Search for content in message boards

Looking for info on an Ontario Depew line

Looking for info on an Ontario Depew line

Posted: 1 Oct 2002 8:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Depew, Swan
My father, Joseph Chauncey Francais Depew, son of Chauncey Depew, was born in 1934 in Ontario. I believe that his relatives live in or near a place called souix fall, or souix lookout. My father died a few years back without passing on much information of his relatives. This what he did tell me (questionable info at best). The Depews were orgionally French Hugenots (sp?), who moved to England for obvious reasons. From there, they moved to America, where we had plantations, also slaves, explaining african-american depews. We sided with the british in the revolution (why do you think my name is Tory?), and then moved to Canada. He once said something about the king giving us a chunk of land for siding with the british. He also claimed that we were related to the famous Chauncey Depew. Other than that, all I know is Joseph and his father Chauncey, and mother Margorie (maiden name Swan) moved to America when Joseph was 15. Joseph had 7 children, Myself, Tory, my brothers, Ferdinand, Gerald, Heath, Drake,and Bennett, and my sister, Kathleena. This is what I've been told, and would like to know the truth of any of it, and also any information on current relatives living in Ontario.

Re: Looking for info on an Ontario Depew line

Posted: 6 Oct 2002 3:33PM GMT
Sioux Lookout is in the Kenora District; the Gen Web site is: http://www.kenora.net/district/

If your ancestors are hugenots, then the original spelling may be Dupuis, and you can only guess how many English spelling variations of the pronunication of a French name there might be (i.e. Depue). Land grants were given to many British subjects who fought on the British side of the American Revolution and then came to Canada. Some of the indexes of the Land Grants books are online: http://www.ogs.on.ca/ogspi/uclandv3.htm

You can try searching for relatives through Canada 411:
http://canada411.sympatico.ca/eng/person.html and writing to ones who live in the general vicinity of Sioux Lookout. By obtaining a copy of your father's birth certificate, you can try working backwards to find a marriage certificate for your grandparents, which can help lead you backwards to a location to search for in the 1901 census.

Posted: 24 Jan 2004 12:15AM GMT
Edited: 29 Feb 2004 11:31AM GMT
Surnames: Depew, Gives
Hello Tory,
I am Gloria Gaye Depew-Kendrick in Michigan. I am searching for information about my paternal grandmother, Thelma Gives-Depew who was from Canada and died when my father was 5. My grandfather Harold David Depew married her when she was 18. They moved to Michigan. My father is Harold William Depew. We are also related to Chauncey Depew, and my father looks just like him. I have been able to get birth certificate information about my father so I have the correct spelling of his mother's name. Except for one photo of her as a young woman, that is all I know about her. So , hello cousin.

Posted: 29 Feb 2004 11:42AM GMT
Tory, I have dropped you a note before but I have asked my father some additional questions and thought this might help in your search. My father is Harold William Depew son of Harold David Depew who married Thelma Gives of Canada. From there they moved to Michigan. My dad tells me his father had 4 siblings: Jack, Chauncey, Peter, and Marge. He also said he remembers being related to Canfields, who were world famous archers, and a famous heart surgeon whose last name was McDonald. My father also says he remembers family members passing on from leukemia. I don't know too much about my heritage other than being related to Chauncey Depew as my grandmother, Thelma Gives, died when my father was 5 or 7 years old and he had a bad relationship with his stepmother. Let me know if this helps.

Gaye

Posted: 31 Jul 2012 7:22PM GMT
Surnames: Depew
Can you tell me the names of your cousins or uncles? I recall my father talking about his uncles Joseph, Chauncey, and Pete (we knew Uncle Pete-he was great). My father was born in 1921.

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 11:31PM GMT

I once lived in Sioux Lookout, it's a small town, maybe the
Library can help in your search
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions