ROGERS, Cynthia, niece, 14, AR TN NC
BRAY, Mary E., niece, 9, AR KY AR.
Thank you, Vonnie Looper Munnerlyn

Re: ROGERS/BRAY - Johnson Co, AR

Posted: 21 Jul 2007 6:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bray, Rogers
Hi Vonnie,
I too am seeking the parents of Mary E. Bray (ref. 1880 Perry Twp, Johnson Co, AR census). I assumed that her mother's name was Rogers. I found ,using Rootsweb a marriage between James K. P. Bray and Mary E.Rogers 15 Sep 1872 in Johnson Co, AR. Using family info that Mary's maiden name was Bray and the 1900 MO, Jasper Co, Galena Twp census, I learned that Mary was born May 1872, her parents: father born KY, mother born AR, previously married with a Hazel Bates b. Aug 1888 AR. Again using Rootsweb marriage index I found: Eliza Bray m. Aaron Bates on 3 May 1888 in Polk Co., AR. 1900 census has Mary's marriage to John C. Moore as abt. 1892. 1910 census Oklahoma, Creeke Co., Depew Twp gives Mary's middle initial as "E". Family says E is for Elizabeth.
In 1870 I found James Bray and others(prob. cousins?)
staying with E. Yearwood in Johnson Co.,AR. B. abt.1845 KY.
I traced James(w/parents) in 1860 and 1850 to Nelson Co, KY. Father's name was Job in 1860& 1870,Joel in 1850, Jobe in 1880; all in Nelson Co, KY. Job's father was Henry b.1798, g-father was William b. 1766, other ancestors can be found on Rootsweb.Neither James nor Mary are found after 15 Sep 1872.
On Rootsweb under Joseph C Rogers b. 1790 TN, I found a reference to a will:In his 1986 book, Daniel Alen Rogers recounts how he was looking for the parents of Thomas J. Rogers when he came across information that Thomas had a sister named either Elmyra or Almira, daughter of Joseph Rogers, and that she had married a Joseph Stewart. Daniel then found a will dated 1881 in the Probate Records of Johnson County, Arkansas that indicated the following:

"Joseph C. Rogers, dec. E. D. Reynolds, adm. Heirs: Children: Henry L. Rogers; William W. Rogers; Rebecca Pearson; Mary F. Reynolds. Grandchildren: J. C. Rogers; A. J. Rogers; J. M. Rogers; W. H. Rogers; David Rogers; Lucinda Reynolds; Joseph Rogers; Crockett Rogers; Rebecca Rogers; Cynthia Rogers; Eliza Bray."

The first seven grandchildren's names match those known children of Thomas J. Rogers, exactly. Some have said that Thomas' father was named Charles. We have not come across this name, but it is possible that the "C" in Joseph's name stands for Charles. Many people, of course, have been called or known by their middle name. Others have said that there has to be some discrepancy in the above mentioned will. At this point in time we can only speculate as to the truth of over one hundred years ago. I take this to establish beyond speculation that Mary "Eliza" Bray was either a granddaughter or a great-granddaughter of Joseph C Rogers ;also that her mother or both parents were dead by the probate of the will(1881).Although there was a James K. Polk Bray that married Frances Davis in Howell Co, MO abt. 1875 and lived to 1921.
Since Mary Bray's mother was not listed in the will we can assume she died before 1881.I have tried to trace the children of Joseph C Rogers in case Mary Bray was a g-grandchild but no luck.
Hoping you have found something besides all this since 2005. You probably knew this already. Please help.
Jack D. Messer E-Mail: jrmesser@ earthlink.net

Posted: 22 Jul 2007 12:14PM GMT
Hello, Jack. It was great to get your posting. It would be easier and quicker if we use e-mail to communicate. My address is vonnielm@charter.net

Thanks, Vonnie Looper Munnerlyn

Posted: 19 Nov 2008 5:16PM GMT
Vonnie and Jack,
Have you read my recent posts on the Estate Settlement of Joseph C. Rogers from Johnson County, Arkansas, who died 24 Jun 1881? If you are interested, I will be more than happy to provide you both with actual copies of these handwritten documents. Will need your mailing address to do this. Don't have a way to email them.

Jack, the marriage of Eliza Bray to Aaron Bates is in Pope Co. not Polk Co. AR. Many folks do confuse these two counties. I live in Pope Co.

My husband is from the Almira Rogers/Joseph Stewart family.

Also, do you have any proof of a Joseph Rogers who was born in 1790 who lived in Johnson Co. AR? I have never found anyone this age in this county.

Lina Boyd

linajaneboyd@hotmail.com

Posted: 12 Dec 2008 4:06AM GMT
Hello, I am researching my family tree. Pearson is my family name. We did DNA tests and There is Robinson and Bates that shows strong match. I see these names in your family here, also Rebecca Pearson, do you have any information on her and the connection to your family? Thanks!!

Posted: 12 Dec 2008 4:07AM GMT
OOps, I ment Rogers, not Robinson

Posted: 25 Jan 2009 5:22PM GMT
Donna,
Please email me at linajaneboyd@hotmail.com for information on the family of Rebeeca Rogers who married Lewis/Louis Pearson from Johnaon County, Arkansas.

They were married there on 04 Apr 1857 Book N page 19. Rebecca was the daughter of John M. Rogers and Cynthia. You can find her listed with them in the 1850 census. Rebecca and Louis have tombstones in Brown Cemetery northeast of Lamar, Arkansas. Rebecca's dates: 11 May 1833 - 11 Jan 1911. Louis's dates: 20 Nov 1831 - 18 Aug 1885. His mother was named Jane, Don't know his father.

Children:
1. Sarah Pearson 1853 TN (Was she a child by a former wife?)

2. Martha A. E. Pearson 05 May 1858 married John James Wilkins

3. John Thomas Pearson 1860 - 1935 married Georgia Ann Eliza Matthews

4. Rachel Sophronia Pearson 02 Nov 1862 - 06 Nov 1950 married Thomas W. Johnson

5. Joseph Lafayette Pearson 1866 - 1954 married Dora Jane Mathews

6. Sally Ellen Pearson 1869 - 1905 married John H. Lewis and John A. Seeman

7. Mary L. "Molly" Pearson 21 Feb 1871 - 13 May 1906 married Matthew Stewart Daniel

8. Seth A. Pearson 11 Apr 1872 - 13 Feb 1939 married S. Victoria Patterson

9. James D. Pearson 18 Feb 1874 - 29 May 1958 married Ora Vandelar Clark.

Many of these children are buried in Holman Cemetery northeast of Lamar at the community of Lutherville.

Will be glad to share what I have on this family. My husband is the one related to the ROGERS family. His line is Almira or Elmira Rogers who married Joseph Stewart.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic