I am interested in locating the parents of Thomas Ballard, born about 1797 in S.C., married Martha Hammond, daughter of Samuel Burford Hammond and Nancy Twitty, on April 25, 1822, in Lancaster County, S.C. Their son, Hiram T. and family moved to Missisisppi. Thomas died in Mississippi during the War Between the States, while son Hiram was fighting. Who are the parents of Thomas? There are so many Thomas names in the Ballard family that I'm not certain. Any help would be appreciated
I am looking for my connection to the Lancaster and Kershaw Counties, SC Twitty family. Some of the possible connections are John Twitty b. 1770-1775 d. bef 1840 in Dubois Co., IN, William Twitty b.1780-1790, and Burford Twitty b. 1780-1790 d. bef 1840 in Dubois Co., IN. Do you have any more information on this family?
Lynn, Hope this helps. Mike Hammond
Descendants of Thomas Ballard, Major
Generation No. 1
1. THOMAS1 BALLARD, MAJOR was born 1751 in Albermarle County, Virginia, and died 1843 in Lancaster, Co., South Carolina. He married (1) MARY PARKS STAFFORD Unknown. She was born Unknown, and died Unknown. He married (2) ELIZABETH GRAHAM Unknown. She was born Unknown, and died Unknown.
Children of THOMAS BALLARD and MARY STAFFORD are:
i. SUSANNAH2 BALLARD, m. SAMUEL CASTON, CAPTAIN.
ii. JAMES BALLARD.
2. iii. THOMAS PARKS BALLARD, b. 1799, Lancaster Co., South Carolina.
Child of THOMAS BALLARD and ELIZABETH GRAHAM is:
iv. MARY2 BALLARD, b. Unknown; d. Unknown.
Generation No. 2
2. THOMAS PARKS2 BALLARD (THOMAS1) was born 1799 in Lancaster Co., South Carolina. He married MARTHA HAMMOND Apr 25, 1822, daughter of SAMUEL HAMMOND and NANCY TWITTY. She was born Apr 4, 1804 in Kershaw, Lancaster County, SC, and died Apr 28, 1851.
Children of THOMAS BALLARD and MARTHA HAMMOND are:
i. MARY SUSANNAH3 BALLARD, b. Jul 6, 1824.
ii. SAMUEL D. BALLARD, b. Oct 19, 1827.
iii. HIRAM T BALLARD, b. Jan 10, 1830.
3. iv. NANCY TWITTY BALLARD, b. Feb 3, 1832.
v. REBECCA BALLARD, b. Jan 19, 1835.
Generation No. 3
3. NANCY TWITTY3 BALLARD (THOMAS PARKS2, THOMAS1) was born Feb 3, 1832. She married ISAAC WILLIAM HUNTER.
Child of NANCY BALLARD and ISAAC HUNTER is:
4. i. SARAH4 HUNTER, b. Apr 7, 1853; d. Jan 15, 1944.
Generation No. 4
4. SARAH4 HUNTER (NANCY TWITTY3 BALLARD, THOMAS PARKS2, THOMAS1) was born Apr 7, 1853, and died Jan 15, 1944. She married WILLIAM SAMUEL R HARPER. He was born Apr 23, 1854, and died Sep 9, 1899.
Children of SARAH HUNTER and WILLIAM HARPER are:
i. JOHN5 HARPER, b. Feb 9, 1879; d. Dec 12, 1949; m. EDNA CORNELIA FERGUSON.
ii. ELIZABETH HARPER, b. Jan 3, 1880; d. Unknown.
iii. BESSIE HARPER, b. Jan 23, 1881; d. Nov 4, 1957; m. WILLIAM JAMES MARSHALL; b. Sep 6, 1880; d. Sep 23, 1942.
iv. EMMA HARPER, b. Apr 7, 1883; d. Jan 15, 1944; m. JAMES HARVEY HARPER; b. Aug 4, 1877; d. Mar 1, 1962.
v. JAMES M HARPER, b. 1885; d. 1908.
Martha Hammond Ballard was the sister of my 3rd g-grandfather, Francis Hammond. This is what I have on Thomas Ballard, Jr. and Sr. I am quoting directly from "The Hammond Family of Lancaster County, S.C.", a genealogy of the family done by Beiman Otis Prince in 1965.
"Martha Hammond, born April 4, 1804, the daughter of Samuel Burford Hammond and Nancy Twitty. She married April 25, 1822 to Thomas Ballard, Jr., a man of much prominence. He was a large land owner as was his father, Thomas Ballard, Senior, who owned a large cotton gin and more than 25 slaves as early as 1800, when he is shown to have ginned forty bales of cotton." I know this isn't much, but maybe it will help. Regards, Irene.
That's all I have on Thomas Ballard Sr. & Jr. from Lancaster County, however, the information posted to you by Mike Hammond should answer any questions you have. Irene.
Thanks, do you have any evidence that either of your Thomas Ballards was Thomas Parks Ballard? I keep getting information that states this, but I've never seen any evidence of this. Thanks, Lynn
My ancestors are Isaac W and Nancy (Ballard) HUNTER. I have put a hold on trying to go back to Thomas Ballard's family. I subscribed to the Ballard mailing list for a few months and posted queries there. The problem is that research needs to be done in Kershaw Co, SC which is more than I feel able to take on. As far as I can tell, the several BALLARDs of SC have not been sorted out. I have found several Thomas BALLARDS who seem not to be my ancestor.
My ancestor, Thomas BALLARD, born ca 1797/1800 in SC, married 25 April 1822 Martha HAMMOND, only daughter of Samuel Burford and Nancy (TWITTY) HAMMOND. Martha was buried at the Hammond cemetery near Heath Springs, Lancaster Co, SC, where her tombstone says she lived 4 April 1804--28 April 1851 and left six children. The 1850 census of Lancaster District, SC lists Thomas (53) and family. Several years after Nancy's death, Thomas BALLARD and son Hiram T. moved to Choctaw Co, MS, and are found on the 1860 census under Poplar Creek PO. Thomas, age 60 born SC. Based on birth places of his son's children, they were in SC ca 1855, GA ca 1857, and MS in 1859. In 1862 Isaac W. HUNTER (my great-great-grandfather) and Samuel D. BALLARD applied for Letters of Administration in Lancaster Co, SC on this Thomas BALLARD. (Lancaster Ledger 10 Dec 1862.)
--1 Mary Susan born 6 July 1824. There is a tombstone at Salem Cemetery at Heath Springs, SC for one Susan (BALLARD) DUNCAN (3 Jan 1824--13 May 1899) who may be the same, allowing for one or more errors in dates. If so, then this was wife of Henry H. DUNCAN (1822-1899).
--2 Samuel D. (19 Oct 1827--12 Jan 1901) married 26 Dec 1852 Margaret Jane BELL (19 Feb 1830-14 Sept 1905). Several children.
--3 Hiram T. born 19 Jan 1830. In Choctaw Co, MS in 1860 listed as age 30 born SC. His wife Sarah N. was 25. Their children were listed as Thomas E. 5 SC; Mary M. 3 GA; and Samuel 1 MS.
--4 Nancy Twitty (3 Feb 1833-13 Aug 1893) married 1 May 1849 Isaac Williamson HUNTER (17 Jan 1819-3 Nov 1894). A family Bible has 1832 as year of birth and spells first name "Nancey", but obituary and tombstone have 1833.
--5 Rebecca born 19 Jan 1835 married Joseph Thornwell BELL (7 Nov 1835-28 Oct 1899).
--6 William F. is not found in a Bible record, but is listed in 1850 as 9 in SC and 1860 as 19 in MS.
* On the 1830 census Thomas C and Thomas P Ballard were in Lancaster District, SC. So the Thomas Ballard in the 30-39 bracket in Kershaw District is probably mine. There were two boys and a girl under age 5 which would be Samuel and Hiram (born that January) and Susan (who really should have been in the 5-9 bracket). I have not yet looked at 1840 entry for Thomas in Kershaw.
* This deed may refer to my Thomas Ballard
1833, Feb 22 (Kershaw Co, SC Deed N, p 223): Thomas BALLARD of Kershaw District for $150 sells to Samuel B. Hammond one-half interest in his grist mill on his land on the waters of Beaver Creek.
Re: Twitty family of NC/SC
I am a Twitty from kershaw county.. Born in Camden family from lancaster, kershaw etc...father ira b twitty...grandfather otis twitty...he died young...no further trail...any help or info?