Search for content in message boards

Migrating from Legacy Family Tree to FTM-Mac

Migrating from Legacy Family Tree to FTM-Mac

Posted: 4 Apr 2011 11:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Do guidelines exist for migrating from Legacy Family Tree to Family Tree Maker for Mac? Importing my standard gedcom file reports more errors than individuals. My Legacy databases are up to date; I can re-export with whatever settings would work best for FTM-Mac import - but don't yet know what those settings might be!

Thanks for any experience you might have,
Ed Barnard

Re: Migrating from Legacy Family Tree to FTM-Mac

Posted: 4 Apr 2011 11:55PM GMT
I don't know about the Mac, but in the Windows FTM2011 world, FTM can import a Legacy directly - no gedcom needed.

At the File > Open File in New tree > dialog box, click the little down arrow to see the various types of files that FTM will directly open.

Posted: 5 Apr 2011 12:01AM GMT
Thank you! I'll try that (from a fresh copy, can't ever be too careful).

Posted: 5 Apr 2011 12:14AM GMT
Nope, no "open file in new tree" option that I can find. For import, it says it can only import FTM or gedcom files.

Posted: 5 Apr 2011 2:15AM GMT
Well, we tried. Sorry 'bout that.

Maybe someone who's been down that path can help.

Posted: 5 Apr 2011 7:18AM GMT
Edward

I migrated from RootsMagic by gedcom. I can't say it caused any problems. I think there were just over 200 errors. The same gedcom imported into PAF produced six figures of errors. It is all related to the small differences in which each program handles gedcom data.The "errors" may or may not be significant or even real.

Tony

Posted: 9 Apr 2011 12:16PM GMT
Hi, Edward.

Want to try importing into FTM 2011 using the Legacy import, exporting to GEDCOM, then importing that GEDCOM into FTM Mac? I've got both versions and would be happy to try the experiment with you. Contact me if you're interested.

----Ben Sayer >@<
GenealogyTools.com

Posted: 9 Apr 2011 7:44PM GMT
Thank you Ben! I will eventually take you up on that. I'll be in contact :)

Posted: 9 Apr 2011 7:47PM GMT
Great! In fact, I'll try the (Windoows based) conversion app to go from FTM 2011 to FTMM 2010. That should help minimize data conversion weirdness.

Namaste,

----Ben >@<
GenealogyTools.com

Posted: 9 Apr 2011 9:44PM GMT
Ben

If you import the Legacy file into FTM2011, why do you not simply then convert the file into FTMM format via the Migration Tool. That way the images will go along.

Tony
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions