Amherst, Va, on Mt. Horeb Road on the left towards the church. If anyone has any information on the Martin ancestor's, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me. I am more than willing to let everyone know what little I know. I now live where Kinkle and Massie lived. Their house burned down in 1994. I grew up next to them. Hope I can help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions