Search for content in message boards

Walter Hunter and Helen Hunter: Searching for Great Grandparents

Walter Hunter and Helen Hunter: Searching for Great Grandparents

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 3:31AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Dec 2012 3:07PM GMT
Surnames: Hunter, Van Buskirk
I am trying to find information on a possible great grandfather. My grandmother was given up for adoption as an infant. My mother found some information in my grandmothers things after she died. The information states that Helen Hunter was born March 18, 1897 in New York and died feb 1981 in Phoenix Arizona. Supposedly she married Walter Hunter. It also states that he is listed in the 1920 Arizona Census with the #H-536. It also lists Helen's social security number as 081-28-3524. I know for a fact that my grandmothers birth mothers name was Helen Van Buskirk. My grandmother was born in Arizona. At 12 years of age my grandmother went to live with her mother's sister. Before that she lived in California with her Foster parents whose last name was Nutting. My grandmothers name is Madeline Mary (she went by Nutting) she was born July 31, 1912 in Arizona. I am trying to verify that this person Walter Hunter and Helen Hunter are her parents. I would appreciate any help in verifying this information if possible. My email is cdahners@hotmail.com. Thank You

Re: Walter Hunter and Helen Hunter: Searching for Great Grandparents

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 6:21PM GMT
I'm not related.
1930 US Census, Dungeness Precinct, Clallam County, Washington State
Chambers, Frank, head, 53, 1st married age 38, MN US US, dairy farm laborer
Minnie, wife, 36, 1st married age 18, AZ MS MS
Clifford, son, 18, OR MN AZ
Edward, son 14, OR MN AZ
Nutting, Madeline, 17, sister-in-law, AZ US U

1920 census for Minnie has her born in AZ about 1894, father b. NH, mother b. AZ

Online tree shows Minnie to be Minnie Nutting. This tree lists her parents as Herbert Hooker Nutting and Loretta McCoy.

This tree shows that Herbert Hooker Nutting was also married to Victoria A Van Buskirk, who was born June 1871 in IL, and died Sept 15, 1919 in CA.

In 1880 Victoria was living in a Soldier's Orphan's home in Normal, McLean County, IL. With her were Mary, age 11 and Ella age 5. All were born in IL, but no place of birth was given for their parents. (Could Ella be Helen?)

This MAY connect back to 1870 Census, Sparland, Marshall County, IL
John VanBuskirk, 30, mason, b. OH
Susannah, 22, keeping house, b. OH
Martha, 4, b. IL
Mary C, 1, b. IL

There seems to be some discrepancy in data. If Helen Van Buskirk and Victoria VanBuskirk were siblings, there is a problem. Victoria was an orphan born 1871, and Helen was supposedly born 1897. Census shows Madeline as a sister to Victoria, but that could be an error.

I would suggest questioning the info you found, as to whether it was reliable or just something a previous person found searching online. The SS death index indicates that Helen Hunter received her SS# in New York between 1951 and 1953. I wonder if this is the Helen (VanBuskirk) Hunter that you want at all.

H-536 is the Soundex code which covers the Hunter as well as other surnames. Using Ancestry.com, there is no Walter Hunter in Arizona.

In a family tree I found a newspaper story saying that Victoria VanBuskirk Nutting was born in Bloomington, IL in 1870, and lived with her parents in ElPaso, TX until she married Herbert Nutting about 1898. In the tree where I located this, they had Madeline born in Texas. This matches to a social seurity death index for Madeline M Cornwell who died March 1st 1992 in King County, Washington, born July 30, 1912.

Bloomington is close to Normal Illinois.

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 3:54AM GMT
A search of the AZ state website which has birth records online did not list Madeline's birth. However, I don't know how complete this listing is.

http://genealogy.az.gov/

Maybe??
California, Death Index, 1940-1997 about Helen Hunter
Name: Helen Hunter
[Helen Vanbuskirk]
Birth Date: 5 Aug 1874
Birth Place: Illinois
Death Date: 22 Jun 1959
Death Place: Napa
Mother's Maiden Name: Godinson
Father's Surname: Vanbuskirk

Also an Illinois marriage record for John VanBuskirk
VANBUSKIRK, JOHN MOVER, SUSANNAH E 1866-03-11 00E 0139 MC LEAN

Both Bloomington and Normal are in McLean County, Illinois.

Possibly Victoria VanBuskirk's mother died prior to 1880, and then her father remarried, taking the family to Texas.

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 9:46AM GMT
Thank you for this information. I have not had a chance to talk to my mom or aunt but Madeline M. Cornwell is my grandmother so at least this is more information to add to our search. I really appreciate all you effort to help me. There has been a lot of mystery concerning my grandmother and her family or past. She kept alot of secrets for some reason about her family. But Thank you for at least trying to help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic