Search for content in message boards

McKim & Ellis families - 1810 to 1840

McKim & Ellis families - 1810 to 1840

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 10:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ellis, McKim
Hi! I'm searching for my family roots and due to little knowledge in the family, I'm using Census records.

Specifically I'm looking for:

Effie Ann McKim (abt 1822)
&
Samuel Ellis (abt 1814)

I can find them, married, in the 1850, 1860, 1870, & 1880 Censuses from Ohio to Illinois. They're both being listed as having been born in Virginia, with rough estimates on birth years.

I have a scrap of information showing them as getting married on 7 Feb, 1837 in Waterford, Loudoun County, Virginia. I have yet to find any supporting documentation so I may just be chasing a ghost.

I have a strong suspicion Effie is NOT her name. I have tried every variation of it I can find (some Census list her as Effa). I have tried Evelyn, Euphemia, Elizabeth, and even tried Edda owing to the possibility of difficult to read handwritten records.

I do know that Samuel seems to have a sister, named Ester, as she is showing up in the 1850 Ohio Census as living with Samuel & Effie, but her last name is Ellis & she's 4 years older than Samuel (abt 1810 birth - again in VA).

ANY help, and I do mean ANY help (to include where to look in the archives in Richmond) is greatly appreciated. It has taken me years to just find out Samuel might have a sister. I have no knowledge of parent names, locations, dates, or anything else I can give to help. I am terribly sorry for the complete lack of information I can provide but I hope someone in the area, or with knowledge of the area, can help me supply some small scraps.

Thank you to anyone & everyone who takes even a moment to read this, or who shares any knowledge they might have. I do sincerely appreciate it!
Attachments:

Re: McKim & Ellis families - 1810 to 1840

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 12:51AM GMT
From "Loudoun Co Marriages 1757-1853" by Wertz:

Ellis, Samuel & Effee Ann McKim, dau. of James McKim, bond made 7 Feb. 1837. Shelburne Parish
McKim, James & Martha Wright. m. 1807-1808. Minister: John Mines.

From the Loudoun Co Personal Property Tax Lists:
1837A First District Ellis, Saml.
1838A First District Ellis, Samuel

From my series, “Index to Loudoun Co Deed Books, ...”:

4K:353 Date: 25 Apr 1838 Returned to court: 22 Jun 1838
Samuel ELLIS & wife Effy of Ldn to Thomas PHILLIPS Jr. of Ldn. Bargain and sale of 1/5th of 1 share int. in estate of Patterson WRIGHT dec'd (grandfather of Effy, as ch/o Patty McKIM) after death of widow. Wit: David REECE, N. S. BRADEN. Delv. to PHILLIPS 5 Apr 1848

Email me directly if you have questions.

Pat Duncan
GenNutLdn@msn.com

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 2:15AM GMT
Thank you! Just, wow, thank you so very much! I greatly appreciate you finding this & sharing it with me.

Would the copies, if available, be in Richmond's archives or in Loudoun County? I'd love to get paper copies, just for my own files.

THANK YOU!!

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 2:23AM GMT
The marriage bond would be at the courthouse in Leesburg, as would the entry for the land deed. Check the courthouse website for information on how to get copies directly from them.

The personal property tax lists would be available only at the Library of Virginia on microfilm, as those are of copies sent to the Richmond auditor each year. The courthouse in Leesburg no longer has their copies. The Library of Virginia would also have the land deeds on microfilm.

I know someone who has researched McKim lines in Loudoun. If you email me directly I can give you her email address.

Pat Duncan
GenNutLdn@msn.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions