Search for content in message boards

DURHAM HISTORICAL SOCIETY

DURHAM HISTORICAL SOCIETY

Posted: 16 Jun 2011 3:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CARY, MERRILL, WARREN, STROUT
Interested in learning of any recent activities of this society.

Does this society have a board, and if so, are there regular elections for new officers?

Many thanks to the person who replied on June 8, 2011. I could not reply since Ancestry had my address wrong. It is now corrected.

Lisbon Falls is not in Androscoggin County and is in fact across the river from Durham. I believe that Durham material should be in Durham, Androscoggin County, and not in another county. Not to take away from the very admirable Society in Lisbon Falls. I have had contact with them. Thanks again.

Re: DURHAM HISTORICAL SOCIETY

Posted: 17 Jun 2011 2:15AM GMT
Lisbon Falls is in Androscoggin Co. I've lived here for forty years and we most definitely are in Androscoggin Co!! We have a very active Historical Society and we have info on Durham also.

Posted: 11 Aug 2011 4:27AM GMT
Lisbon Falls is in what is Androscoggin county today.
I live there. Who are you looking for?

Posted: 11 Aug 2011 12:35PM GMT
My ancestral names (some of the earliest settlers of Durham) are listed in the first query.

When does this Durham Historical Society meet? Have elections? What are their activities? Have been trying to ascertain this for several years, with no luck.

My mistake thinking Lisbon Falls (because it is across the river from Durham) was not in Androscoggin Co. My ancestors were mostly in Southwest Bend and Lisbon, being across the river, seemed so far away.

If you can answer questions on the Durham Historical Society, would be very glad to hear back from you.

Posted: 29 Jul 2012 8:30PM GMT
I haven't been to the boards in a while, so I just noticed this. Your welcome, I had hoped maybe the Lisbon historical folks could give you specific contact info for the Durham folks. Any contact info would be to a specific person rather than an office. I'm not sure if the small group that makes up the society has a computer, so there may not be a web site or email. The Durham historical society building is small, has a tiny space with no heat. It used to be a one room school house. I don't think there's even a bathroom, so they are very limited in space and resources. Durham is a small town with no stop lights and one general store. All this is part of why I suggested contacting Lisbon. They're just over the river, a couple minutes away and the 2 towns have close ties. Being a bigger town (though still simply a town, not city) they're better funded, though even their society doesn't have that much space.
I'm wondering if you may have better luck contacting the town office. There's no name listed for society, but Debbie Larrabee tends to be the person who writes articles for the town in the local papers, maybe try her? She's listed as health officer. Good luck and I hope you finally get some information!
http://durhamme.com/

This may also be of interest, History of Durham,Me online free. On the side you can choose which format you prefer for viewing.
http://archive.org/details/historyofdurhamm00stac

Posted: 29 Jul 2012 8:39PM GMT
I forgot to answer part of your query. Being such a small group I don't think there's an actual board,I'm pretty sure no elections as there's no need for officers (because of small size). They do stay active. There was an open house in June and I often see mention of various small events they have going. According to the Durham newsletter the building is old town hall/historic Union church. I had thought it had been a schoolroom; either I'm getting my buildings mixed up or it was also that at one time. If you want an idea of what goes into our small monthly newsletters you can contact the town office (207)353-2561; you can get them in your email.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions