Search for content in message boards

474th Infantry US. Army WW2...Anyone who had a relative in North Africa, Italy??

474th Infantry US. Army WW2...Anyone who had a relative in North Africa, Italy??

Posted: 13 Nov 2011 7:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Delaney from Massachusetts.
Just wondering...

474th Infantry Division New
jamesdelaney0116
Surnames: Delaney
My father was part of General Brady's invasion force onto the beaches of Anzio, Italy. He was an Intell Officer of the 1st US / Canadian Special Service Forces...later known as the "Dirty Dozen" or Black Devils Brig. They were held up on those Anzio Beaches forever because of the German Big guns raining bombs down from the hills surrounding. The US "Rangers" were totally wiped-out and "Merged" into the 1st US. Special Forces organization...the FIRST SPECIAL FORCES mission were to secretly go out EVERY night as small groups of 3-5 soldiers AND bring back German Soldiers ALIVE every morning to get Intell. They were ISSUED 18 inch Daggers, "to be used "Silently" in "Hand-to-hand fighting'...so the "enemy" were not awaken...(I have PHOTOS of Mounty Christo (the Mounstery had by the Germans-and finally Bombed after 30 days..of waiting) Then it was onto ROME... I'm Creating a Webpage on this Invasion Force of General Bradleys Command of the 474th Inf Divison and the US Rangers and the 1st US Special Forces ...[this was the GROUP that later became the "GREEN BERETS" of Vietnam]...stationed at Ft Bragg...USA. I would appreciate any photos to COMPLETE the "Whole Picture" of our US FORCES on Anzio, Italy...HAVE a BOOK with listed MEMBERS of 1st Special Forces AND ITALY Campaigne complete with photos of that SMALL GROUP. Thank-you Patricia Ratcliff, Peace...Jim Delaney (son of James Philip Delaney-1st US.SPECIAL FORCES of Anzio, Italy.)

Re: 474th Infantry US. Army WW2...Anyone who had a relative in North Africa, Italy??

Posted: 12 Jul 2012 5:30PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jul 2012 10:37PM GMT
Surnames: Morris
I am researching my Great Uncle Francis Joseph Morris. He started with the 4th Ranger Battalion, Company C in North Africa, transferred to the First Special Service Force after the fiasco at Cisterna, Italy, then ended up in the 474th Infantry Regiment (separate) in January 1945 after the FSSF was dissolved. Do you know anything about the specific movements of the 474th in Germany? I know they were doing rear area security for the 3rd Army, and part of that included hunting down SS who were fleeing from the Allied forces after concentration camps like Dachau were liberated. It is just overwhelming to think about what these guys went through! (update: if anything it would have been Buchenwald, not Dachau because Weimar was in the 3rd Army's area of operations).

Re: 474th Infantry US. Army WW2...Anyone who had a relative in North Africa, Italy??

Posted: 6 Oct 2012 9:52PM GMT
I just had the Honor to attend parts of the Force's Annual Reunion here in DC. It is a very active organization and you should be very proud to have a claim to membership.

Please check out their site:

http://www.firstspecialserviceforce.net/

Posted: 9 Jan 2014 12:54PM GMT
Hi Holly,
My Dad was 4th Bn Co A and the FSSF 1-1
our facebook group has info on all including 474th
declassified files, photos and more

https://www.facebook.com/groups/294642590651711/

Jim Smith...................... jimborat2@aol.com
Rangers Lead The Way

Posted: 9 Jan 2014 4:13PM GMT
Surnames: Morris
Thank you for the information. I was doing research on my Great Uncle Francis Joseph Morris who was 4th Ranger Battalion, FSSF 2-2, and 474th Infantry Regiment. I prepared a biography and registered the copyright. I have no desire to sell my work, but I wanted to protect over a year's worth of research. I'm no longer on Facebook so I can't look at the material that you mentioned. I wouldn't mind sharing Frank's biography with people who are interested. Just send me a private message on ancestry.com with your e-mail address.

Posted: 9 Jan 2014 5:02PM GMT
sent

Posted: 14 Jun 2014 12:08AM GMT
My husband's father was a member of the FSSF and the 474th also. We are looking for anyone who may have known him, as he never spoke of being in either unit. Clinton M. Drowne was listed in the book by Lt. Col. Robert D. Burhans, The First Special Service Force; so we know for sure that he was in that unit and his separation papers from the Army state he was in the 474th.

We've had a couple of phone calls from some vets that were in the 474th, but didn't leave a phone number, so we can't call them back. One in particular is a Eugene _____ (someone). We couldn't understand his last name. How can we find this gentleman.? He said he was in the FSSF and the 474th also.

Does the 474th have a roster of names of the guys in that infantry regiment?
We are also looking for any pictures of either of these units to see if we can find Clinton in them. We are looking into going to the 68th FSSF reunion to be held in Helena, MT in August.
Thanks for any information you can send our way.
Brenda and Dan Drowne

Re: 474th Infantry US. Army WW 2...Anyone who had a relative in Italy??

Posted: 8 Jul 2014 7:56PM GMT
"Mounty Christo" = Monte Cassino. The Abby atop Monastery Hill was NOT occupied by German Forces until AFTER the February 1944 bombing.

Richard V. Horrell
WW 2 Connections
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions