Search for content in message boards

Biggerstaff Hanging Tree

Hanging tree

Earl Peeler (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Biggerstaf
Cecil I am still interested in a picture of that marker as Ambrose Mills was my gggrandfather.

Hanging tree

Debbie Fowler (View posts)
Hi Cecil,
Don't forget to send the url to me! I would like to put a link on the county page and the RW page, pretty please???
Thanks
Debbie
CC for Rutherford County and
NC in the Revolutionary War

Biggerstaff Hanging Tree

Cecil Lovelace (View posts)
Surnames: Biggerstaff
I just wanted to let everyone know that I finally got a chance to go by and take a picture of the historical road side marker that marks the spot where the famous "Biggerstaff Hanging Tree" where nine Tories were hanged in 1780. I will be getting the film developed in a few days and will be glad to upload the photo with the inscription to anyone who would like it. I was told by my brother in law who just moved from the area recently that the tree was still standing until about 15-20 years ago.

Re: Biggerstaff Hanging Tree

Posted: 27 Jul 2001 3:25PM GMT
Classification: Death
Edited: 31 Jul 2001 3:14AM GMT
Surnames: Mills, Edney
I just discovered you message concerning photos of THE TREE. Could I send you my address with a check for you to send me a copy of the picture and a map with precise directions to the tree.

Is there anything on public record about the hangings?

Thanks,
Anne

Posted: 28 Jul 2001 3:25AM GMT
Surnames: Lovelace; Hamrick; Green
The tree is no longer standing, but a roadside marker stands near the former location of the tree. I posted a notice sometime ago and many replied with a request for a copy of the picture of the marker that I had taken. I scanned it and sent it to several people. I still have it somewhere on a disk or I could hunt the picture up again and scan it and attach it to an email if you like. As far as directions: Whiteside Rd. runs from Rutherfordton, NC to Sunshine. If you leave Sunshine (which is a community, not a town) headed toward Rutherfordton, the marker is on the right side of Whiteside Rd. about 2 miles from Sunshine. You should not have a problem finding it. There is some information about the tree and the Tories etc. but I would have to look that up also. It does give some info on the marker also.

Let Me know if I can help further.

Cecil

Posted: 28 Jul 2001 1:45PM GMT
Edited: 31 Jul 2001 3:14AM GMT
Surnames: Mills, Edney, Taylor
Thank you for the information. I hope to be in that area within the next year, and I am sure I can find the marker with your directions. Are there any other locations I should visit? My husband descends from Ambrose through his granddaughter who married Asa Edney.

phillip biggerstaff (View posts)
Posted: 23 Oct 2001 7:49PM GMT
would appreciate the download

Posted: 24 Oct 2001 2:11PM GMT
Edited: 20 Jun 2006 10:37AM GMT
Surnames: Eaves, Biggerstaff, Baxter
Cecil: thank you for your offer. I would be very interested in the download. I have assorted Biggerstaff folks who intermarried w/my Eaves clan., including a great aunt, Corrie Baxter Eaves, who m. Samuel B. Biggerstaff.

Posted: 15 May 2002 2:12AM GMT
I would love to know the history of the Biggerstaff Hanging tree and a picture is possible, and where it is located

Posted: 15 May 2002 4:05AM GMT
Surnames: Lovelace; Hamrick; Green
The Biggerstall Hanging Tree is no longer there. I was told it has not been that many years that it was cut down by the owners of the property. There is an historical plaque on the road near where the tree stood. It location: about two miles west of Sunshine on Whitesides Road. That's the road that runs from Spindale to Sunshine, in Rutherford County. The only history I know is what is given on the plaque. If you want a picture of the plaque, I may still have it in my database somewhere. I sent it to a number of people.

Thanks,

Cecil
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions