Search for content in message boards

inishbofin+cloherty

inishbofin+cloherty

barbara cloherty kaplowe (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: cloherty, burke, sweeney, concannon, folan
Searching for Cloherty, Christopher (Festus) from Inishbofin. Can anyone tell me what the proper county is???Some records say Inishbofin is Galway, some Mayo - and some Donegal? It is off the coast of connemara - reached through ferry from Clifden. Would appreciate proper county to aid my search. thanks.

inishbofin

barbara cloherty kaplowe (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: cloherty, burke, concannon, sweeney
How wonderful. Thank you for the christening date for my grandfather. I have very few dates. This is what I have:
My father was Christy Cloherty - b Inishbofin 1-10-1910 d: USA 1983. He had 6 siblings (Bridget Katherine, Nora Mollly, John and Thady) My father's father was Festus - who I have found joined the Royal Dublin Fusilliers and died 3-29-1918 in France age 47 (so the date you gave me is right on target) Festus was the son of Mary Sweeney and Thady Cloherty (have no dates) His mother: Anne Burke was daughter of John Burke and Bridget Concannon. Festus had brother Martin and 2 sisters. Anne had siblings( William, John, Michael, Patrick, Peter, Margaret, Celia, Bridget and James). Any info is very much appreciated! Thank you. barbara

inishbofin

Bob McDonough (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: cloherty
Dear Barbara

There are two inishbofin in ireland, one in galway and one in donegal. My gp came from galway inishbofin and I have census records for 1901 and 1911 plus church records from 1867 to 1898 the burke and concannon names are still on thr island today. I have been there 3 times and could assist you more if you had dates.
Bob McDonough
ps there was a festus cloherty baptized on 1/27/1870, fathers name thady and mothers name mary sweeney looks good

Inishbofin

Posted: 2 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 13 Mar 2003 3:28AM GMT
Surnames: D'Coursey
My g-grandmother Alice D'Coursey; was born on inishark galway, her nearest neighbors were from inishbofin, galway. I still have relative living on the island and have visited there..
Posted: 9 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 14 Jan 2004 2:09AM GMT
wm burke was my g-grandfather any info will be appreciated

Re: Inishbofin

Posted: 25 Nov 2003 5:36PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jan 2004 6:50PM GMT
By any chance would you be connected to any Kenan/Keenans?
I recently found that a John McDonough's mother was a Kenan/Keenan.
This family later emmegrated to Penn., USA.
Other names in this line are Hennigan/Henechan, Preston, Harkins.
Thanks

Re: inishbofin

Posted: 25 Nov 2003 5:41PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jan 2004 6:50PM GMT
By any chance would you have any Keenan/Kenans in your line?
Is there a John McDonough whose mother was a Keenan/Kenan?
Anne Keenan is believed to have been born in inishbofin.
Date-unknown.
Thanks

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 12:10AM GMT
Surnames: Burke, Concannon, Cloherty and Halloran
Hi, My name is Tommy Burke. I'm from Inishbofin. My Grand-parents names. Burke, Concannon, Cloherty and Halloran. If anyone is interested in linking up family name etc. Please post. Tommy.

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 12:14AM GMT
Hi, do you know the name of any of Thady's siblings. This is Festus father Thady. Tommy

Re: Inishbofin

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 12:19AM GMT
Keenan is not a Bofin name. Cunnane is however. I've seen it pronounced and spelled a few different ways.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic