Search for content in message boards

DNA results have me confused

DNA results have me confused

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 8:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
My ancestry is very much British Isles according to what I know. However, my Ancestry DNA results show me as 79 percent Scandinavian. So, what to make of that? Not sure.

Then I looked at the relationship list and saw two people who were possible 3rd to 4th cousins with a 98 percent certainty. I checked out one and immediately knew who she was and how we are related. So my confidence in Ancestry's test rose a bit.

However, the second match has no surnames that I identify at all. We exchanged information and came up with nothing other than his family and mine lived in Seattle around the same time. The curious thing, though, is that his family surnames are heavily Scandinavian.

So . . . . . I'm not sure where to go from here. I thought I knew what my ancestry is but now ???? Do I have some recent relative that was really Scandinavian? Or?

Re: DNA results have me confused

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 8:20PM GMT

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 12:35AM GMT
Do both you and your match have all of your direct ancestors in both trees? This includes all your Great Grand Mothers listed by their maiden names.

Just to give you an idea of the amount of people you're dealing with you have (assuming 2 parents per child) 4096 10th Great Grand Parents. At that same generation you're talking about a total of 8184 direct ancestors.

That's in each tree.

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 1:26PM GMT
Thanks for the link. I think I've digested the issues related to ethnicity and can understand why the results seem illogical even though they probably aren't.

The problem I'm having is with are surnames and lack of relationship. We both have identified our great grandparents with apparent accuracy and we should be related at that level. My other close match certainly is.

Oh well, I'll have to work on this.

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 2:57PM GMT
I would look further back for the shared ancestor. Some of my matches with whom I share ancestors (on paper) are classified as closer or more distant matches than they "should" be.

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 6:28PM GMT
I was shocked to find out I was 45% Scandinavian. I know of lot of British Isles and Dutch connections. I think this ethniticity goes back a lot further. I discovered that the early Germanic tribe came out of Norway. Additionally there were many that went from that area over into Scotland and that area. So I think what we find out is that our British Isles ancestors came from somewhere else before.

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 6:34PM GMT
Yeah, those results refer to a LONG time before. I ignore the 73% Scandinavian and 15% Southern European I got (none of either in my known ancestry). I WILL buy my 12% Uncertain, however. :)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic