Search for content in message boards

Highland County, Ohio Sinclair families

Highland County, Ohio Sinclair families

Posted: 17 May 2002 2:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Jun 2004 11:10PM GMT
Surnames: Sinclair, Mishon, Elwood, Mays, Fenner, Lamb, Lewis, Olinger, Canaday, James, Sincler
I'm interested in making contact with others who are descended from the Sinclair families who lived in Highland County, Ohio, in the 1820's and 1830's and 1840's. My line is from John Sinclair b. abt. 1770 d. abt. 1826 and his wife Sarah Mishon b. abt. 1775 d. bef. 1840.

The children of John and Sarah Sinclair that I know of to date were: 1. Sarah Sinclair b. Feb. 14, 1798 in Fayette Co., KY. d. September 05, 1866 in Monroe, Jasper County, Iowa m. Henry Shaw Elwood December 12, 1816 in Ross County, OH. 2. Ann L. Sinclair b. Abt. 1799 in Kentucky d. Bef. May 1822 in Ohio m. December 09, 1817 in Ross County, Ohio to Littleberry Mays, Jr. 3. Mahala Sinclair b. 1800 in Kentucky d. July 20, 1866 in Derry Township, Pike County, Illinois
m. May 23, 1822 in Highland County, Ohio to the same Littleberry Mays, Jr. who married her younger sister, Ann, after Ann's death. 4. John W. Sinclair b. August 29, 1813

There were undoubtedly other children of John and Sarah, according to the 1820 and 1830 census records of Ross and Highland County, Ohio.

Other marriages in Highland County, Ohio, in the 1820's and 1830's, involving other Sinclair individuals were:

Abner Sinclair m. Elizabeth Fenner Aug. 10, 1826
Everet Sinclair m. Edith Lamb Sep. 10, 1833
Huldy Sinclair m. Thomas Lewis Dec. 7, 1826
John P. Sinclair m. Nancy Olinger May 24, 1832
William Sinclair m. Anna Canaday Feb. 21 1839
Maranda Sincler m. George James Feb. 2, 1837

Any information on these people would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Highland County, Ohio Sinclair families

Coleen (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jul 2002 9:06PM GMT
Surnames: Saint Clair/Sinclair,Brees
I have some of the Sinclair you have listed in Highland Co. OH. The Everet Sinclair you listed is Edward Sinclair, He is John P. Sinclair brother. They are also listed in the Clinton Co. OH. John P. Sinclair is my line. Do you have any information on my Sinclair lines. I will list my family.
Anna Saint Clair
Asenath (Minerva)
Phebe
Lovecey
Elizabeth
John P.
James
William
Stacy
Edward

I hope you can help me, any history , anything.
Do you know who there father & mother was? I have James & Rachel.
Thanks for any information
Coleen Sinclair Dill

Posted: 28 Jul 2002 12:46PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jun 2004 11:10PM GMT
I'm afraid I don't quite understand your message here. You said John P. Sinclair is your line, and the person who the marrige records of Highland Co., OH., listed as Everet Sinclair is actually Edward Sinclair and he was a brother of your John P. Sinclair. That I understood.

I do not understand the rest of this tho. You said you would "list my family" and you listed a bunch of names, but I'm not sure who these people are. No dates, no relationships, etc. Then you asked if I know "who there father & mother was". Whose father and mother? Then you say you think the father and mother was James and Rachel??? I do not know of any James or Rachel Sinclair. I'm afraid I just don't get your meaning here. It is just not very clear. Sorry.

Coleen (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jul 2002 4:52PM GMT
Surnames: St.Clair/Saint Clear, Olinger and many more.
I am sorry about that. I think I was listing John P. Sinclair brothers and sister. I had a land record that had there names on when the land was sold. It listed James and Rachel as father & mother. The children was listed in Clinton Co. and Highland Co. Ohio. I was just telling you that it wasn't Everet,it was Edward Sinclair.
Coleen

Coleen (View posts)
Posted: 9 Aug 2002 8:07PM GMT
Kelly are saying that your family of Sinclair connects to John P. Sinclair that md Nancy Olinger?
Coleen

Kelly Greer (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 2002 10:29PM GMT
No, as I mentioned in the first message in this thread, the children I listed as children of my Sinclair ancestor were the children that I knew of "to date".

Then I listed "Other" marriages in that area that also involved Sinclair individuals. I made no mention of any connection between John P. Sinclair other than to mention the fact that he was married in the same area where my Sinclair ancestors lived. I have no idea if he's related or not.

Posted: 3 Oct 2002 9:28PM GMT
Surnames: Sincalir, Mishon
Kelly,

I too am of her descentant. She was my Great grandmother was Jonnie Grace
Elwood, Her Fathers name is John Sinclair Elwood, Sarah was Her Grandmother.
I would be greatful for all info you have on our family

Randy Poland (View posts)
Posted: 22 Nov 2002 4:15PM GMT
Kelly, I am looking for any info on a George Sinclair born 1830 or 31. He lived in Union County Ohio from at least 1859 to 1877. Was married to Louisa Locke in 1859. He owned a large farm and was a Capt. in the 32nd ovi during the civil war.
Thank You, Randy

Posted: 29 Jan 2004 5:31PM GMT
Surnames: Sincler, Sinclair
My husband is descended from Maranda Sincler and James George of Highland Co., Ohio. Her parents were James Sinclair and Mary Bundy. I'm searching for any info. on James and Mary's family. Sheryl

Posted: 27 Jul 2004 5:36AM GMT
Edited: 2 Sep 2004 7:24AM GMT
Hi, I am descended from Marandas brother John Sinclair. Maranda is buried at Arcadia Brethren cemetery, Hamilton or Tipton County, Indiana. Also their sister Emily, who married a Carson. John is buried nearby in the Forkner family cemetery near Atlanta with his wife Jane Barnard Sinclair. Their children were Elizabeth, Mary (Mollie) Lucinda, Jasper, Isabel, and James. John died in 1863. I have some more info especially of course on the line of Marandas brother, my ggg grandfather John. would like to discuss this family with you, if you are interested please let me know. I am from the area where they lived, in Indiana.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic