Search for content in message boards

orphanage in auburn new york 1917

orphanage in auburn new york 1917

Posted: 17 Feb 2008 3:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: barth, bailey
my grand father is Paul C. Barth he was born February 19, 1917 in auburn New York. his mother Sarah Elizabeth Bailey died giving birth to him. his father was Charles Albert Barth. he had two older brothers named John and Charles, my grand father told us his brothers died in World War two. i was wondering when a baby would go back then if it was orphaned during birth. my grand father also told us his brothers got adopted out but not him. and it was a catholic orphanage.

Re: orphanage in auburn new york 1917

Posted: 1 Jun 2008 6:37PM GMT
Auburn Orphan Asylum R. C.
124 North St.
Incorporated on May 19, 1887

Cayuga Asylum For Destitute Children
66 Owasco St.
Founded in the Spring of 1852
Incorporated on Nov 27, 1853

Posted: 2 Jun 2008 5:40PM GMT
You say in your post the Paul's mother Sarah died giving birth to him. Are you sure of this information ? I ask for the following reasons:
1920 Rochester New York census
Paul Barth, age 3 & Jack Barth age 4 are living in the home of Joseph Heinz a city policeman.

Paul C. Barth born 1917 enlisted in the service on March 15, 1944 in Rochester New York

2 obits I came across are as follows:
October 1915 for the death of Elizabeth Bailey lists survivor as a daughter that she lived with Mrs. Charles Barth of Rochester, a niece Mrs. W.C. Burns, and a nephew Terrance Devlin
and an obit dated 1929 for Katherine Burns says that she died at the home of her nephew Terrance Devlin and also lists as survivors two nieces Mrs. W.C. Bell and Mrs. Sarah Barth of Rochester
Both these obit list the same survivors, one is listed as MRS. CHARLES BARTH AND MRS. SARAH BARTH so I would assume that this BARTH is the same person. BUT Katherine Burns died in 1929.
Worth checking into.

Posted: 22 Jun 2009 12:47AM GMT
i have recently found out that my grandfather lied. his mother did not die giving birth to him she died in 1978 in New York in the home of her son John. his father Charles died in 1918. (not sure how thinking an industrial accident. his mom couldn't take care of him so they were put into foster care. she did eventually get them back but my grandfather never talked to her. but he might have a daughter name Suzanne the same name as my mother and his wife was named Mary. according to Sarah's son johns daughter that i have found.

Posted: 5 Oct 2011 8:19PM GMT
Have you thought about checking with Cayuga Childrens home? They still have the records from my gggg grandfather that was there in 1854. The place was kind of a holding tank for children before they went into foster care. The person that responds to their e-mails is great and loves to help. If you are interested I will give you the email I used :) If he was there they will have the records of who gave him and who he was given too... for the time it is pretty detailed.

Posted: 4 Jun 2012 8:23PM GMT
The orphan story is one my grandfather told who has since passed away, thru ancestry i have found a niece of his, at first she didn't believe that we were family until i sent her a picture and then she knew we were indeed family. my great grandmother who my grandfather says died giving birth to him infact lived into the 1970's and lived with this family member, i do wonder if at one time they were in foster care but then returned to there mother though
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions