Search for content in message boards

magee family belfast 1850's

magee family belfast 1850's

maggie (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jun 2004 12:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: magee
hi looking for information on the magee family malcolm magee married to Anna in 1852 .two children recorded Anna and William .Malcolm died in 1853.his father was recorded as being Pat Magee a cabinet maker.any information would be greatly appreciated.Townsend Street area?

Re: magee family belfast 1850's

Hugh Macartney (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jun 2004 7:29PM GMT
Surnames: Magee
Just confirming that the 1843 Belfast Directory listed Patrick Magee, Cabinet maker at 69 Lodge Rd. Twenty two Magees are listed including a William who was a coach body maker at 2 Catherine St. Since the occupations are very similar they were possibly related.

maggie (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jun 2004 10:37PM GMT
thankyou for that information Pat magee was Malcolm Magee's father .Malcolm was a polisher when he married Anna Eid .i know he died in 1853 as i have located his grave but it would be nice to trace possible decendants of the family.Malcolm had two children a boy and a girl and i have just traced his wife and a remarriage and then the trail goes cold again.thanks once again.

brian (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jul 2004 8:03PM GMT
Am also researching Magee family in Belfast and would be interested in exchanging information. From my own research, I have found that Magee name in Belfast is one of the oldest Catholic names, with a lot of Patricks, Johns, Josephs and Hughs. There are also Protestant Magees , and the name has been changed to McGee and McKee.
Am having trouble confirming details of Hugh, son of John Magee and Ann? Hugh married Esther Agnew in 1890.
Any and all help would be appreciated.

Posted: 16 Sep 2009 9:00PM GMT
I am the great grandson of William MaGee of 18 Townsend Street. He married Margaret McKinley and they had two sons William Jr and Henry. My grandfather was Henry who married Margaret Scally. They emigrated to Massachusetts, USA. William Jr and his wife emigrated to New Jersey, USA.

Posted: 19 Sep 2009 9:54PM GMT
Hi Paul
do you have any dates for William like year of birth or date of entry to America .I have no idea as to what became of the William Magee i have in my tree prehaps if you do have some dates i can check out street directories to see how many Magees are listed Townsend street is where the William i have got christened in the church .
kind regards
maggie

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 9:38AM GMT
Surnames: magee
magee family lived in townsend st right up on till the seventies will ask my sister if she knows there where a bouts now web site divis street pound loney and lower falls lower falls is where townsend st was still there but no homes I'm a cousin but youngest off family i only new geeser

Posted: 16 Mar 2013 1:59PM GMT
my family lived in holmdene gardens belfast

Posted: 18 Sep 2013 4:23PM GMT
Surnames: magee wilson maxwell sheils mcconville fallen
Also researching Belfast Catholic Magees in same time period, some lower Falls and others on the Down side of Belfast. The names Ephraim (sometimes recorded as Abraham) and Charlotte seem to carry through.

Have purchased many bapt and marriage records trying to pin this family down. Happy to exchange any info I have in the hopes of tying these people together.

The only record I have for this generation with a definite connection to my family is a St Matthew's 1858 bapt cert for an Alice Magee, dau of Abraham Magee and Agnes Smyth, which shows my gf and gm as sponsors, John Sheils and Charlotte Maxwell. Charlotte's mother was Teresa Magee (m Thomas Maxwell).

There is another record which Teresa Maxwell as the sponsor at the 1857 St Patrick's bapt of a Teresa Magee, dau of (illegible) I____ Magee and Agnes Wilson. Found an Isaac Magee in Ballinderry and was wondering if that was what was illegible. Really perplexed about the biblical names for Catholics and suspect they were baptd with different forenames which may be why I'm having such a hard time locating records for them.

Feel this family is connected in some way to the 1851 Census Magee family in Lurgill, Ballinderry, which shows a SHARLET and two EPHRIMs.

Have found evidence of later generations connecting to the names McConville (Ballynafeigh) and Fallo(e)n (Lower Falls).

Happy to help with any questions or lookups, so please don't hesitate to ask. Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions