Search for content in message boards

Surname "Sojat"

Surname "Sojat"

Andrea Anthony (View posts)
Posted: 3 Dec 2005 1:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sojat
I am researching my great grandfather John Shiock (b. 1873 d. 1959). He immigrated to the US from Austria in the early 1900s. His surname spelling was changed when he came to the US. We believe it was spelled "Sojat". He was married to Anna (Johanna) Mikula (b. 1882 d.1942). John came first then Anna followed with son Steve (b. 1900). John had a brother Mark already in Pittsburgh, PA. Anna had 3 brothers and 1 sister here, also in Pittsburgh (Stanley, Joseph, Frank, and Julia). I do not know what village they came from in Austria. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Surname "Sojat"

Posted: 3 Dec 2005 11:20PM GMT
The original name could have been Sajak, Sajok, Sijak, Sojak, or similar. What is your evidence for an original spelling of Sojat?

Your ancestors may have hailed from Galicia which was a crownland of the Austrian Empire, but today is partly in Poland, partly in Ukraine. The name Stanley suggest the original form Stanislaw. A quick check of the name Mikula shows that many were Ruthenians (Rusnaks).

Have you looked closely through the Mikulas that came through Ellis Island?

Posted: 4 Dec 2005 4:20AM GMT
My Great Aunt, daughter of John and Anna, told me that is how it was spelled. It was changed to Shiock when they came to the US. She also told me her mother used to tell her they lived near the Danube River and she used to walk to his work on the river to take him lunch. I have searched the Mikula's but did not see the names of Anna's brothers.

Posted: 4 Dec 2005 11:04PM GMT
They probably arrived under their Hungarian, Slovak or Polish first names. Stanley could have been Stanislaw, Frank would have been Franz or Ferencz or the Polish or Slovak version of the name, Julia could also have been Julianna. Joseph has also alternative forms.

If they lived at the Danube, this would point to old Hungary. This is also a possibility.

Posted: 5 Dec 2005 2:02AM GMT
Andrea,

First of all NO names were changed at Ellis Is nor any other point of immigraiton... so there is a good chance you can find your GF.

SOJAT found in Ellis Is records are mostly from Croatia near the area of Kriviput.

What makes you believe the name was originally spelled SOJAT?

What language did your grandparents speak?

MIKULA is mostly Polish or Slovak... however the name also appears in Croatia.

And... the village they came from is most likely not in present day Austria. Prior to the end of WW I Austria was part of the Habsburg Empire aka Austria-Hungary and inc. all or part of the modern countries of Aust., Hung, Poland, Czech, Slovakia, Russia, Ukraine, Romaina, Italy, Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia, Slovenia and Montenegro.

Robert Jerin
Croatian Heritage Museum
Cleveland Ohio

Posted: 5 Dec 2005 2:41AM GMT
Thanks for the info. I found my ggparents in the 1920 PA census. The spelling for this census is "Schiajat". The spelling for the 1930 census is "Sheach". The 1920 census shows the immigrated in 1900 & 1901 (ggm & son in 1901). The 1930 census says 1898 and 1899. I haven't found them yet in the 1910 census. They went to the Pittsburgh area first to work in the steel mills, then to Walston PA to work in the coal mines.

The 1920 census lists my ggf from Croatia and speaking Croatian. My ggm is listed from Austria speaking Slovak. After the word Croatia there is the number 0-08 and after the son there is Austria 0-02. Do you know what that would mean?

Andrea

Posted: 5 Dec 2005 3:05PM GMT
Edited: 30 Nov 2006 7:19AM GMT
It is a great question, because it is not possible to close out the spelling mistake. The true is, that it could be a lot of variations. One of them the simpliest: not Sojat, but Saját, becouse the Hungarian voice a is written usually in English like o. And.... there are Saját in the phonebook of Hungary, near the all in county Nógrád, where are a lot of Slavic (Slovak) origined people. In the E.I. is a Mátyás Saját (written Sajat, and Matyas, but he probable came to the US not the first time (from Bresbee)
Also came a Stiepan (must be Stepan)Sajat from the misterious Lice, Austria..........
Lajos

Posted: 6 Dec 2005 1:44AM GMT
Correct Matyas had been in the US from 1907-1910, as indicated on the ship manifest.

Ah yes... Croatians immigrating through French Ports... it is always interesting... I have seen many small errors for instance I have found several Croatians leaving via French Ports with the name ending spelling IZ instead of IC.

Stiepan's former residence was not doubt Lic', where SOJAT is still found. As well looking at the original manifest of Stiepan shows the spelling to be SOJAT not SAJAT as transcribers saw it. Also he would have been too old based on this poster's info.

But SAJATOVIC is found in Zumberak region.

Robert

Posted: 6 Dec 2005 3:07AM GMT
Are you talking about the columns marked "CODE For office use only. Do not write in these columns."? If so they are of no use... they may have been done years later in an attempt to determine the number of people coming from different countries. So they mean nothing to your search.

However you may find the birthplace of your Steve, as it appears he had a Social Security Card... if you search the SSDI you will find his info (Puxantany PA?)... you may write to the SS Admin and purchase a copy of his application which will have his birthplace... and in most cases it includes the town or village.

Robert

Posted: 6 Dec 2005 4:04AM GMT
The numbers are under the column "place of birth" and written like this "Croatia 0-8" for John and "Austria 0-2" for Steve.

Yes, Steve is from Punxsy. I didn't think to request his SS#. I will send for it. I did send for my ggf's. I don't know if he had one or not. He was naturalized around 1918, so I assumed he did.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions