Search for content in message boards

Hunter Families from New Castle, Delaware

Hunter Families from New Castle, Delaware

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 6:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
Anyone researching this family? Intermarried with the Wise family.

Re: Hunter Families from New Castle, Delaware

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 3:57PM GMT
Surnames: Hunter, Roswell?, DeWitt, Montgomery, Stewart, Nuthill, Gray, Caldwell
My EDWARD HUNTER family lived in New Castle Co. DE, during the pre-Revolutionary War period. This family is NOT, however, the Edward Hunter family who eventually produced LDS Bishop Edward Hunter. They are two separate, unrelated families. {Just sayin'...}

Father: Edward Hunter, b. 1731 Scotland; d. Jan. 1801 Huntingdon Co., PA

Mother: Sarah [maiden name unknown; possibly ROSWELL], b. ?; d. 1826 Huntingdon Co., PA

Children:

John [1755-1835]; married Mary DeWITT;

David [1757-1760-1840's]; married Catherine GRAY;

Jane [1762?-1831]; married David CALDWELL;

James [1764-1814]; married Margaret MONTGOMERY;

Margaret [1767?-1835-1840]; married firstly, David STEWART; secondly, Mathias NUTHILL; and

Sarah [1770-1859]; married John GRAY.

The two GRAY families are, I believe, unrelated.

As far as I know, I don't find a WISE connection among my family. However, I thought I would post these names on the chance that you may encounter them in your research.

Madehlinne

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 9:48PM GMT
Surnames: Hunter, Dixon, Cooper, Wise
Hello Madehlinne,and thanks for the reply. Yes I do know the frustration of having so many William Hunters, most of which married Eliza's I've noticed. Your "New Castle Hunters" are new to me, but I've generated a stand alone Family in RootsMagic, so, who knows, I may circle back to them one of these days. Question: where did they worship in New Castle? My Hunters were early Methodists from the church on Delaware Street, most of them are buried there. Families branched out into Chester county (which was larger in those days)and to Cecil County, MD. I've attached a 3 gen narrative (with sources) and I hope it may prove helpful. In the event that ancestry.com gets a bit picky about sending on attachments, you could drop me a line at odensue6544@yahoo.com. Kurt

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 10:45PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jan 2013 10:45PM GMT
Kurt--

My ancestors were Presbyterians. They worshipped at what was White [now Red] Clay Creek Presbyterian Church in the former Mill Creek Hundred. They were part of Rev. MacKinnon's congregation, even after they moved to near Shippensburg, PA, or at least for a time.

They basically moved to avoid the British invasion of DE in 1777. {Seems that didn't do a lot of good because Edward and all 4 of his sons ended up serving in the Revolutionary War.}

I don't see any sign of your attachment, so watch for an e-mail! ;)

Have a Great Friday!

Madehlinne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions