Search for content in message boards

Sugrue/Shugrue-Dingle

Hoar/Connor

Posted: 12 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Aug 2001 3:44AM GMT
Surnames: Hoar, Connor, Quirk, Roche, Kennedy
My Great Great Grandfather was Michael Hoar who married to Bridget Connors. Their son, also Michael (1846-1919) was my g-grandfather. He seems to have been born in Castlegregory. Michael (Jr.) married Ellen Quirk and their children were born in Annascaul between 1881 and 1898. By 1906 the family had moved to Haverhill, Massachusetts.

Sugrue/Shugrue-Dingle

Posted: 12 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jan 2002 12:37AM GMT
Surnames: Sugrue, Shugrue, Flaherty, Connor, Hoar
Michael Shughrue born in Co. Kerry married in Annascaul on 17 Feb. 1863 Bridget Connor the dau. of Ed Connor and Catherine Hoar. On marriage certificate "now of Clash" believed to be pertaining to the Connors.
This Shugrue family lived near the Catholic Church in Annascaul and Michael died late 1870's it is believed but we could not find a record of this. They may have moved prior to his death. Children one by one and widow Bridget came to USA and settled Holyoke, Mass.
The other set of Sugrue's were James Sugrue son of James and Mary Flynn. James married to Catherine Flaherty in Castlegregory Ire. Feb. 5, 1856; the sponsors were John Flaherty and James Sugrue.
It is believed that Catherine Flaherty Sugrue died in Ireland. In the late 1890's the widower James and children came to the USA and also settled in Holyoke, Mass. to work in the mills.
This Sugrue family from Castlegregory was a large family and left relatives in and around Castlegregory who were still living there in the 1911 census.
Please contact me if you might have a connection.
Susan

Quirk / Kennedy

Posted: 17 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Quiek, Kennedy, Hoar, Roche
Dear Walter,
It appears that our families are connected. Ellen Quirk Hoar was my g
grandmother. She, by the way, was born September 30, 1859 & died on
June 19, 1941 in Haverhill, Massachusetts. I do have a Bridget Quirk
who married Thomas Kennedy. Did they go to Springfield or Holyoke? Some
of the family also went to the Chicago area.
The only information I have on Bridget & Thomas is that they had a son,
Con. Con married Mary Deane and they had 9 children: Thomas (m. Bessie
Good & had 1 son Arthur), Claire, John, Mary (m. Jese Canty & had 2
daughters Loretta & Claire), Michael (m. Hannah Kennedy & had 2 children
Mary & Dr. Paddy d. 1976 in Ireland), Nora (d. 1944), Kate, Margaret (d.
1974 Springfield, MA) & Paddy.
I would love to hear more from you.
Regards, JoAnn

Quirk/Kennedy

Walter Kennedy (View posts)
Posted: 17 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Kennedy
I have part of a genealogiclal search concerning the Kennedys from Annascaul and nearby that contains information on Michael Quirk(Emlough) and Hanora Kennedy(Coumduff)
According to this search their children were Ellen m Michael Hoar,Mary m Doyle,Patrick,Thomas,John,Michael m Bridget?,Margaret,Bridget m Thomas Kennedy(my ggfather),William m Christine Nugent,Nellie m Shea from Ballinclare,Jane m Greany,Kate m Moriarty,and Margaret(second Margaret??) m Farrell.Incidentally,the oldest grandchild of Bridget and Thomas was Patrick,b 1886,who had a long career on the Springfield police force.He died @1978.I think his wife was Josie Sullivan.
But the dates are off.By my calculations my ggrandmother Bridget would have been born @1830,since the oldest child Michael was b.in 1853,yet your info is that her younger sister Ellen was b.in 1858.

Quirk/Kennedy

Posted: 18 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: QUIRK, KENNEDY, ROCHE, HOAR
Dear Walter,

Unfortunately, the only birthdate I have for this family is that of my g grandmother, Ellen. I never knew Ellen as she died before I was born. The only things I know about her family is the names of her siblings and that some went to Holyoke / Springfield area and others went to Chicago. Jamie Quirk, the ball player is related to us through that part of the family.

Most of this information came from Mary Kennedy Hartnett in Ireland. Mary is the grand daughter of Con Kennedy. She lived in Annascaul and ran the family's business. The Corner House is an inn/pub. Today Mary is quite ill in a hospital and one of her children runs the business. Mary had a brother, Dr. Paddy Kennedy who was a doctor in the Irish army at Galway. He was the most interesting person to talk to - he had to have been the world's greatest story teller. Unfortunately, Dr. Paddy passed away in 1976.
Regards, JoAnn

Quirk/Kennedy

Posted: 18 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Kennedy
Dear JoAnn:

We are talking about the same family.Thomas Kennedy and Bridget had a son Con who married Mary Dean.They also had two other sons,Michael( my grandfather)and David.They had a daughter Mary who married an O'Flaherty and lived in Holyoke. I know

Michael was baptised January 8,1854.His mother,Bridget, must have been born in 1836 or 37 at the latest.More likely she was born earlier,@1832.Could her sister Ellen really be 21 to 26 years older?Do you have birthdates for any of the other children of Michael and Hanora?

Kennedy

Brian Morrison (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Kennedy, Cleary, Lenihan
Walter, I have a Thomas Kennedy from Kerrry. He was the great uncle of my grandmother Mary T. Lenihan b1902in Brandon who emigrated to Holyoke about 1920. She had an aunt Mary Cleary b1878 who came over about 1906 and stayed with her uncle Thomas Kennedy. Mary C married Thomas? Fitzgerald, Mary L. (Mollie) married Eugene P. O'Brien and moved to Pittsfield, Ma about 1924. Could there be a link here? The names in your messages to Joann were familiar. Brian

Kennedy

Brian morrison (View posts)
Posted: 21 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Kennedy, Cleary, Lenihan
Walter, Thanks for responding and sharing your information. I'll continue to dig around and find those elusive ancestors. Your right that litany of names does like Bing Crosby's song. Be grateful the tree has many branches. Thanks again, Brian

Quirk/Kennedy

Posted: 21 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Kennedy, Cleary
Brian,I don't think its the same Thomas Kennedy.The person I am referring to married Bridget Quirk in the early 1850s in Annascaul parish.I calculated this date from a baptismal record I found for his son Michael,my grandfather,dated January 8,1854.This would mean that the father,Thomas ,was probably born before 1834.He was never in the US.
I have a copy of a search that was done in 1985 on the Quirk/Hoar/Kennedy families.The is no mention of the Lenihan or Cleary families in that search.I have Hartnetts Doyles,Sheas,Greanys,McKennas,Currans,Griffins,Mahers,McGuires,Cantys,OLearys,Sweeneys,Brosnan,Garveys,Brown and,of course, Moriartys.Its starting to sound like that old Bing Crosby song.

Walter

Re: Sugrue/Shugrue-Dingle

Posted: 25 Aug 2001 3:48AM GMT
Edited: 25 Aug 2001 4:43PM GMT
Try this Co. Kerry Web site (www.rootsweb.com/~irlker/index.html)

A lot of information about the name Sugrue/Shugrue. Be sure to try both spellings.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions