Search for content in message boards

Benjamin Andrus married to Elma/Elmina Ortego

Benjamin Andrus married to Elma/Elmina Ortego

Trish (View posts)
Posted: 14 Aug 2004 1:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for info on my Benjamin Andrus. On the 1910 census in LA sd he was born <1880> in LA and died 10 Nov 1932 in either St Landry or Evangeline Parish. He married Elma/Elmina Ortego (daugh of Joachim Ortego and Euphamie Soileau) before 1910. I know his children were: Albert (b1906) and Linton (b1910) and Esther (b1914). All were born in St Landry Parish. I thought his parents were Benjamin T Andrus and Amelia Richard...but someone recently found me and sd that Benjamin T's son Benjamin had different wives (Isabel Miller and Felicia Guillory) than my Benjamin (Elma Ortego). Am hoping someone out there can help me sort this mess out. Thanks SO much!!!

Re: Benjamin Andrus married to Elma/Elmina Ortego

Debbie Morrogh (View posts)
Posted: 17 Aug 2004 2:45AM GMT
Surnames: Andrus, Richard
Source: Father Hebert's books, Southwest Louisiana Records

I don't know if this information is going to help you or confuse you as there are discrepancies.

Andrus, Benjamin (Benjamin & Amelia Richard) b. 30 Sept 1879 (Church Point Ch.: vol 4, page 108)

Church Point church is Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Catholic Church, 114 N. Bienvenu St, Church Point, La 70525

Marriage:
Andrus, Benjamin married 17 Jan 1905 Elmire Ortego (Opel Ct Hse: # 31109)

Ortego, Elmire (Lucien & Appoline Vidrine) m. 17 Jan 1905 Benjamin Andres (VP Church vol 7, page 131)

Ville Platte Church is Sacred Heart Catholic Church, 708 East Main St, Ville Platte, La 70586

Albert Andres (Benjamin & Elmire Ortego) born 15 July 1906 (VP Ch vol 8, page 271)

Ella Andrus (Ben & Amelia Richard) b. 10 June 1877 (CP Ch vol 4, page 83)

Andrus, Benjamin T (Theophile & Eloise Richard) m. 26 Sept 1860 Amelia Richard (GC Ch vol 3, page 141)

Andrus, Benjamin P. m. 22 Sept 1860 Amelia Richard (Opel Ct Hse Mar # 2090)

Opel. Ct Hse is St Landry Parish Courthouse, Opelousas, La
These records begin in 1808 (Some as early as 1790's)

Richard, Amelia (Raphael & Adelaide Boudreaux) m. 26 Sept 1860 Benjamin L. Andrus (GC Ch vol 2, page 141)

Grand Coteau church is St Charles Borromeo Catholic Church, Grand Coteau, La 70541. These records begin in 1819.
Debbie

Trish (View posts)
Posted: 17 Aug 2004 10:02PM GMT
Debbie-Thanks SO much!! I am sure that the Elmire you listed was my Elma or Elmina(I have seen her both ways). I have her as the daughter of Joamim Ortego and Euphimie Soileau.. not Lucien Ortego and Appoline Vidrine. If there is anything I can do for you..just let me know and I'll do my best.-Trish

Trish (View posts)
Posted: 17 Aug 2004 10:05PM GMT
Oh, I forgot to tell you that I don't have access to the Father Hebert books..but I did see them when I went down to Louisiana @ the library in Ville Platte. I didn't get to stay long but am planning to go down there next spring and will spend more time.-Trish

Debbie Morrogh (View posts)
Posted: 17 Aug 2004 11:23PM GMT
Surnames: Andrus, Richard
You're welcome Trish. All the information I sent you came from Father Hebert's books.

You seemed a little uncertain about birthdates and since I have the set of Hebert's books at home I decided to try and look a few things up for you. Father Hebert says Elmire was the daughter of Lucien Ortego and Appoline Vidrine---so I don't know whats up with that.

Benjamin Andrus has more brothers & sisters too. I didn't send you all that because I didn't know how detailed you wanted to get. Many born before him and at least one after him.

Glad I could help. Debbie

Posted: 30 Sep 2004 4:25PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jan 2005 1:55AM GMT
Hello: I am also researching the Andrus family in St. Landry Parish, LA. It is very difficult because they all seem to use the same given names. I have three Benjamin Andruses in my tree (so far): 1-born between 1794 and 1804, 1 born 1769 (listed as Benjamin, Jr.), and 1 born 1735 (listed as Benjamin, Sr.). I would love to share information with you on this family..they are truly hard to get a grip on. I found out recently that MY Joseph Andrus passed away about 25 years before I thought he did and I have been collecting information on the wrong one! What a mess.

Please feel free to contact me, maybe two heads will be better than one.

Darlene

Trish (View posts)
Posted: 1 Oct 2004 6:25PM GMT
Hi Darlene-how are you? I figured out my mess. Here is my Andrus line:Curtis Andrus>Linton Andrus>Benjamin Andrus (b 1880-81)>Jean Phillipe(John) Andrus>Albert Andrus>John Andrus>Theophile Andrus>Joseph Andrus/Andrews>Benjamin Andrews/Andrus(b Abt 1735)>Joseph Andrews/Andrus>Robert Andrews>Thomas Andrews.

My Jean Phillipe (son of Theophile and Elouise Richard) had a brother named Benjamin T (b 10 Aug 1837) who had a so named Benjamin (1880) but this one was not my Benjamin but my guy's cousin.

This makes it VERY confusing when there is more than one Benjamin born abt the same year (no definate dates yet).

Every Louisiana Andrus is decended from Benjamin Andrus (b 1735 in Brunswick Co VA d 1822 St Landry Parish LA). His son Joseph (b1763 NC d19 May 1834 St Lan Par LA) was my ancestor on this line.

Is there anything in particular that you want? I have lots of info on the Andrus' and would love to share but there's not enough room here...email me summermisterdogs@hotmail.com

Oh, when I mistakenly thought Benjamin T was my man..I ordered his Civil War Military Records, if this is your line, I'll copy and send to you. Let me know.

Good luck and keep in touch-Trish

Trish (View posts)
Posted: 1 Oct 2004 6:48PM GMT
Ooops...I messed up.

Here's my line (correctly this time)

Me>Curtis Andrus>Linton Andrus>Benjamin Andrus(b1880-81)>Albert Andrus>Jean Phillipe Andrus>Theophile Andrus> John Andrus/Andrews>Joseph Andrus>Benjamin Andrews/Andrus (b1735)>Jospeh Andrews (b1685)>Robert Andrews/Andrus>Thomas Andrews.

Thomas is the furthest I have gotten. He married Dorothy Lambert in All Saints, New Castle upon Tyne, Northcumberland, England on 10 Dec 1630. They had 1 child that I have found:Robert (b VA 1663). Robert married Anne (unknown last name). They had 1 known child:Joseph (b 1685 VA) who married Elizabeth Proctor. They had 1 son: Benjamin (b1735 VA) who married Marie Hardgraves. I have lots of info on THIS Benjamin.They had 10 children: Jacque (james) Soloman, Joseph, William, Elizabeth, Sara Celeste, Juan Bautisita (john), Benjamin (b1769), Susana, and David. Joseph (b 1763) married Marie Hayes and had 12 children:Jesse, Joseph Elah (b1783), John (b 19 Nov 1784), Susanne, Augustin, Mary, Solomon (b 1799), David, Mary Elizabeth, Hilaire, Jean and Isabelle. John married Marie Collins 23 Nov 1802 Grand Coteau LA. They had 1 child: Theophile. John then married Charlotte Hanchette and they had 2 children: Louis and Joseph. Theophile married Elouise Richard and they had 8 children: Marie, Eugenie, Eliza, Jean Phillipe, Adolphe, Benjamin T, Louis and John. Jean Phillipe was my guy! I do know that Benjamin T had a son named Benjamin also (b 1880).

Benjamin was a VERY popular name in this line, so was Jean/John and Joseph. Hope this helps you out.

How are you related to this line? Email me summermisterdogs@hotmail.com

Marie Johnson (View posts)
Posted: 30 Nov 2004 2:27AM GMT
In your reply, you mentioned an Adolphe Andrus.
I wonder if this is my great-grandfather, Adolph Andrus, Sr.
My grandmother Adelaide Andrus (b 1900) father's name was Adolphe.
Do you know anything else about him? The names of his children?
You guys are right-- this gets very confusing.
Thanks!
Marie

Trish (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jan 2005 9:08PM GMT
Marie,

SORRY it has taken me so long to reply. I'm sure you found your answer by now but....the Adolphe in my line died in the Civil War. He was injured and sent to the General Hospital-Chimbarazo in Richmond VA and died 9 May 1862. He had enlisted as a Confederate on 27 March 1862. I have his occupation listed as a Schoolmaster. Source: Records of Louisiana Confederate Soldiers and Louisiana Confederate Commands.

Good luck,
Trish
per page

Find a board about a specific topic