Search for content in message boards

Henning family from Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Germany

Henning family from Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Germany

Diane B. Laubenstein (View posts)
Posted: 24 Nov 2002 6:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Henning, Merkel
My paternal grandmother was Elise Johanna Merkel (nee Henning) from Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Germany. She was born in 1893 & immigrated to Wisconsin in the early 1900's. Her parents' names were Henry & Minnie Henning. If anyone has any information on my grandmother's family, I would greatly appreciate it. I haven't had any luck on the Ellis Island website and I know she immigrated through there because she told my dad & siblings that she saw "the lady".

Re: Henning family from Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Germany

Posted: 24 Nov 2002 3:29PM GMT
Edited: 7 Feb 2004 3:01AM GMT
Hi Diane,

Did Elise Johanna Henning come over with her parents?
Did she have any siblings?
Have you found the family in 1910 or 1920 census?
The 1910 and 1920 lists the year of immigration.
Where in Wisconsin did the immigrate to?
Where were the Merkels in 1920?
Who did Elise Henning marry, when, (first name?) Merkel.
How did you know they came from Mecklenburg? documents?

Some of my Kruse came over to Wisconsin in 1869 from Mecklenburg-Schwerin and I have had good luck in finding them all in census, passenger lists, and German church records, so I would be glad to help but need the above info.

My website: Kruse Family from Germany
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fkruse/

Diane Laubenstein (View posts)
Posted: 26 Nov 2002 2:40AM GMT
Surnames: Henning, Merkel
My grandmother, Elise Johanna Henning, came over from Mecklenburg-Schwerin with her parents, Henry & Minnie (short for Wilhelmina?). She had a twin brother, but I don't know about any other siblings. They settled in Sheboygan, WI and she married William Merkel, Sr. who was born in Sheboygan. I know she immigrated from Mecklenburg-Schwerin because my aunt told me. She is a younger sibling of my dad and knows a lot about the family history. They are Lutherans. I could call her to find out more about the siblings of my grandmother; my dad doesn't remember any more. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I could also find out when my grandparents were married. I have a picture, but no date. Thank you!
Diane Laubenstein

Posted: 26 Nov 2002 4:33AM GMT
Edited: 7 Feb 2004 3:01AM GMT
Hi Diane,

Thanks for the info, however I need more. Do you know when your great grandfather, Henry Henning died? or Minnie? I am trying to find them in the 1910 or 1920 Census in Wisconsin because the immigration year is given. The 1920 is indexed but don't see a Henning in Sheboygan. The 1910 is not indexed so you would need to search all of Sheboygan city for them, unless you knew a location, ward, etc, or if they indeed were in Sheboygan or not.

I did find William and Elise "Lizzie" Henning Merkel in the 1920 Census on 1319 7th Street, Sheboygan, WI. but it does not list the year of her immigration. It does say she and her parents were all born in Mecklenburg. Kids listed in 1920 are Wilbert 5, Alvanie (?sp) 4, Raula 3, and Pearl infant.

So if you know the dates of Henry and Minnie Henning deaths or where they were in 1910 and 1920 we could get the immigration year and go from there. I did look in the Ellis Island Records and could not find them yet, but this other information may help.

When did Elise get married? Based on ages of kids looks like 1914 or so, and if we can find her in 1910 she may be still with her parents with immigration year listed. She is listed as Naturalized in the 1920 Census, so these papers may also shed some light. Have you looked at any of these?

Another avenue is to consult with your local Sheboygan church and see if they have anything on Henry or Minnie Henning.

Posted: 25 Jan 2010 11:23PM GMT
Hi, I have been trying to trace my dads birth place for along time. My dad wa John Henning, twin to sister Elsie. Could be we are related?I have a cousinRonald son of Frank who graduated high school same year I did.If we are of the same family, do you know where in Germany they were born? Aunt Martha's obit states Mecklenburg , my dad's only says Germany.

Posted: 2 Feb 2010 6:06PM GMT
Hello, I think we are the same family. My father was John rwin to Elsie. Their parents were Minnie & Henry. There was another set of twins, Frank & Lizze from Milwaukee. I would like to hrar from you. I live in Cedar Grove wi.

Posted: 21 Oct 2012 6:36PM GMT
Surnames: Henning, Boerst, Doerflinger, Schuhmacher
Hi
I am not a Henning descendant but just recently learned of my connection to this family.
For many years I knew of the existence of an unnamed great-great-grand-aunt in Sheboygan, WI, mentioned as a surviving sister in the obituary of my great-great-grand-uncle Henry Christian Boerst of Dunkirk, NY, in 1933.

I found Henry C. Boerst's (and my great-great-grandmother Louise's) father in a 1900 census from Basedow, Mecklenburg-Schwerin. The records show that their father Christian Boerst had been born in nearby Stavenhagen, a fact which I already knew from previous research, and was the correct age, so it was a positive match. Christian was shown as residing in the household of his son-in-law Heinrich Henning and his wife Wilhelmine (aka Minnie). Heinrich and Minnie's children were listed as: Frieda, Paul, Franz(Frank), Elise, August, and Martha.

Sure enough, this same family is found in the 1910, 1920, 1930, and 1940 censuses in Sheboygan, WI.

Wilhelmine "Minnie" Boerst Henning is the daughter of Christian and Charlotte Schuhmacher Boerst of Stavenhagen, Mecklenburg-Schwerin.

Perhaps you already knew this, but it was new to me as I do not have much access to German records. I only know that Henry Boerst, Louise Doerflinger, Minnie Henning, and August Carl Boerst were some of the children of Christian and Charlotte Schuhmacher Boerst, and that there were 3 Boerst brothers still alive in Germany in 1933.

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 2:40AM GMT
Surnames: Henning, Boerst
Thank you so much for all the information! Minnie was my great-grandmother and her daughter, Elise, was my paternal grandmother. Elise had a twin, Frank, and Minnie later on had another set of twins. I didn't really get to know my Grandma Elise; she spoke mostly German and I didn't see her real often, but my dad said she was a wonderful mother and he loved his Grandma Minnie. He spoke highly of her and when he was on his deathbed, he called to her! Minnie's youngest child, a daughter, lived to be almost 100 and passed away in the 2000's. I have her obituary, which gave a lot of information like sibling names, etc. It's great to have the names of Minnie's parents and siblings. I'm not a paying member of Ancestry right now, but it sure is a great way to get information! Is there something you need to know about the Hennings? I may be able to help. Thank you so much for contacting me! Let me know if I can help you or if you find out something more about the Hennings or Boersts.
Diane

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 2:52AM GMT
I'm sorry it's taken over 2 yrs. to respond to your posts. I found them today while I was reading a post from someone else. I never saw the e-mail about them, so I hope you are able to get this reply. My dad's mother, Elise (Lizzie) would be your father's sister. I knew there were 2 sets of twins and the siblings were all born in Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Germany except for the youngest one, who was born in Sheboygan. I know they sailed in 1908 on The Main to the Port of Baltimore. My grandma talked about the "pretty lady" (Statue of Liberty), but maybe they passed it on their way to Baltimore. My dad grew up in Sheboygan, I grew up in Milwaukee and now live near Madison. I hope you get this; it would be great to hear from you.
Diane

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 4:18AM GMT
I thought I'd send another reply to your posts from 2010. I sent you a previous reply in October also. I would really like to hear from you because you're right, we are related. I think we'd be 3rd cousins possibly. Anyway, Mecklenberg-Schwerin is in northeastern Germany, very near the Black Sea. I went to the Folk Fair at State Fair Park in Milwaukee in November and I found out that the people in northern Germany are of Scandinavian descent because Scandinavians settled there! That was a surprise. That area was called Pomerania (Pomeranian dogs are originally from there). There is a Pomeranian booth at the Fair so I talked to the man there and he told me about the area. It was very interesting! Please reply to this so we can compare notes. Since there were so many siblings in the Henning family, there have to be many descendants! Hope to hear from you soon. Diane
per page

Find a board about a specific topic