Search for content in message boards

Another Cheek Cemetery?

Another Cheek Cemetery?

Posted: 15 Jun 2009 4:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cheek
Hi all,

I recently ordered the G.P. Stout map of Alleghany County. Garland P. Stoud has a historian who made some very interesting maps of NC counties.

There is a "Cheek Cemetery" on this map that I am not familiar with, located off Road 1114A (Hudson Road). I have created this Google map link that will show the approximate location (based on the G.P. Stout map)

http://tinyurl.com/mrh7nz

Does anyone know if there is an old cemetery in this location and if so, what's it called if it's not called the Cheek Cemetery?

Thanks so much!
Rebecca

Re: Another Cheek Cemetery?

Posted: 16 Jun 2009 4:13PM GMT
Surnames: CHEEK
Rebecca,there are many inaccuracies in the map. The Alleghany County Library has a complete cemetery inventory that was done by the local genealogy society, and the library staff will look up things for people. I personally don't recall having seen a cemetery where the map shows one, but it might be far from the road as it seems to be on private land. Because I don't have time this week to help, I suggest 2 things:
1. Call head librarian Debbie Brewer at the Alleghany County Library at 336-372-5573.
2. Call the Alleghany County Register of Deeds at 336-372-4342. Also at the Alleghany County government website you can look at all the land etc. yourself. I think it's in the section called mapping.
Cecelia

Re: Another Cheek Cemetery?

Posted: 13 Sep 2011 12:37AM GMT
I am not researching Cheek family, but I noticed your posts and correction from Check to Cheek on the same page where I corrected one. My only reason to know the difference is that I have had a home in Alleghany County for a number of years, although my family is not from here. Regarding cemeteries, have you been looking for cemeteries where there are Cheek graves? If so, have you looked at the cemetery at Liberty Missionary Baptist Church? The church & cemetery are in Whitehead, at approximately 110 Air Bellows Gap Road, although some of the maps do poorly at finding the location. I'd be glad to get names off of the headstones in the Libery MBC graveyard.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic