Search for content in message boards

Level Grove Church, Holly Springs area

Level Grove Church, Holly Springs area

Posted: 3 Mar 2005 11:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for information about Level Grove Church, a church in the Holly Springs/Fuquay area which is no longer in existence. Does anyone know where the church was and what happened to it? Does the cemetery remain?

Re: Level Grove Church, Holly Springs area

Posted: 15 Mar 2005 8:58PM GMT
Elizabeth - if you can determine where the church was and if the cemetery remains, I'm happy to take pics for you. I live in Holly Springs but I'm not familiar with the church. I'll ask around.

Carla Stancil Townsend

Elizabeth Moye (View posts)
Posted: 16 Mar 2005 1:56AM GMT
Thanks. Some other good cemetery researchers are on the look-out too but have not located the church. Two "old-timers" from the Fuquay area remember hearing the name, think the church burned, but cannot remember where it was. I'm hoping someone will recognize the name.

Posted: 20 Mar 2005 8:45PM GMT
Elizabeth -

Are you positive of the name? And do you know which demonination it was? Was it an African-American congregatation? You could check with the home office of that demonination - sometimes they have records.

Carla Stancil Townsend
Holly Springs, NC

Elizabeth Moye (View posts)
Posted: 21 Mar 2005 12:59AM GMT
The name of the church is on a 1925 death certificate and two of my older relatives remember hearing about this church in the late 1920's. I don't know the denomination and my relatives think that the church burned. However, the cemetery may have remained. It is not an African-American church to my knowledge.

Posted: 22 Nov 2011 3:25AM GMT
I know this is an older posting and you have probably found it by now, but if not....I DO know where the church used to be, and where the cemetery still is. Contact me at 919.943.7823 or email me back at bethea75@hotmail.com. My great great grandfather and grandmother are buried there. Take care!
Paul Bethea Smith

Posted: 14 Aug 2013 4:32AM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Surnames: Page
This is also a late post but I would be interested in the Level Grove Church and cemetery location. I'm looking into the Page family in Wake County in the 1920s. The writing is not too good but I think it says Level Grove on two death certificates I found in my research.

Posted: 15 Aug 2013 1:00PM GMT
The church used to be at the corner of Stephenson Rd. and Sunset Lake Rd., in what was then called Holly Springs Town, some of the cemetery is still there. I located the church's location by finding an online Wake County Soil Survey map from 1914, then overlaying it on a current map. On the 1914 map you can see a little cross and Level Grove Church. My Great Great Great Grandfather William Smith is buried there, the tombstone is broken and I'm hoping to fix it soon. The others on this message board never contacted me, so I guess they haven't seen my replies, but you can reach me at 919-943-7823, or email me at bethea75@hotmail.com

Posted: 16 Aug 2013 4:57AM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Surnames: Page
Thanks so much for the reply. After much looking on the internet, I did find a little history on the church and that it had burned but the cemetery is still there. I did find lat and long of the site which really doesn't help me but it did have an arrow at Stephenson and Sunset Lake Rds. I take Sunset Lake Rd on the back way from Cary, NC to Fuquay-Varina so I sort of know where it is. Instead of turning left when I get there, I think I would turn right. Since the weather is a little cooler and drier now, I may try to find it this weekend. I see your name includes bethea. I'm related to Betheas way back from Marion, SC. Thanks again for the information.

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 10:15PM GMT
You know what, now that I think of it, you were looking for a Page! There is an Annie Page buried there born 1882 died 1920, BUT I believe the W.E. Smith I was talking about was married to a Millie Page who is buried beside him, and I've heard that he married her after her sister Margaret Page died, but I'm still searching those facts.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic