Search for content in message boards

NSW BDM RECORDS

NSW BDM RECORDS

Posted: 20 Sep 2010 12:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Sep 2010 11:14AM GMT
Can someone tell me why I cannot find death index notes on the BDM site for 2 relatives who died in NSW ,yet their passing and places of death is clearly noted in 2 city newspapers(1863 and 1884)?
I have previously paid for a search with NSW BDM for the relative who passed in 1884 but their search turned up nothing. Could it be a case of misplaced ,damaged or lost records?

Re: NSW BDM RECORDS

Posted: 20 Sep 2010 3:36PM GMT
Hi there,
What are their names? I'll have a look to see if I can solve the problem for you.
matt

Posted: 21 Sep 2010 6:12AM GMT
Hiya,
Sure could!
Could be a case of many things.
A while ago I found a death notice in a Police Gazette for a man who died while away working. As he died in the house of the people he was working for it was up to them to fill in the details. They knew he was married with children and that was all. So the police put notices in the newspapers and gazettes (I guess for his wife to read and contact, but as she couldn't read it was pointless)
The poor mans death was never registered, but is listed in gazettes and newspapers.

I guess sometimes the paperwork never made it to where it had to go or got ruined along the way.
Bad enough nowdays let alone back then.
Remember to use * as a wild while searching just incase names were misspelled or mistranscribed.

Kellie

Posted: 30 Oct 2010 4:18AM GMT
That's a good tip with the truncating * I didn't realise you could do that!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic