Search for content in message boards

Where is Druid Hill?

Where is Druid Hill?

Posted: 16 Jul 2013 9:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
"The News" (Frederick, MD) carried a regular column "County Correspondence" in the 1890s. One of the regular reports came from Druid Hill, Va. Where was Druid Hill? There were reports of goings on at New Jerusalem Church, and Tankerville, and from the names that appear, I'm guessing it would be in the vicinity of Taylorstown.

Thanks,
John

Re: Where is Druid Hill?

Posted: 17 Jul 2013 11:57AM GMT
Edited: 17 Jul 2013 12:36PM GMT
No mention of any Druid Hill in either "Guide to Loudoun County" or the "Loudoun Discovered" series by Eugene Scheel.

Could you post more complete information from that article? I have abstracted The Mirror and The Telephone newspapers in Loudoun from that time period and did not abstract any reference to a Druid Hill. I might be able to match up the information from those two papers if I knew the date of the reference and what the article actually said.

Is there a particular person you are interested in that relates to that Druid Hill reference?

Pat Duncan
GenNutLdn@msn.com

Posted: 17 Jul 2013 1:39PM GMT
Are you sure it said VA? You probably already know this, but there is a Druid Hill in Baltimore, MD
Frederick is about 45 miles from Druid Hill

Posted: 17 Jul 2013 4:07PM GMT
From "The News" (Frederick, MD); "County Correspondence" column:

28 Feb 1893, p3
DRUID HILL, VA.--FEB. 27. Several paragraphs describe an invasion of the New Jerusalem Lutheran Church parsonage "near this place," by ladies of the congregation. They prepared a meal for 120 in honor of their pastor Rev. McLinn. Later, the article includes this death notice (which is the person of interest): "Mrs. Margaret Heater, who has been failing for some time, passed quietly away on Wednesday last. The deceased was in her 86th year." (The Heater place was on the east side of Catoctin Mt., southeast of Taylorstown.)

13 Sep 1893
DRUID HILL, VA.--SEPT. 12. Mr. Joseph Shafer's house burned down on Sep. 2. Mr. E.A. Paxson & Mrs. Sallie Paxson and others headed for the World's Fair. Tankerville picnic was held last Sat.

15 Nov 1893
DRUID HILL, VA.--NOV. 14. Mentions Rev. M.E. McLinn and "his pulpit at Tankersville;" he commenced a series of meetings at "Shinar." Mentions Mrs. J.C. Rust, and W.L. Slater who shot a hawk with a wingspan of 4'2".

13 Dec 1893, p3
DRUID HILL, VA.--DEC. 12. Mentions "Lutheran Church near here." Nuptials of Mr. Chas. A. Fraley & Miss Lillie Fry at bride's res., home of Mr. Daniel Fry.

4 May 1895, p3
DRUID HILL, VA.--APRIL 30. Mrs. John Baker d. last Sun. night; bur. Reformed Cemetery Tuesday. "Mr. Samuel Snoots, living near here, who has been pressed down with the infirmities of old age for several years, went to sleep on last Wednesday and at this writing is still asleep."

I never heard of "Druid Hill" and was wondering if anyone knew exactly where it was.

Am researching Margaret E. "Peggy" Myers, b. 10 May 1807 in Loudoun; d. 22 Feb 1893. She had an illegitimate child with William Fry, who I believe was Samuel W. Myers (Hutchison, Apprentices, Bastards, and Poor Children of Loudoun Co VA 1757-1850). She had a child, unknown father, John H. Myers, who went west to Preston Co., WV with Spring and Stream cousins; died there 09 May 1918. Preston Co. death registers show father: "----" mother's maiden name: "Peggy Myers." Had five children with John Heater, apparently they never married.

Compare the above death notice from Druid Hill, Va. in the Frederick paper with your abstract from the Brunswick Herald (p 154; Friday, March 3 1893, vol. III, No. 1): "Taylorstown: Owing to the absence of Rev. McLinn, the funeral of Miss Peggy HEATER, which took place at the M.E. Church near here on the 24th ultimo, was not preached."

The "Miss" and a burial "not preached" seem a deliberate affront to me. No doubt it would have been rather horrifying for a burial to take place in 1893 without a preacher present. I presume Rev. McLinn's failure to attend the funeral reflected the community's distaste for Peggy's non-traditional style of parenting.

Thanks,
John Freed

Posted: 17 Jul 2013 6:18PM GMT
I have never heard mention of Druid Hill in Loudoun. The newspaper articles listing Druid Hill Virginia are listed under County Correspondence – current events in county towns. The other subheadings appear to be places in Maryland, such as Rockville.

The name on the marriage should have been Fawley, not Fraley. Charles A. FAWLEY [not FRALEY] married Lillie FRY on 13 Dec 1893 at D. J. H. Fry’s residence by M. E. McLinn.

Here is the original entry from the Minute Book on the bastard child.
Minute Book 1832-1833, 11 Feb 1833
[p. 340] Overseers of the poor vs Wm. FRYE – upon a recognizance for bastardy – the Deft appeared agreeably to his recognizance and on hearing it is ordered that said FRYE enter into bond for the support of a male child begotten by him upon Margaret MYERS at the rate of twenty dollars a year for the term of four years and six months to be paid quarterly the 1st quarter to be paid on the 11th May 1833 and thereupon the said William FRYE filed his schedule and took the oath of an insolvent debtor and is thereupon discharged from custody.

Pat Duncan
GenNutLdn@msn.com

Posted: 18 Jul 2013 5:09PM GMT
Google maps shows a "Druid Hill Road" in Fairfax County Virginia. It is just north of Vienna and west of Tyson's Corner.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions