Search for content in message boards

Trying to find out the parents of my ggf, John Brown

Trying to find out the parents of my ggf, John Brown

Posted: 15 Apr 2013 6:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brown Vaughan Wadkins, Berry
I am trying to find out some information on my ggf, John Brown. Unfortunately, it is a too common name and not much is known about him. I do know that on March 16, 1864, he married Arminta Vaughan, the daughter of Leroy "Loy" Vaughan at Loy's brother, Strother's house in Floyd County, I have a copy of that license. John Brown's birthdate is problematic. He gives a whole range of years that he was born, but in one census states he was born in April 1844. In a later census he alleges he was born 15 years later. It is complicated by the fact that he could neither read nor write. In the 1870 Census, he shows up in Greenup County, where Arminta's brother, Barton Vaughan, lives nearby. Then he and Arminta move to Breathitt County, where they live at Noctor until his death in Feb. 13, 1933. They had one child, a son, named Sanford Brown. Of course the death certificate is informed by a daughterinlaw of his grandson, and who knows if the information is correct or guesswork. Curiously, John Brown had the nickname "Uncle" so he must have had some siblings somewhere. Hints about his parents say that his father was Berry Brown, a book in and of itself and his mother was a Wadkins. I have had no luck tracing this. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Cris Brown

Re: Trying to find out the parents of my ggf, John Brown

Posted: 15 Apr 2013 10:01PM GMT
Surnames: Brown
Berry Brown had a son named John Brown,born 1836 he also had a son Joseph Brown,who had a son Sanford Brown by a Mary Hamilton.John Brown was married to Nancy Montgomery
don't know if this is one of yours or not.

Carol Sexton

Posted: 15 Apr 2013 10:20PM GMT
Hi Carol: Doesn't seem like the right one really. But I know so little... I appreciate your reply. Cris Brown p.s. I did think that the name Sanford was perhaps a family name...but just like Arminta and Leander , it could perhaps just be a popular name at the time. Appreciate it.

Posted: 16 Apr 2013 12:24AM GMT
David Brown was Berry Brown son,and Sanford Brown is Davids son.and Davids wife was a Wadkins. maybe this is who you are lookin for.

carolsexton2008@hotmail.com

Posted: 16 Apr 2013 1:19PM GMT
Thanks, I'll try to investigate this further, the problem is I know who my ggf married, Arminta Vaughan and the other wife's name doesn't come into it...I'll look into it though. Thanks again.

Posted: 16 Apr 2013 3:15PM GMT
Surnames: Brown
The Sanford in David Brown family married Arminta(Minta) Vaughn.they were all Postmasters in Brethett KY,if you need any of what I have,let me know will send by postal mail .just email me your address.i put my email on last post.i am no relation but am doing reaserch for someone,on the Brown family.

Carol

Posted: 16 Apr 2013 5:49PM GMT
Hey Carol!!!!

There seems to be a ring of truth in this -- but it is all mixed up.

Fact: My ggrfather's name was John Brown, and he married Arminta Vaughan. I grew up playing in that cemetery and I promise you this is the match up of people.

I wonder if my GGF could have been David John or John David.... I'd be very interested in your research-----

Please find marriage certs, death cert for Sallie Wireman Brown a photo of the three generations, John Brown, his grandson, John Wesley Brown and his son, Sanford Brown, a photo of three generations, Sant's wife, Sallie Wireman Brown, her son, John Wesley Brown and her motherinlaw, Arminta Vaughan.

BUT, my ggf, Sanford Brown, John and Arminta's son, was a postmaster at Noctor-- Sanford's wife, Sarah Sallie Wireman, was a relief postmistress. I have all the postmaster stuff documented on my Brown Tree.

My grandfather, John Wesley Brown, Sant's son, was a relief postmaster for my grandmother, Thelma Jane Truesdell. My father was Jack Brown, John and Thelma's oldest.

If you're doing research on this set of Browns-- please look at my tree, it's all done. I have marriage licenses and documentation through birth/death records and census as well as photos of everyone ... acb1030 is my username on ancestry. My email address is acb1030@hotmail.co.uk or you can contact me on here.

I'd be happy to give you full access to my tree. I assume you're a professional genealogist, I have no problem with this.

Thank you so much for giving me a possible lead...Cris Brown.

Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions