Search for content in message boards

FANNING from Co. Kilkenny

FANNING from Co. Kilkenny

Posted: 8 Jun 2013 11:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: FANNING, CLANCY, LINDEN, HARNET
Hello,

Taking a real shot in the dark here on very little concrete info.

Looking for 3 FANNING brothers who came to the US at varying times but ended up in Kansas -- at least 2 of them did …. By the 1870’s.

Mathew b. 1834-ish

Lawrence b. 1835-ish

(using headstone dates for above 2 brothers as the census info for their birth dates jumps around)

And,

Patrick b. 1852 Only found living w/ Mathew and Lawrence in 1880 and 1885 thereafter, no trace.

Also in 1885 is someone identified as “Nephew “ Bert Fanning 16 (1869) b. Ireland living with them

In Mathew’s obituary, it is mentioned that he came over as a young man from County Kilkenny. His immigration may have been c1855-1857.

Mathews last marriage was to a Mary CLANCY b. 1845-ish
Mary may have had a brother named Patrick Clancy b. 1855 born in Ireland who is living with them in 1880

In 1900, there is a 19 year old girl living in their household as a lodger/housekeeper, Joanna HARNET . Often lodgers were family and I have found a yet unproven connection of a Johanna Harnett Birth Date: 7 Jul 1879 borm Clounegarnane, Clare, Ireland Father: Timothy Harnett Mother: Eliza Clancy Harnett
May mean nothing but……………..

I am related to the brother Lawrence (married to Mary LINDEN b. in Irleand but married in 1872 in Missouri) who had a large family, Children are listed below in case there is some hint in naming pattern for parent names. All the children were born in Kansas.

Thomas
Mathew
John Edward
Margaret
Michael Francis
Patrick
Mary
Agnes
Lawrence M
Edward
William L “Leo
Also, a Daughter Catherine who died as an infant,

Brother Mathew has a smaller family: Mary/May, Annie and Lawrence

“Lawrence” is also a name that carries over into the 2rd generation.

Only other hint is that occupation was “Stockraiser” of horses - in addition to general farming.

Many thanks in advance for any help or guidance.

Re: FANNING from Co. Kilkenny

Posted: 17 Jun 2013 2:39PM GMT
Unlike most searches at least you have Kilkenny as the county. A good start. There is a baptism and marriage
data base for Kilkenny www.rootsireland.ie you should be able to find the parents names with at least one of the names, it is a paywebsite but that is common in irish ancestry. I note most of the Parish's start about 1820 give or 5+/- years you might be lucky. Start with the unusual names first, Lawrence & Matthew, William, Thomas and Edward
A baptism record comes with a father and mother's name and mother's maiden name, address/parish and date. Once you have the parents names you should be able to find all of their children.

If parents lived past 1864 which is the time of registration you can look them up on www.familysearch.org

There were no Lawrence or Mathew Fanning's in the 1849 Griffith Valuation used as a census substitute out of 64 Fannings.
3 x Thomas in Dunkitt Parish
1 Dysartmoon Parish
William Parish Burchurch & Tiscoffin
Edward x 2 in Parish Kells

The majority (90%)of Irish were tenant farmers.

www.genealogy.nationalarchives.ie has the Tithe Applotments from 1823-1837 (census substitute)

25 Fanning's:
William Fanning, Parish St. Maul's
Thomas Fanning, Parish Callan & another Parish Dysartmoon

www.igp-web.com + Kilkenny (once you know father's name there maybe gravestone inscriptions)

There are 8 Fannings in the current on line telephone book for Kilkenny and once you know the area your family came from you can contact them. Or, as I would do is write all 8
in the off chance someone would be able to help you.

Annette Code

Re: FANNING from Co. Kilkenny

Posted: 19 Jun 2013 7:17PM GMT
Annette, thank you for your reply and suggestions.

I've been looking since 2005 for some hint on these 3 brothers. So far nothing credible.

I have worked on IrelandRoots and burned up some money there -- nothing that looks promising. But will keep on checking back as there is always the chance for new records/opportunities that will present themselves. Tho' in 7 years, there has been little found that has been "new".

I don't see likely writing a polling letter blindly to Fannings currently living in Irelamd - a rather blatent violation of privacy -- rather, hoping there will be someone who has interest and will find the posting and reach out if they have interest and are looking for missing people in their ancestry. But, that's just me.......

Thanks again for your help!

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions