Search for content in message boards

exact DNA match

exact DNA match

Posted: 12 May 2005 8:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
I just noticed that my Lancaster DNA matches with some Satterfields from the USA. Unfortunately, as I found this on a database (The Sorensen database) that does NOT put people in contact with each other I have no idea who to get in contact with these people and swap notes. I can trace my family back to the 18th century in Lancashire, Northern England. If anyone recognises themselves as having put themselves in that database, with the Satterfield surname, then go check if you match a Lancaster and if you do --- give me a message?

Regards
Andrew Lancaster

Re: exact DNA match

Lucinda (View posts)
Posted: 14 May 2005 4:51PM GMT
Surnames: Satterfield Mefford Collins
Andrew,

I have a friend who her husband last name is Sorensen but I dont think they have done any rearch on the family. I was going to help her out but we have not started yet. I also have
Satterfield on my dad side,. But have not found much out yet.,
How do I find out if your Satterfield is in my line. My Satterfield John Henry Satterfield Born in 1850 in Missouri.
His father was Jesse Satterfield On Census has him born in Ky and John Mother was MaryTurner Born in In. Also on John
Death Document has his parents listed on it and where they were born.

Posted: 14 May 2005 5:12PM GMT
Thanks for your reply! The name Sorensen just refers to the database and is not relevent here.

I now realise that I should have taken advantage of the one bit of information that the database does give: the ancestry.

I matched (very closely) with 2 Satterfields.

One's ancestry is linked to a file on the familysearch site: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/af/individual_record....
If you run through that tree you should see potential links? The oldest traced male, apparently a William, was born abt 1745 in Chowan NC and died 1813 in Pendleton SC.

For the other one, there was a Fred W Satterfield b. 1865, Chapel Hill Missouri. His son in this line was Lester T Satterfield born in Colorado.

Ring any bells?

Best Regards
Andrew

Lucinda (View posts)
Posted: 14 May 2005 5:31PM GMT
Surnames: Satterfield Mefford Collins
Andrew
Thank for the fast reply. I got my notes out and Jesse Satterfield was born in Warren Co Ky in 1809 Jesse die in 1855 in Ozark Co Mo. I did find a Ephraim Satterfield born in
1785 South Carolina and married a Puth Knowles they were married in 1809 I dont known if this family could be some how within my family. I think Ephraim father and mother are
John Satterfield and Mary Jones.

Lucinda

Posted: 20 May 2005 5:29PM GMT
Lucinda

The IGI shows Ephraim and Ruth having Jesse in 1809, with Jesse then marrying a Mary. On the other hand the IGI can be wrong.

Ephraim seems to have married and died in Warren, Knox, Kentucky. At least 2 different dates for the death, but always the same place! A marriage date of 12 DEC or NOV 1809 is given in some entries (an odd looking entry, which must be wrong, gives 03 NOV 1829) . 3 types of entries give 3 birth states: Kentucky, Virginia or South Carolina. The South Carolina ones are the only ones that give parents names: John and Elizabeth Mary Jones.

One entry claims that this John was born in Hardy County, West Virginia. Another says he was born in SC.

From here we can use the familysearch ancestral files (which can also be wrong) because there is an entry for this John: AFN: VFZ2-63. This family tree claims his paternal ancestor is William SATTERFIELD of Maryland (AFN: 1S5W-X8D) who was born about 1682. This William's son Nathaniel died in NC. And one of his sons, John Isaac, lived and died in Orange and Persons/Parsons? in one of the Carolinas. One of his sons was John, mentioned above. As long as there are no mistakes!

All in all, I'd say the chances are good that there is a connection between these Carolina-connected Satterfields.

Posted: 20 May 2005 5:48PM GMT
Concerning the Colorado DNA family, I presume that their Lester is this one
Lester SATTERFIELD
Birth Date: 16 Nov 1898
Death Date: Jan 1987
Social Security Number: 524-01-0368
State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: Colorado

Death Residence Localities
ZIP Code: 81503
Localities: Grand Jct, Mesa, Colorado
Grand Junction, Mesa, Colorado
Orchard Mesa, Mesa, Colorado
Redlands, Mesa, Colorado

This boy and his family appear in the 1900 census. His mother was German but his father Fred was born Missouri in 1864, while his paternal grand father must have been born in Tennessee.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions