Search for content in message boards

The Putman [Pootman] Family and the De Plater Family in Europe

The Putman [Pootman] Family and the De Plater Family in Europe

Posted: 18 Mar 2010 7:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Jul 2013 5:34PM GMT
Surnames: Putman, Putnam, Broel, Plater
The Y-DNA of the Putman family that was once known as the Pootman family is an exact match with the De Plater family.

This is exciting news. Perhaps, the De Plater family is the Broel-Plater family from West Hemmerde, Germany, which is in the Ruhr Valley or Ruhrpott sometimes called just the Pott.

The Pootman/Putman family was also known as the Pottman family particularly in New Jersey, USA, and it seems that the family was anciently from the Ruhrpott. The name Ruhrpott means the Ruhr Basin. Pott is said to mean basin or scuttle. The Ruhrpott is also called the Kohlenpott, the Coal Scuttle.

The names Pootman, Pottman, Puttman, and Putman are common to this region. And, it is said that all the names mean pitman or miner from the Latin word "puteus", which means a pit or well. The Rutger Putmanus family of Germany used in its coat of arms a "puteimer" or a cleaning pail or bucket. "Putz" in Germany means to clean, and "eimer" means a bucket.

In Belgium the name Pootman seems to mean portman or gateman, and this terminology might also be true in Northeast Germany.

Anyway, it appears that today, there are Putnam's/Putman's in America whose Y-DNA is more distance to each other then the Y-DNA of today's De Plater family is to what appears to have been the Y-DNA of Johannes Pootman, which one American Putman today has as his Y-DNA.

I also note that the American Putman/Pootman family seems to come from Aalburg, North Brabant, Netherlands, which is across the Rhine River from the Town of Hemmert. The Broel-Plater family was from West Hemmerde, Germany. Both Hemmert and Hemmerde were known early on as "Hammerithi", which seem to mean "Hammer Woods". The name Plater may mean "Plate Metal Maker". A hammersmith is also known as a blacksmith. This area was the coal and iron area of Europe, and mining and smelting were common, here.

Mark R. Putnam

Re: The Putman [Pootman] Family and the De Plater Family in Europe

Posted: 18 Mar 2010 8:14PM GMT
Surnames: Putman, Putnam, Pootman, Plater
Hi,

This might be a coninsidence, but the children of Johannes Pootman [Putman] were said to have received land just west of Schenectady, New York, about 1706 from Queen Anne. Today this area is along Putnam Road. Putnam Road ends at Plotter Kill, which is Dutch, and is reported to be a corruption of Plat Kill which means "Flat Creek".

The creek was also called "Platter Kill".

In Dutch "plat" means flat, while "Plaat" means plate, sheet, or slab. Could the name Plotter Kill be a relic of the past and really mean "Plater's Kill". The stream, or creek, certainly is not flat as it has a steep water fall.

The land about Plotter [Platter] Kill was the early home of the Putman/Putnam family in America.

Mark R. Putnam

Posted: 4 Oct 2010 12:36AM GMT
Surnames: Pootman, Pottman, Potman, Pothamn, Poetman, Puettmann, Putman
To keep our Pootman/Putman relatives up to date: I have located a Victor Puettmann who was born about 1700 in Duelmen, Germany, which is just above the Lippe River and just above the Ruhrpott. The word "putt" with an umlaut over the "u" or the English equavilent "puett" means a well. The Rutgerus Putmanus family of the Lippe River area used in its coat of arms a puteimer, which really might be a well-bucket. There are three [water] buckets on the coat of arms of this family.

The De Plater family originally came from Hemmerde, Germany, which is just east of Unna and between the Ruhr and Lippe Rivers. The Y-DNA of the Dutch-American Pootman/Putman is identical to the De Plater family's Y-DNA, and the names Pootman, Potham, and Poetman and Brule the ancient name of the Broele-De Plater family are common to the area between Unna, Geseke, [and Duelmen] Germany.

I don't know if we are related to Victor Puettmman or not, but it does appear that Johannes Pootman's father was a Victor Pootman [Puettmann?] likely of Aalburg, North Brabant, Netherlands. Victor Pootman was born about 1620 while Johannes or Jan was born in 1644. There is a possibility that the Pootman and Puettman families are connected.

There also was a Victor Putman who lived just south of Ghent, Belgium, during the early 1800's.

In Belgium the name Putman likely means wellman or pitman as does the German surname Puettmann. In Belgium Pootman likely means portman of gateman while along the Ruhr River the name Pootman is more likely connected with Pothmann and Poetman, which seem to mean Poolman or Puddleman, which is also connected or corrupted from Puetmman [Wellman]. A pool today in German is "pfutze" while a well is a "putt".

I have seem a connection between the surnames Pootman and Portman in the Ruhr Valley although it appears closer to the Belgium border.

Posted: 23 Jul 2013 3:29AM GMT
Surnames: Heimsaeer, Heimplaetzer
I have been doing some research per several surnames around the Hemmerde, Westfalen, Germany. The LDS FamilySearch web site has put the indexes of Hemmerde Churches on-line with images to come.

Doing a quick search, there are a few Poot births - no 'man' at the end. The search hasn't turned up any 'De Plater' names for Hemmerde. But that could be due to that not close enough to the spelling in the search.

Two things which you should be aware of
1) Hemmerde is close enough to Luenern and to Flierich that there was some exchange of citizens
2) That region used Hofnames into the 1800's. Families would change the last name to match the estate/farm name).
They would put a 'gen.' between the last name born with and the newly acquired estate's last name.

A lot of other regions went to the Nachnames - inheriting the surname rather than the estate name a lots earlier. (Germans used occupations for surnames but that would have a lots of people with the surname of Farmer.)

I am looking for Heimsaeer, Heimplaetzer, Kettwichter, ... from that region. I haven't seen any my surnames marrying into the Poot's.

Posted: 24 Jul 2013 5:56PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jul 2013 6:03PM GMT
Surnames: Pootman, Putman, Poet, Poit, Pot
I find an interesting possible relationship between two towns originally called Hemarithi.

Hemmerde, Germany, was first called Villa Hamarithi [in pago Borahtron, in the region of the Bruktere].

Hamarithi is the old name for both Nederhemert, The Netherlands, and Hemmerde, Germany, with “neder” meaning lower and Hamert and Hemmerde meaning it seems “Ford” or “Ford Gathering”.

The Broehl de Plater family was from the “The Ford Gathering”, West Hemmerde and Hemmerde, Germany, while Victor Pootman the ancestor of the American Putman family and we assume an apparent relative of the Broehl's, lived in Aalburg just across the Mass River from “The Lower Ford” or Nederhemert, The Netherlands.

This might be a coincidence, but why would both places originally be called Hamerithti?

There was a Victor Poet, Pot, or Poit, who lived in the 17th Century just north of Broehl Pond, West Hemmerde, Germany, in Flierich, Germany, who also may have been a relative of Victor Pootman.

Place names having the same root as Nederhemert and Hemmerde are Amersterdam, and Amerstel. I wonder it Hamm, Germany,might also have the same root.

I also wonder it the home of Victor Poit might not have been the town of Peddinghausen, which is just west of Flierich, Germany, and close to Hamm, Germany.

I understand Peddinghausen to mean Pit-house.

Thanks, for your information.

Posted: 26 Jul 2013 11:19PM GMT
Surnames: Broehl, Poit, Poot, Heimsaeer, Hoelings, Notte, Schmalen
Sorry, I cannot help. You are about a century before where I am in researching the Hemmerde area currently

I did a Hemmerde search and you are one of the few people that have ever posted on any board for this village. You seemed to be struggling between two surnames - which for this area, they could be one in the same family. (You mentioned both Broehl & Poit/Poot in the Hemmerde area.)

I can imagine there may be some migration between the Hemmerde and Nederhemert - trade, military, pilgrimage. I would guess that the importance of the cities' original names would matter depending on when the migration happened. As you mentioned, there are several cities which are traced to 'Ford Gathering' and thus might be a coincidence at a later date.

The church records seem to start about 1730 so any advice how to get back any further? The Hemsaeer's were from a very small village Siddinghausen - most searches of this name go to Siddinghausen in Bueren. The Hoelings are in Flierich and Hemmerde and assumed the Himplaesser estate/name. Nott/Notte seem to be in Flierich and he assumed the Tapprogge farm/estate/name. Schmalen was born in 1735 in Hemmerde.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic