Search for content in message boards

Ancestry's DNA results with a surprise

Ancestry's DNA results with a surprise

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 2:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Jan 2013 1:23PM GMT
Surnames: De Leon
Gee, I can't believe it took me so long to find this site. I took both Ancestry's DNA tests and am so confused. The 1st was the mt-DNA. I am trying to determine my mother's line, which includes the Ponce De Leon line. Supposedly one of the discoverers of Peru,etc. Well, the test came back group L, out of Africa some 150,000 years ago...A big disappointment. Didn't we all!!
Then I did the ethnic test. 43% Central Europe, 25% Scandinavian, 23% Southern Europe, and 7% West African. Big surprise with the 7% West African. Where did that come from, which side, maternal or paternal? How do I find out?
What is considered West African> I know back in the mid 1700's some of my mother's line came from the Canary Islands, to Cuba, then to Louisiana. Are they considered West African? Should I wait and do another mt-DNA test, I really want to know. Surnames below are my mothers line that I know of. Thanks for letting me ramble,
Sally in Louisiana

Re: Dna results with a surprise

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 4:08AM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 17 Jan 2013 6:25PM GMT

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 4:17AM GMT
Thanks, but I read that. Since I am not African American, not that I know of for the past 500 hundred years, and the article did mention Canary Islands, I was just trying to verify the Canaries.

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 8:28AM GMT
The Canary Islands are not considered to be a part of West Africa. Most likely the results in your test are an indication of West African slaves brought to the Americas during the Transatlantic Slave Trade.

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 2:56PM GMT
That seems to be the problem. I traced my lines back to their original countries for say two/three hundred years. None are African American. They come from Spain, Balearic Islands, England, and France in the middle 1850s. The Spanish Ponce de Leon line is the oldest. He was governor of St Augustine in 1650..His daughter's family left Florida for Cuba and married into the Solis/Perez and Ronquillo families. The Perez were from the Canaries, the Ronquillo and Solis from Spain. Abt 1800 they left Cuba for Louisiana. Thanks to the French and Spanish it was very easy to document the family here in Louisiana. I can find no African American. If I could I would not be so surprised. I am trying to find where in Africa the 7% comes from.
I reread the original statement on my dna test it it does say Canary Islands. I am so open to suggestions.
Sally in Louisiana

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 3:10PM GMT
the percentages shown in the Ethnicity portion of your DNA results and the DNA matches/Tree info are two different things.

The Ethnicity report reflects lineage from many many 100's to 1000's of years ago. Before our current written records.

If you were of 100% Scandinavian decent based on your family tree and you had some percentage of West African in your results maybe it would be puzzling but with all the ancestry from Spain, the Canarys, etc I'm not surprised at all by your results.

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 4:27PM GMT
That makes sense. So I would need to go back more than several hundred years, beyond records. I know my dad's master bootmaker side is from England, traced that to mid 1750, and the Balearic's to the 1500s. On the Ponce de Leon side in the General Archives of the Indias, 1630,there is a record of the merits of Nicolas Ponce de Leon, that states his paternal grandfather was one of the 1st discovers and conquerors of the provinces of Peru. I suspect somewhere along, this may be where the 7% comes from. But hey, with all the marauding in Europe prior to that, who knows. I just took it to be an exotic ancestry.
Thanks for your input.
Sally

Re: Ancestry's DNA results with a surprise

Posted: 20 Jul 2013 2:07PM GMT
I encourage you to research "mulatto" or "creole" history in Louisiana. From the information you've shared, you can probably find RECENT clues regarding your African Ancestry by starting there (or Cuba).

You may have relatives / ancestors that were indeed Black, but "passed for white" for protection. This happened FREQUENTLY in Louisiana and other states across America.

Look into your Cuban relatives as well. More African slaves ended up in the Caribbean & South America, than the USA during the midatlantic slave trade. Your Cuban relative could be a descendent of one of those slaves.

Embrace all of you. Good luck with your research!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions