Search for content in message boards

The Flewellin family of Gurteen, Castlecomer, Kilkenny, Ireland

The Flewellin family of Gurteen, Castlecomer, Kilkenny, Ireland

Posted: 21 Sep 2012 12:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Flewellin, Fluellin, Fluellyn, Flewellen, Flewellan
I am keen to find out the origins of the family of Thomas Flewellin (various spellings) who lived in Gurteen, Castlecomer Parish. Thomas is recorded in Castlecomer tithe applotment records in 1823. He was a tenant farmer and leased land from the Wandesforde family. Thomas married Elizabeth Wilson at Castlecomer in 1826 and their children were baptised in the Church of Ireland, Castlecomer. If anyone knows anything about where the Flewellins originally came from I would be very grateful.

Re: The Flewellin family of Gurteen, Castlecomer, Kilkenny, Ireland

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 2:56PM GMT
The majority of Church of Ireland residents of Ireland were originally from England, coming to Ireland to farm after
the Cromwell invasion (1600). Land was given to aristocratic families and 'plantations' of Scot and English farmers started arriving soon after. Some of these Earls, Lords, etc. would even bring from their own estates in England.

There is very little in Irelnd for this family in the form of census or census substitutes. The Tithe's of the 1820-30's are the earliest source and then the Griffith Valuation.

The spelling Flewellin was used in the Griffith Valuation
of 1849. The resource I use will bring up variations in spellings as well.

You probably have these. 8 surnames of Flewellin, living on the Wandesford Est. as mentioned, these are the only Flewellin's in Ireland during the Griffith Valuation.

Few other sources mentioned.

Philmore & Thrift Index to Irish Wills 1536-1858
Anastace Flewellin, Limerick
Hannah Flewellin, Waterford & Lismore

1911 Irish Census:

Catherine Ann Flewellen #42 Gorteen (Moneeroe) Kilkenny
Church of Ireland, farmer, widow, born Kilkenny
Margaret Miller 49, sister, born Kilkenny
These are the only Flewellen's in all of Ireland in 1911.
(this maybe a matter of spelling)
www.census.nationalarchives.ie

1894 Directory has a James Flewellin in Carlow Town, Carlow but although I went over it twice I could find the reference.

The program I use does variations on names but none of the other spellings came up.

Search of England:

11 in the 1841, 25 in 1861, 21 in 1871 UK Cencus

A Somerset Election Registry

Charles I Chancery Index (Court) 1625-1649

Flewellin vs. Cooper (no details)

Some marriages Dorset, Surrey, London & Middlesex.

I tried the Irish telephone book (its spelling specific)

and only found 1 listing in Fermoy, Cork.

I can look up births between 1864-1875 in Ireland and CofI marriages 1845-1962 as I have them on CD at home.

www.familysearch.org will have birth, marriages and deaths from 1864

Prior to 1864 only Parish records in Ireland but Kilkenny belongs to a not for profit but fee paying Irish History
Foundation. Castlecomer St. Mary's has baptism records from 1799-1900, marriages 1808-1900 and deaths 1799-1900
Colliery-Castlecomer records start 1839-1900.

Another place to look for information would be perhaps the library in Kilkenny for Journals by a Heritage and Museum Society which may contain memorial inscriptions from gravestones. It is also possible that the Wandesford Estate records may be listed there. They may also have been
donated to the National Library in Dublin. You can look up records on their website but in person research would be
necessary.

The Church of Ireland parish registers to 1899 are held at the churches Representative Library in Dublin, personal research only. Their website will tell you what records
are available there.

Annette Code

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 3:32AM GMT
Church of Ireland marriages:

Marth Flewellen married William Wilson 18 Jun 1848 (no county)
Fa: James Flewellen Fa: Thomas Wilson LDS FHL Film #101297

Mary Flewellyn married William Delaney 1 Feb 1855, Castlecomer
Fa: John Flewellen Fa: Thos. Delany #101367

William Flewellyn marr. Sarah Reynar 23 June 1855, Castlecomer
Fa: John Flewellyn Fa: Thomas Reynar #101367

Mary Ann Fluellin marr: William Bradley 4 May 1861 Castlecomer Fa: James Fluellin Fa: John Bradley #101427

The numbers are the microfilm # from the Latter Day Saints.

Note the spellings and that this was a check of all Ireland Counties.
The following are the Civil Registration for births in Ireland 1864-1875:

Flewallen, Alice born 29 Nov 1868 #570 Drimoleague, Cork
Fa: John Flewallen Mo: Sarah Godfrey #101179
Elizabeth Fluellen born 18 Mar 1869 #581 Castlecomer
Fa: William Fluellen Mo: Sarah Reynard #101187
Martha Flewallen born 15 Jan 1870 #410 Milltown, Kerry
Fa: John Flewallen Mo: Sara Godfrey #101204
Sara Ellen born 11 Feb 1872, Milltown, Kerry
Fa: John Flewallen Mo: Sarah Godfrey #255847

Mary Jane Flewellen born 30 Mar 1872 Waterford, Waterford
Fa: John Flewellen Mo: Elizabeth Kavanagh #255854

The Civil Registration # will allow you to easily get a copy of a birth certificate, otherwise the two parents names do the same. General Registry Office, Dublin
www.groireland.ie

On the CD from England there are births from 1603 Staffordshire, England to 1839 Dorset, England

Marriages from 1578 Warwickshire to 1834 Gloucestershire

There are too many to give you the lists, if you have any names I could look them up. You should also be able to find these on www.freebmd.org.uk

Annette Code

Posted: 29 Oct 2012 12:10AM GMT
I don't think it will be possible to determine exactly where the Flewellin family came from as I don't believe there are any written records that can provide this information. The Wandesforde family brought a number of English Protestant families to their estate after 1650. In the book "Fassadinin" by William Nolan (I believe it's his Ph.D paper), he stated that about 1/4 of the land in Gorteen in 1812 was occupied by English families including Fluellin, Reynard, Bradley, Booth, Wilson and Stone. The general belief is these families were originally from the area of the Wandesforde estate in Kirklington, Yorkshire and possibly some families with mining experience came from the Richmond area. At that time, travel to Ireland from England would be considered much the same as travel from one state to another in the U.S.A.. I have never seen any records of this travel, but if they exist, they might be with the Wandesforde family papers collection in the Irish Archives. To offer another possiblity, Tom Lyng, in his book "Castlecomer Connections" writes the following, "..the name Fluellin (Llwyllen) is Walsh (sic) and not Yorkshire". I don't know if I buy that... but there it is. Hope this is some help.

Posted: 29 Oct 2012 7:52AM GMT
I think Flewellin is essentially a Welsh name. English families arrived on the Castlecomer plateau in at least two ways - firstly with the Wandesfordes, but also after the uprising of 1798 families were uprooted from Wexford - many of these families went on to emigrate on mass to Canada.
Wexford has very close links with Wales, which is essentially a country built on coal mining.
Interestingly though there are Flewellin records on ancestry going back to the 1600s in Yorkshire.
Kirklington (original home of the Wandesfords) records can also be trawled on ancestry - going back to the 1500s and beyond.

Posted: 8 Nov 2012 9:51PM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Surnames: Flewellin
Many thanks for your reply to my post. My husband's family had always thought the surname to be of Welsh origin, and that the Flewellins moved from the Welsh coalfields to the Castlecomer area. However the Yorkshire link seems very likely, given that there are so many Flewellin records there. My husband's great great grandfather Thomas Flewellin certainly leased land from the Wandesforde family and other also Flewellins (various spellings)appear in the Griffiths records. Thanks for your suggestions.

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 7:05PM GMT
Surnames: Fluellin, Reynar
I am a great great granddaughter of William Flewellyn (Fluellin) and Sarah Reynar (Reynard/Raynor) and our family records show that William was a farmer in 1866, later a manager in the anthracite mine. His son, William George Fluellyn (later Llewellyn) was a timekeeper in the same mine and he and his family immigrated to Canada in 1902. And yes, the family records also show they are all descended from Fluellyn's (or Flue Ellin in 1799 according to Parish of Castlecomer register) who in Cromwell's time were sent from England to manage the anthracite mines at the takeover of Ireland. Perhaps William may have been related to your Thomas?

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 7:36PM GMT
Marriages;
---
1855;
Mary Flewellyn-Wiliam Delany
2nd; Joseph Fennell
3rd; Isaac Wilson
--
1855;
William Flewellyn-Sarah Reynar
--
1861;
Mary Ann Fluellin-William Bradley
2nd; William Nicholson
-----
Birth-1948;
Joan D F Llewellyn
Mother; (surname) Drayton
=====================
Jack

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 11:45PM GMT
Edited: 31 Jan 2013 10:37PM GMT
Thanks for your response to my query. It does seem very likely that there is a connection with our Thomas who was born in about 1799. I haven't found a baptism record for him yet but will search with the Flue Ellin name which may give a result. It seems that the family might have come from Yorkshire. Thomas Flewellin married Elizabeth Wilson at Castlecomer on May 07, 1826. I have found the baptisms of all their children and Thomas's burial record. Thomas and Elizabeth's 7th child, Samuel Flewellen, was my husband's great grandfather. He joined the Irish Constabulary and later emigrated with his wife (Susannah Brown) and small son to New Zealand in 1880.

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 2:00AM GMT
Edited: 31 Jan 2013 10:39PM GMT
Thank you Jack. The previous reply to my post (dslang159) relates to one of the marriages you mention.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions