Search for content in message boards

Danville Military Institute

Danville Military Institute

Marilyn Symonds (View posts)
Posted: 10 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am seeking information about the Danville Military Institute, City of Danville, Pittsylvania County, especially its physical location and history. Thanks as always.

Re: Danville Military Institute

Posted: 1 Jun 2003 4:09PM GMT
The Danville Genealogy Society based at the Danville Public Libarary can tell you that information.

Symonds (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jun 2003 4:34PM GMT
Thank you very much. I'll contact the Danville Genealogical Society.
Marilyn Symonds

Posted: 26 Mar 2009 6:24PM GMT
I have a lot of information on DMI

Posted: 27 Mar 2009 10:45PM GMT
Are there any lists of students? Family oral history concerning a tintype of my Great-Grandfather in a uniform says that he attended VMI. As far as I can tell, he did not. Danville Military Institute would be a good guess as it would have been close to his home. Was it open in the 1870-1880s?

Thanks!

Posted: 28 Mar 2009 12:12AM GMT
The school operated for short time before the Civil War under the name of Danville Academy on Grove Street in Danville. Just before the Civil War the name was changed to Danville Military Institute. Because of the war all of the teachers and cadets went to war and it closed. After the Civil War in 1887 it was restated as the Danville Male Academy on Colquhoun Street in Danville. In 1890 it was renamed back to the Danville Military Institute in the building on South Main Street.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions